Author Topic: Witness #8 (DeeDee)  (Read 255898 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Witness #8 (DeeDee)
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
What I find interesting is there is never a correction made, even with photographic evidence and the can collected, no one correctly identifies the product... NO ONE.
I find that strange.

People still call the NEN call GZ made a 911 call. It's just habit now and tough to break.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
Since you guys are talking about the watermelon v. tea thing, I'm curious about something: where was the first mention of "iced tea"? It was a police report, yeah?

More than one report. Search the document for 'tea' if you want to count them. At least one of the reports has 'ice tea' instead of 'iced tea.'

I've wondered if there was a reluctance to ID it as "watermelon" for any of a number of reasons.

What are the others?

I don't know why folks don't just call it a 'fruit punch' or 'fruit drink' or the like. I avoid the issue by calling it a 'beverage.'

I can't really see TM--if he was on the phone with her--saying "yeah I'm gonna get an Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginsing." when he could just say "I'm getting a drink hold on."

He mentioned it, he didn't mention it. Wouldn't surprise me one way or the other. Dee Dee might have asked him what he was buying.

Dee Dee, SAO, 4/3, 19:32-42
De la Rionda: I think I already asked you, but let me make sure. He did tell you what he was at the store, that he had gotten some candy or something, and you said iced tea, right?

Dee Dee: Yes.   

Dee Dee hadn't said 'iced tea' in the recorded interview. She said 'some food, and some drink' (4:29-37).

The July 12 evidence release has a summary of the interview before the recording started (p. 36). It also doesn't say 'iced tea.' It says 'a drink and candy.'

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
Well that question is cleared up. Onward!

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
I agree that there are many reasons to suspect Dee Dee was coached. I don't think 'iced tea' is one of them. She could have picked it up from the media, and came to believe it was something Martin told her. Memory research has shown such confabulation to be quite common.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Since you guys are talking about the watermelon v. tea thing, I'm curious about something: where was the first mention of "iced tea"? It was a police report, yeah? Even though they (the police) had a picture of the can in their report.

Is that accurate? Not that it has anything to do with DD, I'm just curious.

I've wondered if there was a reluctance to ID it as "watermelon" for any of a number of reasons.

I can't really see TM--if he was on the phone with her--saying "yeah I'm gonna get an Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginsing." when he could just say "I'm getting a drink hold on."

But tea...that came from a specific place.

I agree that it's unlikely that Martin would have read off the entire ingredients label to her, but perhaps teens down there call anything with the AriZona brand on it "tea".

Maybe he said "I'm getting Chad some Skittles and I'm getting me some watermelon tea.", or maybe he said "I'm getting Chad some Skittles and I'm getting me some  tea.", and didn't mention the watermelon part.

I suspect that the police saw "AriZona" on the can and just called it iced tea (before this case I didn't know they made anything that wasn't technically tea, even if flavored), and by the time the technicality of the flavor was revealed, most people thought "watermelon, black person, no, don't think I want to go there" for fear of being thought to be bringing up or re-enforcing a stereotype.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Wasn't it a Honda Ridgeline? I wouldn't call that a truck (as someone who owns both SUV's and trucks). I frequently refer to my Expedition as the car (and for some bizarre reason it's registered as a "station wagon" while the Explorer a friend owns is registered as an "SUV").

Doesn't a Ridgeline have something that's like a pickup bed, only perhaps smaller?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

If you think that's credible then you have to wonder if TM suspected GZ was possibly reporting him.

Reporting him for what?  Felony Skittles possession?

Regardless of whatever Zimmerman may have thought, there's no evidence Martin was doing anything wrong or had any need to fear the police.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »

Wikipedia on Honda Ridgeline.

Looks like a car to me.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »

Regardless of whatever Zimmerman may have thought, there's no evidence Martin was doing anything wrong or had any need to fear the police.

That kind of begs the question: Why would TM run from someone sitting in a truck and talking on the phone? Even if GZ was also watching him? Not exactly dangerous. And why wouldn't he call 911 if he thought there was a skinhead pedophile stalker in the neighborhood? Didn't he care about the other small skittle loving children in the neighborhood?

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
I would say that Dee Dee did tell to run at some point. That point was at 7:11 and change.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Doesn't a Ridgeline have something that's like a pickup bed, only perhaps smaller?

Yes.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:03 AM »
I agree that it's unlikely that Martin would have read off the entire ingredients label to her, but perhaps teens down there call anything with the AriZona brand on it "tea".

Maybe he said "I'm getting Chad some Skittles and I'm getting me some watermelon tea.", or maybe he said "I'm getting Chad some Skittles and I'm getting me some  tea.", and didn't mention the watermelon part.

I suspect that the police saw "AriZona" on the can and just called it iced tea (before this case I didn't know they made anything that wasn't technically tea, even if flavored), and by the time the technicality of the flavor was revealed, most people thought "watermelon, black person, no, don't think I want to go there" for fear of being thought to be bringing up or re-enforcing a stereotype.

I'm glad you said it that--because it's one of the questions I had. I didn't bring it up because of the PC factor and because it really doesn't matter--except if we're going to question the accuracy of the SPD, if they can't get fairly simple details right.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

LOL. You don't want us to assume anything about TM but you'll assume thoughts about GZ.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
Wikipedia on Honda Ridgeline.

Looks like a car to me.

From your link:

Class    Mid-size/full-size sport utility truck
Body style    4-door truck
Layout    Transversely-mounted front engine, four-wheel drive

8) ;D

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
It's pertinent to her statement, but perhaps you are right.

Part of it is. It appeared we were heading off toward a discussion of Watermelon Cocktail etc and moving away from what she said or heard.

Site Meter
click
tracking