Author Topic: Witness 14 - Austin McClendon (13 Yr Old)  (Read 11895 times)

Offline Screamin Jay

• Rate Post +0/-0
Witness 14 - Austin McClendon (13 Yr Old)
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Witness #14
Austin McLendon, 13 years old
decides to walk his dog starting from back porch door, 20-25 yards from the shooting
as soon as he got outside he heard screamning
went over toward the spot
observed for about 10 seconds
saw one person lying on the ground in red jacket, He thought because it was wet outside that the person had fallen and broken his leg or something, saw no fighting
dog got off the leash, pulled Austin away from the area to retrieve the dog
after grabbing his dog starts back toward the scene
heard the shot but did not see the shooting
went home and his sister called 911. Austin talked to the 911 operator
---------------------------------
This witness, his older sister, and their mother all talked on TV news interviews. He was very upset by the whole event.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:23:07 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Witness 14 - Austin McClendon (13 Yr Old)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »
Austin was going out when his mother reminded him to walk the dog. The screaming must not have started yet.
One would think Austin saw everything. He was very upset by what he saw. He's been consistant has he not?

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
His mother wasn't home. His house isn't that close to the shooting. See the maps. It's on the other side of the break, south of W#19.  He says he only saw one person on the ground, he didn't see two people.
He said the guy looked hurt. it was before the shot. Until his mother changed his story, he told both police and the media the guy he saw had a red top on.

If he walked north on the path from his house, and didn't see any scuffle or wrestling,  or hear anything, I think it  supports that the movement  went north from the T south to 1221 TTL as  GZ has said, and not south to north as the state wants to interpret its "glancing" witness without contacts or her sister (who saw arms) as saying. 

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
His mother, Chery Brown, claimed,
"He never said he saw someone in a red shirt or someone on top of another person someone is switching his story.  The police came here and asked him leading questions like, 'The first person had a red shirt?' because they wanted him to say, 'Yes, the person had a red shirt.'"

Her claim that Austin only responded to a leading question about the red shirt isn't true, as listening to Serino's interview of McLendon proves. Not only did he say the person on the ground had on a red shirt, he also said the person on the ground was screaming, and stuck by that when Serino offered him that chance to say the screamer might have been someone else.

Too bad his testimony will be tainted by later retractions and modifications. If I were the defense, I'd question Cheryl Brown in detail about her contacts with Crump and his associates prior to her attempts to revise her son's version of events.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »
His mother, Chery Brown, claimed,

That Miami Herald article is one of the worst I've seen about this case, and that's going some.

Ages ago, before there was any discovery, I did a post on Austin and his mother at the blog. It's very dated, but I think it is still a good source on what those two did and did not say, to what media outlets at what times.

Too bad his testimony will be tainted by later retractions and modifications.

What would those be?

If I were the defense, I'd question Cheryl Brown in detail about her contacts with Crump and his associates prior to her attempts to revise her son's version of events.

Do you know that there were such contacts?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
That Miami Herald article is one of the worst I've seen about this case, and that's going some.

Ages ago, before there was any discovery, I did a post on Austin and his mother at the blog. It's very dated, but I think it is still a good source on what those two did and did not say, to what media outlets at what times.

What would those be?

What would those be? That's an odd way of phrasing it. You sound like you don't expect me to have any; yet in your own linked-to comment, you name some: He later said he didn't know who was screaming, though in the original interview he said the person on the ground was screaming. He later said the cries sounded like a child's, but originally said nothing about that. Add to that the later claims, through his mother and through the family's attorney, that he couldn't tell the color the person on the ground was wearing. In your prior comment, you dismiss Cheryl Brown's quoted statement that Austin didn't see that the man wore red, but I'll take the article's exact quote over your incredulity. Furthermore, she and the family attorney said much the same thing (33/284) to O'Steen after the interview with the mother and son.

Do you know that there were such contacts?

Do I know of any? No. Perhaps I should have said, "If I were the defense, I'd question Cheryl Brown in detail about any possible contacts with Crump and his associates prior to her attempts to revise her son's version of events." Do I have evidence of possible contacts? I have circumstantial evidence. Brown took the unusual step for a witness of retaining an attorney. And not just any attorney. The lawyer she chose was Alisia Adamson, who happens to have recently worked with Crump on another case, and who Crump referred to as his "legal mentee." Perhaps it's just a coincidence , but it certainly suggests Crump may have played some part in the choice.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
Add to that the later claims, through his mother and through the family's attorney

Seriously? Since the boy has disappeared from public view, you think he has been sitting on a little throne, directing his mother and her lawyer what to say on his behalf? After you, yourself, presented evidence of her misrepresenting what her son said?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
Seriously? Since the boy has disappeared from public view, you think he has been sitting on a little throne, directing his mother and her lawyer what to say on his behalf? After you, yourself, presented evidence of her misrepresenting what her son said?

