Author Topic: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond  (Read 16970 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman: Hearing to Re-Set Bond
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Can a defendant appeal the conditions of bail and do so even if he makes bail?

The first step is to move to have the conditions modified, but the short answer is yes, defendant can appeal the bond conditions.  Conditions are supposed to be such to ensure appearance in court, and to provide safety of the community, and no more than that.  I think many of the conditions that Lester imposes are done "just because he can," and he likes his power.  The 6pm-6an curfew is one, as is the total prohibition on alcoholic beverages, absent any finding that Zimmerman has a substance abuse problem.

Offline Red

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
The first step is to move to have the conditions modified, but the short answer is yes, defendant can appeal the bond conditions.  Conditions are supposed to be such to ensure appearance in court, and to provide safety of the community, and no more than that.  I think many of the conditions that Lester imposes are done "just because he can," and he likes his power.  The 6pm-6an curfew is one, as is the total prohibition on alcoholic beverages, absent any finding that Zimmerman has a substance abuse problem.

The curfew makes it more difficult to meet with his attys and investigators and prepare for his case and there is no reason for it.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
Alcohol had absolutely no bearing in this case. Why didn't Lester ban chocolate and sugar containing beverages over 12 ounces as well?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
The curfew makes it more difficult to meet with his attys and investigators and prepare for his case and there is no reason for it.

The legal ideal of "free on bail" is to be free.  Conditions are imposed in order to ensure appearance (hence the traceability device), to protect the community, and protect judicial impartiality/legal process (no contact with victim or witnesses).  DUI offenders are routinely ordered to abstain from alcohol, public safety justification.

I don't think Lester's curfew impedes meeting with O'Mara or investigators, I think it's just an "in your face" encroachment on liberty.

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0

Offline Aussie54

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »
Here's GZLC's response: http://gzlegalcase.com/index.php/press-releases/34-regarding-the-one-million-dollar-bond-set-for-george-zimmerman

They make some very good points about why the amount that was set for bond is an outrage. I am not in a position to offer any kind of help (as a foreigner I need to keep out of such things), and yes, I know a lot of people were afraid that this whole scenario was nothing more than an attempt to wipe out the defense fund  and it seems that people who thought that are correct.

What the site tells me is that there are a lot of expenses ahead which do not include the actual fees to the attorneys.

I remain of the view that the setting of a higher bond at $1,000,000 is unjustified by the facts, and especially the indigent status of the family.

Offline Aussie54

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Alcohol had absolutely no bearing in this case. Why didn't Lester ban chocolate and sugar containing beverages over 12 ounces as well?

I agree. I cannot see the relevance to the no alcohol ban.

Offline JAdams

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
"but for electronic monitoring, defendant and wife would have fled the US with $130,000 of other people's money"

So Shellie Zimmerman was correct when she stated she did not have money. It was in fact other peoples money. Lester just proved it. Her defense lawyer can take his statement to the bank.

Does this mean Lester has just become a witness in Shellie's perjury case?

Offline pyrrho

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
Wrong again, Pyrro. GZ has never been convicted of anything. His charge was reduced and then referred to pre-

I didn't say he was convicted of something, did I?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39:10 PM »
Above it was said that Shelly Zimmerman was innocent until proven guilty of perjury.  Not quite... she is either innocent or guilty in fact, right now... the legal system will treat her as under suspicion and not as if guilty... but the evidence is before us.  You can't pretend she's officially innocent until her case, you can claim she will exonerated as innocent, and I would disagree.  I'm not feeling a lot of Trayvon wasn't proved guilty and is innocent vibes in this. 

Someone at my channel on yt has argued that GZ did not hit that cop, because he plead down... it only counts what your convicted of, I am told.  Ok, good, TM was convicted of nothing... innocent till proven guilty.  No one has proved his guilt, starting a fight with the guy following him.

In my experience the State only allow pretrial diversion if they have absolutely no case or the defendant is connected.
What's your bet?

The only testimony we have - which  BTW - is consistant with all witness statements and GZ 's testimony given at risk of witness repudiation  shows Zimmerman to be justified,

Where is Trayvon on  trial?

Offline Jozz

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:44 PM »
In my experience the State only allow pretrial diversion if they have absolutely no case or the defendant is connected.
What's your bet?

The only testimony we have - which  BTW - is consistant with all witness statements and GZ 's testimony given at risk of witness repudiation  shows Zimmerman to be justified,

Where is Trayvon on  trial?

Doesn't this seem really one sided? Lot's of facts from our side lots of opinions on their side? I'd just be happy to see the facts they base their opinions off of. Doesn't look like any of them want to try and make the case.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
I didn't say he was convicted of something, did I?

It sounded to me like you did. You wrote:

Someone at my channel on yt has argued that GZ did not hit that cop, because he plead down... it only counts what your convicted of, I am told.  Ok, good, TM was convicted of nothing... innocent till proven guilty.  No one has proved his guilt, starting a fight with the guy following him.
Modify message

No one proved GZ's guilt on anything either and he didn't "plead down" because he never plead to anything. Whether it's your You Tube mate who said it rather than you, you are spreading it here, and comparing GZ to an "innocent" Trayvon when GZ has never been convicted and is just as innocent as Trayvon.

Offline cardinal

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 07:52:23 AM »
The alcohol restriction is a common condition.  At the first hearing when the judge set a $150,000 bond, he told Zimmerman at the time that he couldn't consume any alcohol and he imposed a 7-6 curfew.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
If the murder charge is dismissed would the bail be automatically readjusted.? If  not what would be required?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »
If the murder charge is dismissed would the bail be automatically readjusted.? If  not what would be required?

If the murder charge is dismissed, and nothing is provided to replace it, there will be no pending charge, and Zimmerman is free.

If the state substitutes a manslaughter charge for the murder charge, the bail remains the same.  The amount of bail is marginally predicated on the seriousness of the offense; and is more predicated on Zimmerman being a flight risk, as far as the court is concerned, in combination with a financial disincentive that assures he won't flee.  The size of the financial disincentive is supposed to be tied to the defendant's wealth and means of income.

Site Meter
click
tracking