Author Topic: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond  (Read 19326 times)

Offline Red

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
When he revoked bond and now, Lester has made statements that have poisoned the jury pool and impede GZ from receiving a fair trial. I've never seen anything like this before. 

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
The implications of this motion suggest that George would be better off staying in jail.

A. His safety is now at risk because he can't leave the county, though he shouldn't have to.

B. Lester all but told the prosecution that they should file Perjury charges against Zimmerman to have his bond revoked, if he posts bond. Remember, If any charges, whether they are true or not, are filed against George it revokes this bond order.

C. The 10% needed to pay a bondsman is a lot of money to gamble with. That could pay the expenses incurred for expert witnesses, which will be needed, whether it's a SYG hearing or a trial.

What's you're take on this and did I forget anything?

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
When he revoked bond and now, Lester has made statements that have poisoned the jury pool and impede GZ from receiving a fair trial. I've never seen anything like this before.

Agreed. How can he be angry that the integrity of his court has been questioned when he clearly has none.

According to the order, There's evidence that George was planning on fleeing. Where the hell does it get that information from? George immediately turned over the funds and his passport. Oh, It was because of the monitoring device... Because there's no way to cut that off? LMAO criminals do it all the time. So where is the intent to flee?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
B. Lester all but told the prosecution that they should file Perjury charges against Zimmerman to have his bond revoked, if he posts bond. Remember, If any charges, whether they are true or not, are filed against George it revokes this bond order.

What's you're take on this and did I forget anything?

Lester can't use the potted palm moment as a crime while on release.  It can't be sued for another bail revocation.  Nevermind, let me rephrase that.  The law doesn't allow it to be used to impose a no-bond status.  I keep forgetting that Lester doesn't have to follow the law, common sense, or rules of logic.

You do have a point.  Lester might be daring Zimmerman to come out and face mob justice.

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
Lester can't use the potted palm moment as a crime while on release.  It can't be sued for another bail revocation.  Nevermind, let me rephrase that.  The law doesn't allow it to be used to impose a no-bond status.  I keep forgetting that Lester doesn't have to follow the law, common sense, or rules of logic.

You do have a point.  Lester might be daring Zimmerman to come out and face mob justice.

If a person on Bond is charged with an additional crime, after being released, that usually creates a higher risk of flight, in the eyes of the prosecution. The prosecution would no doubt file a motion to revoke bond based on new charges. Further more, I believe Lester ordered George to stay in Seminole county to make it easier for him to be picked up and served with new charges.

There is clearly an issue with Lester's frame of mind. How does he figure that no evidence was presented to him that proved George acted in self-defense, but with the weak affidavit with no factual basis Lester called Strong evidence to support second degree murder?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
If a person on Bond is charged with an additional crime, after being released, that usually creates a higher risk of flight, in the eyes of the prosecution. The prosecution would no doubt file a motion to revoke bond based on new charges. Further more, I believe Lester ordered George to stay in Seminole county to make it easier for him to be picked up and served with new charges.

There is clearly an issue with Lester's frame of mind. How does he figure that no evidence was presented to him that proved George acted in self-defense, but with the weak affidavit with no factual basis Lester called Strong evidence to support second degree murder?

FL Law provides more or less automatic justification for no bond status on a crime committed while on release, 903.0471 or something like that.  That would not apply.  An additional charge brings additional bond, and the same factors that were brought to bear this time.  Lester's already said Zimmerman is in line to be convicted of a crime with a life sentence, that's as stern a penalty encouraging "flight risk" as there is, short of capital punishment.

As for assuming the state's evidence, that's the way the system is rigged.  All the rhetoric about defendant's rights is lip service.

I'd still file a 776.032 motion.  Lester is not the last word.  At this point, I don't think he is able or willing to render a fair ruling; but the quickest way out is 776.032 plus appeal an adverse conclusion.  I think the evidence in favor of Zimmerman is that strong, and the state's evidence is that weak.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
This time, Lester suggests at (e), that if the mob had mounted a credible threat of violence, that the release of Zimmerman would have posed a danger to the community.  IOW, even if Zimmerman is perfectly innocent, he should be kept in detention if any other member of the public would perpetrate a dangerous or illegal act if Zimmerman was to be released.

So all Crump has to do is get his supporters to engage in a little organized, murder and looting and GZ is back in the can?
Sharpton never had it so good.

Offline Jujube

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
B. Lester all but told the prosecution that they should file Perjury charges against Zimmerman to have his bond revoked,

Perjury?  GZ violated Florida Statute 903.035 but hasn't been charged with that.  That would have been a prior crime, not one committed while he was out on bond.   

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
"but for electronic monitoring, defendant and wife would have fled the US with $130,000 of other people's money"

So Shellie Zimmerman was correct when she stated she did not have money. It was in fact other peoples money. Lester just proved it. Her defense lawyer can take his statement to the bank.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
"but for electronic monitoring, defendant and wife would have fled the US with $130,000 of other people's money"

So Shellie Zimmerman was correct when she stated she did not have money. It was in fact other peoples money. Lester just proved it. Her defense lawyer can take his statement to the bank.

He was going to add -
And even if they didn't run they would have sufficient funds to hire competent legal consul that could make me look like a fool,

Offline Red

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
Exactly how long can one be on "the lam" on a mere $130k before extradited -- and especially with the case's notoriety?

Lester lacks common sense.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
Just a heads-up: No talk about "lynch mobs" here.  I've deleted those comments from the main TalkLeft page and will delete them here.

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
Perjury?  GZ violated Florida Statute 903.035 but hasn't been charged with that.  That would have been a prior crime, not one committed while he was out on bond.   

If he is charged with any crime while on bond his bond is automatically revoked, Right?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
If he is charged with any crime while on bond his bond is automatically revoked, Right?

No.  The statutory language is "committed a new crime while on pretrial release."

Offline Red

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
No.  The statutory language is "committed a new crime while on pretrial release."

Well, that is good news.

Can a defendant appeal the conditions of bail and do so even if he makes bail?

Site Meter
click
tracking