I don't recall mentioning a throne, little or big, but when the mother of a juvenile or the attorney for the family speaks for the juvenile, I do give it serious consideration. Before mentioning the clothing color, I pointed out two other areas where Austin has seemed to modify his account of what occurred in a way that makes it less helpful to Zimmerman. So whether or not you find the mother's and attorney's statements significant, I still established a basis for saying, "Too bad his testimony will be tainted by later retractions and modifications."

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:58 AM »
To my previous response, let me add that Cheryl Brown can lie to the press all she wants and not get in trouble. Lying to state investigators in a murder investigation would be a different matter. Likewise, for attorney Adamson. Besides that, Adamson is also an officer of the court.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »
His mother wasn't home. His house isn't that close to the shooting. See the maps. It's on the other side of the break, south of W#19.  He says he only saw one person on the ground, he didn't see two people.
He said the guy looked hurt. it was before the shot. Until his mother changed his story, he told both police and the media the guy he saw had a red top on.

If he walked north on the path from his house, and didn't see any scuffle or wrestling,  or hear anything, I think it  supports that the movement  went north from the T south to 1221 TTL as  GZ has said, and not south to north as the state wants to interpret its "glancing" witness without contacts or her sister (who saw arms) as saying.

If he went north from the back door of his house, he'd have passed right by Zimmerman and Martin.

His back door is almost as close to where the body wound up as the "T" is.

(ordinarily I'd let sleeping posts lie, but I noticed it while perusing the current exchange of a lot more heat than light)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
If he went north from the back door of his house,

Austin always said he went out the front door, and went around to the back after he heard the screaming.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »
Austin always said he went out the front door, and went around to the back after he heard the screaming.

Did he go around back across the northern exterior wall of his house?

Did he ever say in which direction the dog ran off?

I'm still puzzled that the dog found something more interesting than the two guys on the ground.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

His back door is almost as close to where the body wound up as the "T" is.

That is inaccurate. His house is across the way and four houses down.  The "T" is the second house off the T. You can see the difference here and here. His house is 2761.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »
I noticed it while perusing the current exchange of a lot more heat than light

It's an illuminating discussion for me. The prior relationship of Adamson and Crump is interesting information I had not been aware of.

As for it being heated, I would call it 'spirited'.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
He later said he didn't know who was screaming, though in the original interview he said the person on the ground was screaming.

Those exact words apply to W-6. Is his testimony 'tainted'?

If Austin insisted he could be sure the man he saw was the person screaming, it wouldn't be very credible in the light of W-6's recantation. Austin was further away than W-6.

He later said the cries sounded like a child's

He allegedly said that to a journalist. (The actual word was 'kid'.) I don't know of any record of him saying that to an LE investigator.

but originally said nothing about that.

That aspect is a bit worse. He described the person on the ground, who he assumed to be the screamer, as a 'man'. (W-18 also said she saw 'two men' who 'looked like they were wrestling', and 'then I heard the man saying "Help! Help!"' None of the 911 callers said, on their calls, that they heard a juvenile voice.)

Will lay opinions about the age of the person screaming be admissible? Is that a settled issue, or might one side or the other have grounds to contest it?

Voices deepen at puberty, so distinguishing adults from teenagers by voice alone seems problematical to me. I was told I had a pretty deep voice when I was fourteen.

We don't know what Austin will say in court. He might testify that he has never expressed an opinion about the age of the screamer. If all the prosecution has to contest that is a single journalist, I'm not sure the judge/jury will be impressed. The journalist might be impeachable.

In your prior comment, you dismiss Cheryl Brown's quoted statement

I didn't dismiss it. I said it was possible the Miami Herald got the quote wrong. Do you disagree? Do you consider the reporting of the Miami Herald to be divinely inspired scripture?

The reason I made a point of what I assumed to be the human fallibility of the Miami Herald staff, was to give Cheryl Brown the benefit of the doubt. The alleged quote was a direct contradiction of what she said on The Nancy Grace Show on March 29.

The statement attributed to Cheryl Brown was not that Austin once said the garment was red, and later retracted that. It was that he never said the garment was red. You debunked that yourself. I'm puzzled that you're touting it now.

Furthermore, she and the family attorney said much the same thing (33/284) to O'Steen after the interview with the mother and son.

The interview summary doesn't say that anyone denied that Austin ever said the garment was red.

Site Meter
click
tracking