Author Topic: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond  (Read 18644 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:04:00 AM by TalkLeft »

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
The state motion above is the one filed on June 1st.  It filed another, titled as a response to Zimmerman's June 22 request to set reasonable bond.

June 28 State Response to Defendant's Request to Set Reasonable Bond

Offline Rumpole

• Rate Post +0/-0
    • Random Topics
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Judge: I'll rule Thursday on Zimmerman's bond motion
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel
4:58 p.m. EST, July 3, 2012

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-03/news/os-george-zimmerman-no-bond-decision-20120703_1_bond-motion-county-courthouse-teenager

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »
Court to announce order July 5

The judge in George Zimmerman's second-degree murder case said Tuesday that he expects to rule Thursday on whether to release the defendant or keep him locked up in the Seminole County Jail.

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. made the announcement at the close of his afternoon court session.

He has begun drafting the order, he told the nearly-empty courtroom, and expects to file it Thursday.[/url]

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
Just saw that article about ruling Thursday. He said he's started writing the order. If he was going to let him out, why not  rule orally, and follow with a  written ruling? It sounds like he's writing carefully because he knows his order will be appealed. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline pyrrho

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
I think he should stay in, and considering it was his silence at question, as to his respect for the integrity of the court, I think silence was entirely the wrong approach.  I wonder if it was GZ or O'Mara that decided that, exactly... I imagine O'Mara but that would mean he doesn't trust GZ at all... if O'Mara has stuck to how they didn't really have a nefarious plan but more just a random scheme, then the prosecutors could only have asked him about that, yes?  That's bad if you can't trust a self-defense defendant to speak for themselves about apparent misconduct on his part.

Offline Red

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
Just saw that article about ruling Thursday. He said he's started writing the order. If he was going to let him out, why not  rule orally, and follow with a  written ruling? It sounds like he's writing carefully because he knows his order will be appealed. Hope I'm wrong.

Maybe, because the prosecution and the media would start howling so it would be better to have his reasons for granting bond in writing and on the record without any delay.

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »
O'mara did a great job at the hearing. He tore the Judge's"Strong evidence" to pieces and showed the true aspects of the case which he may or may not already been aware of.

George didn't lie or disrespect the court, He just invoked his right to remain silent, which he has every right to do. His wife on the other hand has been charged with perjury and she is innocent until proven guilty.

The defense has shown the judge sufficient evidence to why Zimmerman was not a flight risk and why he in fact did deserve bond. The judge wasn't officially aware that George had been assaulted to the extent that he had or that there was opposition to whose voice was screaming for help on the 911 calls.

I can't wait to read his decision and see the justifications that he gives for the decision he makes.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
So, does the state really think Zimmerman is a flight risk, or do they just want to dick him around to keep up the pressure to take a plea bargain?

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »
So, does the state really think Zimmerman is a flight risk, or do they just want to dick him around to keep up the pressure to take a plea bargain?

"Before finding someone guilty, the rules of criminal procedure require a hugely costly trial. Bail deprives people of their freedom no less than a post-trial sentence, but with the barest minimum of inquiry."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-06-18/news/bs-ed-zimmerman-bail-letter-20120618_1_defendant-returns-district-court-commissioners-maryland-law

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

If they deny him bond, O'mara will make a play for immunity. If that doesn't work, Zimmerman will have no choice but to stay in jail or take a plea. I can't see him taking a plea. You know though, If he's found innocent by a jury, The state is going to pay for keeping him in jail. I see all kinds of civil cases in the future of the parties involved.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
If they deny him bond, O'mara will make a play for immunity. If that doesn't work, Zimmerman will have no choice but to stay in jail or take a plea. I can't see him taking a plea. You know though, If he's found innocent by a jury, The state is going to pay for keeping him in jail. I see all kinds of civil cases in the future of the parties involved.

If Judge Lester denies Zimmerman bond, O'Mara will probably file a Habeas Corpus petition with the 5th District Court of Appeals.  I hope O'Mara is already working on it, because I have a bad feeling it will be needed.  I wish it were the 4th district instead of the 5th.   The 4th district court seems to be more in tune  with the Florida supreme court's opinions on bond issues.  In State v. Paul, the supreme court approved of the 4th DCA's decision in Paul v. Jenne, and disapproved of the 5th DCA's decision in Gardner v. Murphy.  Later in State v. Blair, the court approved of the 4th DCA's decision in Blair v. State, and chided the 5th DCA for ignoring Paul in its decision in Ricks v. State.  I recall reading several other state supreme court decisions in which a split between the 4th and 5th district courts was decided in favor of the 4th district.  I don't trust the 5th DCA to follow Paul.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 04:17:59 AM »
If Judge Lester denies Zimmerman bond, O'Mara will probably file a Habeas Corpus petition with the 5th District Court of Appeals.  I hope O'Mara is already working on it, because I have a bad feeling it will be needed.  I wish it were the 4th district instead of the 5th.

It's tough to compose a rebuttal in advance of seeing the order.  But, O'Mara can prepare himself by studying the relevant case law in the 5th district, as well as of the Supreme Court of Florida.

O'Mara is doing a piss poor job of trying this case in the public eye, by educating the public of FL law on bail.  Crump's team is having press articles that cause the reader to think that defendant's lack of respect for the court results in a court being unable to decide a case fairly under the law, so defendant's lack of respect for the court become per se justification for keeping him in jail.

I'm of a mind that O'Mara may be incompetent on the narrow issue of the right to be free on bail; either that, or he is part of the team that is putting the screws to Zimmerman to keep the mob placated; just that he wouldn;t tighten the screws quite as far.

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
It's tough to compose a rebuttal in advance of seeing the order.  But, O'Mara can prepare himself by studying the relevant case law in the 5th district, as well as of the Supreme Court of Florida.

O'Mara is doing a piss poor job of trying this case in the public eye, by educating the public of FL law on bail.  Crump's team is having press articles that cause the reader to think that defendant's lack of respect for the court results in a court being unable to decide a case fairly under the law, so defendant's lack of respect for the court become per se justification for keeping him in jail.

I'm of a mind that O'Mara may be incompetent on the narrow issue of the right to be free on bail; either that, or he is part of the team that is putting the screws to Zimmerman to keep the mob placated; just that he wouldn;t tighten the screws quite as far.

It seems O'mara is playing it a little closer to the hip right now. I have a feeling that he'll stay calm and cool until he brings out the big guns. He's by no means a push over and we will see a good defense from him.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:47 AM »
It seems O'mara is playing it a little closer to the hip right now. I have a feeling that he'll stay calm and cool until he brings out the big guns. He's by no means a push over and we will see a good defense from him.

Did you just mangle together "closer to the vest" with "shoot from the hip"?

Site Meter
click
tracking