Author Topic: Legal fees after possible acquittal  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Phil Volland

• Rate Post +0/-0
Legal fees after possible acquittal
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
As a foreigner who has been following this case I have a very basic question:

What exactly would happen to Zimmerman's legal fees if he was acquitted?

Just for comparison's sake, here his expenses would be paid up to a certain limit. That limit is meant to cover all necessary expenses. In practice it is often not enough to cover everything, but at least it is enough for a defender to do reasonably well out of it (and quite a bit more than the public defender rate.)

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Legal fees after possible acquittal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »
As a foreigner who has been following this case I have a very basic question:

What exactly would happen to Zimmerman's legal fees if he was acquitted?

Just for comparison's sake, here his expenses would be paid up to a certain limit. That limit is meant to cover all necessary expenses. In practice it is often not enough to cover everything, but at least it is enough for a defender to do reasonably well out of it (and quite a bit more than the public defender rate.)

It depends on what is left over. His current defense fund had about 40k in billed items plus the 85k additional  bond.  So the accounts payable took a 125k hit leaving him approx 85k still to work with.  Out of that his still has a lot of expenses that will be due for things like expert testimony, stenography, etc.

Now he has been pulling in about a $1000 a day but there could have been a surge from supporters after his $1m bond was announced a day or two ago. 

MOM bills out at $400.00p/hour and I don't know what Donald West charges, but it is probably comparable, and both of those men are hoping to be paid.  Donald West was taken on Pro Bono and MOM announced Pro Bono at the start.

Offline Examiner

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
Are they still working for free?

Offline cardinal

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
I think the OP was asking whether the government would be required to pay any of the defendant's legal fees if he is acquitted.  I think the statutory section shifting fees if the defendant is determined to be immune under 776.032 only applies to civil lawsuits, so I am not aware of a rule that would make the State of Florida pick up the costs for a nonindigent defendant.

Offline Phil Volland

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »
Thanks for your answers. Yes cardinal, that's what I meant.

Offline DizzyMissL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Complete BS that you can be acquitted and the State is not required to reimburse you for what their BS case has cost you.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Complete BS that you can be acquitted and the State is not required to reimburse you for what their BS case has cost you.

Are you saying that it's untrue, or just a lamentable situation?

Offline Expy

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »

So you think that OJ Simpson & Casey Anthony should be reimbursed the costs of their successful defenses to murder charges?

I'd point out the under the Constitution, criminal defendants who lack funds are entitled to have the state provide them a lawyer without cost and pay all expenses associated with their trial even when they are foun to be guilty.  Mr. Zimmerman has a lawyer who would be representing him for free but for the tens of thousands of dollars that have been donated online.   

Site Meter
click
tracking