Author Topic: How far did SPD get into their investigation?  (Read 42430 times)

Offline willisnewton

• Rate Post +0/-0
How far did SPD get into their investigation?
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
We now have a great deal of information, documents and recordings outlining the investigation conducted by Sanford Police.  Without benefit of a lawyer, GZ gave them many statements and they collected a good deal of evidence.  What did they miss, as evidenced by later actIons?  What did they catch? Should it have ended there or not?   What could local prosecutor norm Wolfinger have done with just what the SPD found?  What if they had more time? 

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: How far did SPD get into their investigation?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
It doesn't seem like the FDLE and State's Attorney's office did much more than the Sanford Police. I think we'll know Monday when the new discovery is available.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
We now have a great deal of information, documents and recordings outlining the investigation conducted by Sanford Police.  Without benefit of a lawyer, GZ gave them many statements and they collected a good deal of evidence.  What did they miss, as evidenced by later actIons?  What did they catch? Should it have ended there or not?   What could local prosecutor norm Wolfinger have done with just what the SPD found?  What if they had more time?

It would have been nice to see a rigorous, questioning and  vetting of DeeDee's statement as appears to have been done with John

Offline labrat

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
Doesn't look like they bothered to interview the 7-11 clerk.

Offline Aussie54

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »
It would have been nice to see a rigorous, questioning and  vetting of DeeDee's statement as appears to have been done with John
Yes indeed, DeeDee was softballed and there are so many things wrong with her statement that it is hard to know where to begin. There are so many inconsistencies with her statement.

Offline willisnewton

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: additional facts established by FDLE
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:31:36 AM »
You could also look at it this way: the FDLE worked to uncover more but were not able to find more due to the time that had passed.  How would the investigation have proceeded if SPD knew TM was talking on the phone at the time of  the altercation, or what might they have learned had they secured his vehicle as part of the initial investigation? The prosecutors had a date to speak with George but he changed his mind; what was he likely to be asked at that time?  IMO the Sanford PD established in their final questioning session, the one where they finally play the non emergency call to dispatch that GZ mischaracterized a major part of his story, namely the way he traveled from near the clubhouse to the T intersection and that GZ was presented with his contradictions repeatedly and offered the chance to amend his statement but declined, thus forming the framework for the prosecution's strategy of attacking his credibility and demonstrating that he is hiding actions they can use to show a jury he had a different motive than the one he claimed for exiting his vehicle and for moving his vehicle.  There is "the crime" and there is "the cover up."  SPD arms to have found at least one of those, IMO.   GZ told dispatch that TM was "at the clubhouse" when he came to approach GZs vehicle - he says  the two things seemingly in the same breath.  Yet later he claims this action by TM is one of doubling back from near the T and circling GZs vehicle, an action that is impossible to reconcile credibly with the recording. GZ also made the claim he was directed by dispatch to move from the clubhouse parking lot (in so many words) and this stands in opposition to the idea that he was already parked at the cut thru as the recorded call began.  It seems to me that SPD concluded their interviews with GZ convinced he was pushing a false narrative at least in those regards, but lacking Dee Dee  or a good eyewitness to the start of the physical aspect of the altercation knew the case for murder was weak but that GZ wasn't fully credible.

Somehow the special prosecutor is behaving in a manner that suggests they can take the case to trial and prove Murder in the second degree.  What do they have that Serino did not?  We don't know, but we can make a few guesses.  perhaps all the prosecution needed was time to sift the clues. 

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »
Michael Nifong acted in a way that indicated he believed he could prove that a rape occured despite having contradictory DNA evidence.

When the case is politically charged, suspect bluster.

In anycase we should have a very good grasp on the states case by Monday. We have yet to be exposed to evidence and witnesses discovered by the defense,.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
The SPD And The Martins
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
  How would the investigation have proceeded if SPD knew TM was talking on the phone at the time of the altercation,

They would have known Trayvon was on the phone that night if the Martins had told them.

His being on the phone 'at the time of the altercation' is unproven.

Somehow the special prosecutor is behaving in a manner that suggests they can take the case to trial and prove Murder in the second degree.

I think she is posturing to appease a political constituency.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: The SPD And The Martins
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
They would have known Trayvon was on the phone that night if the Martins had told them.

His being on the phone 'at the time of the altercation' is unproven.

I think she is posturing to appease a political constituency.

The Martins didn't know until they got the cell phone bill, and the bill shows an incoming call which could have lasted until the start of the struggle, although we don't have exact times for either.

As to politics being behind some of this, we are probably more closely in agreement on that aspect than on others.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
Re: politics and the truth are not separate always
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Just curious - do you expect the victim of every violent crime to perfectly recall every detail, relevant or not.
That attitude could dramatically diminish our prison overpopulation problem.

Maybe a lot of this is inconvenient for those who think GZ acted in self defense; but absent his say-so, what proof is there that the fight STARTED in the manner he describes? 

Wrong. What proof is there that the fight DIDN"T START in the manner he describes
Questions are not evidence.  No evidence no conviction.

Offline Jujube

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
One piece of evidence I found interesting was the portion of the Stress Analysis video where GZ was talking with Singleton and he asked her if she ever had to shoot someone.  She said no.  What he said immediately after that is very telling.  (I don't have a transcript of that or I would post it but it's worth going back and listening to.) 

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
One piece of evidence I found interesting was the portion of the Stress Analysis video where GZ was talking with Singleton and he asked her if she ever had to shoot someone.  She said no.  What he said immediately after that is very telling.  (I don't have a transcript of that or I would post it but it's worth going back and listening to.)

Here you go - the small talk is a little too tiresome for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cEqhj5dBY

Offline Jujube

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
Here you go - the small talk is a little too tiresome for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cEqhj5dBY

Do you know where there is a written transcript? 

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
This is not a thread about public opinion, or media bias, or injuries that GZ may or may not have suffered at the hands of Trayvon Martin, insofar as none of the medical evidence proves how the fight started.  This is a thread about what SPD did and didn't do when the ball was in their court.  Please stay on topic or post elsewhere.

The disparity of injury is evidence of an ambush style attack. It's not really honest to make a claim about the evidence (i.e. "injuries that GZ may or may not have suffered at the hands of Trayvon Martin") and then pretend that it's off-topic. Zimmerman has injuries and Martin does not would be very relevant to the police investigation and trying to find out who was the aggressor.[/quote]

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
Do you know where there is a written transcript?

No Sorry

Site Meter
click
tracking