Author Topic: Witness 14 - Austin McClendon (13 Yr Old)  (Read 11892 times)

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Witness 14 - Austin McClendon (13 Yr Old)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
That is inaccurate. His house is across the way and four houses down.  The "T" is the second house off the T. You can see the difference here and here. His house is 2761.

If Zimmerman's truck parked near the west end of the east west sidewalk gets to count as "near" the clubhouse, then my use of the words "almost as close to" makes my statement accurate as well.

Did you actually intend to say "The "X" is the second house off the T."?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
If Zimmerman's truck parked near the west end of the east west sidewalk gets to count as "near" the clubhouse, then my use of the words "almost as close to" makes my statement accurate as well.

Or maybe it was Martin being counted as "near" the clubhouse in

0:55:82 - He's near the clubhouse right now?
0:58:01- Yeah, now he's coming towards me

when Martin was supposedly returning from the T to circle the truck before the "he's running", but somewhere several months ago "near" the clubhouse got defined as near on an inter-galactic scale.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

If he went north from the back door of his house, he'd have passed right by Zimmerman and Martin.

His back door is almost as close to where the body wound up as the "T" is.

Wording for "almost" or "near" is something you like to bring up.  However, considering that AG lives in an entirely different building, the statement you make about "His back door is almost as close to where the body" was is factually inaccurate.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Wording for "almost" or "near" is something you like to bring up.  However, considering that AG lives in an entirely different building, the statement you make about "His back door is almost as close to where the body" was is factually inaccurate.

Turn up your font size, I can't quite hear you.  :)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »
Those exact words apply to W-6. Is his testimony 'tainted'?

"Taint" may have been an imperfect word choice. I intended to make the rather uncontroversial point that McLendon's original statement which strongly supports Zimmerman's version of event was weakened by his later statements. The same probably applies even more to W6, who originally had Zimmerman on his back screaming while being pummeled by Martin.

I believe there's a difference, though. I think W6's changes were only motivated by a desire to be as accurate as possible about what he saw. I think Cheryl Brown wants to make sure her son's testimony helps Zimmerman as little as possible. I don't know if Austin shares that objective, but it does make me view the changes to his testimny in a different light than W6's changes.

For both witnesses, I think their original statements, made while the events were fresh in their minds, were probably more accurate.

Voices deepen at puberty, so distinguishing adults from teenagers by voice alone seems problematical to me. I was told I had a pretty deep voice when I was fourteen.

I looked into that quite a while ago, and as I recall, most males' voice have reached their adult pitch by age 17.

I didn't dismiss it. I said it was possible the Miami Herald got the quote wrong. Do you disagree? Do you consider the reporting of the Miami Herald to be divinely inspired scripture?

The reason I made a point of what I assumed to be the human fallibility of the Miami Herald staff, was to give Cheryl Brown the benefit of the doubt. The alleged quote was a direct contradiction of what she said on The Nancy Grace Show on March 29.

The statement attributed to Cheryl Brown was not that Austin once said the garment was red, and later retracted that. It was that he never said the garment was red. You debunked that yourself. I'm puzzled that you're touting it now.

The interview summary doesn't say that anyone denied that Austin ever said the garment was red.

"Dismiss" was another poor word choice on my part. A more precise word just didn't come to mind at the time. I don't trust articles to get the facts straight -- that article certainly didn't -- but I do assume that they can usually get direct quotes correct. Sometimes they don't, but I think that's a fairly rare exception. In the case of that particular quote, I have almost no doubt Cheryl Brown said it.

One thing to note is that the article where Brown made that statement follows the quotation with, "Brown said she will hire an attorney to demand a copy of the audio statement her son gave to prove he has never wavered, and never claimed to see Zimmerman on the ground."  It must have been made before she retained Adamson. On the Nancy Grace program, she's already represented by Adamson.  So the quotation was made earlier, which may explain the difference. I'll mention in passing the exceptionally odd "representation" of Brown by Adamson, which consisted of lobbying for Zimmerman's arrest.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »
I'll mention in passing the exceptionally odd "representation" of Brown by Adamson, which consisted of lobbying for Zimmerman's arrest.

I don't think that's odd. She was representing her client's interests. Cheryl Brown certainly had an interest, if not in Zimmerman being arrested, then in her family not being blamed if he were not.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
Some basic questions first.  Did Austin mark a map or show in his outdoor video, exactly where he was when he made his observation of somebody on the ground?  In front of which house would his estimate of 20 to 25 yards away make him?  Was he using a flashlight while walking his dog?  Has he been listed as a Category A witness, meaning either the prosecution or defense plans to put him on the stand?

I don't think the prosecution can possibly assert that Zimmerman wasn't down on his back at sometime during the struggle with Martin, so Austin's testimony there does little for the defense.  Also if Witness6 couldn't tell by sight whose mouth was yelling Help! neither could Austin.  I think his main importance is to tell how dark it was in the dog walk.  That and the evidence that Zimmerman's large flashlight wasn't operational establish that Zimmerman wasn't in the dog walk before the fight.  It will be a big win for the defense if they can convincingly show that Zimmerman restricted himself to the cut through and perhaps a little time on RVC after leaving his car and before meeting up with Martin.  If you ask me the irrelevant question of do I think if his large flashlight had been working, Zimmerman would have gone into the cut through, my answer is a definite yes.   :D

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
If you ask me the irrelevant question of do I think if his large flashlight had been working, Zimmerman would have gone into the cut through, my answer is a definite yes.   :D
Change that into the dog walk.  Sorry.  :-[

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Austin's testimony there does little for the defense.  Also if Witness6 couldn't tell by sight whose mouth was yelling Help! neither could Austin. 

I do agree that Austin probably isn't going to be a good witness for anyone, but Austin say he saw a man on the ground and heard a man screaming.  I don't know if he was close enough to determine that the person on the ground was a man, but I imagine he could hear the voice well enough to tell whether he thought it a child screaming as other witnesses (and one unbelievable voice "expert") have claimed.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 09:35:31 PM »

Unitron, stop dancing. You said, "His back door is almost as close to where the body wound up as the "T" is." You said nothing about where Zimmerman's truck was.  Nor is it relevant to your comment. Your statement was factually inaccurate.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Unitron, stop dancing. You said, "His back door is almost as close to where the body wound up as the "T" is." You said nothing about where Zimmerman's truck was.  Nor is it relevant to your comment. Your statement was factually inaccurate.

Several months ago there was a conversation around here about how near is near.

I was thinking, or remembering, or mis-remembering, it had to do with where Zimmerman was parked,.

However, as you can see from the post that follows that one, on further reflection, I though it might have had to do with Martin being somehow simultaneously "near" the clubhouse and "near" the "T".

At the time of that conversation I though that others, attempting, it seemed, to give Zimmerman every possible benefit of the doubt in considering whether the call that Sunday night matched up with his later accounts, allowed for a definition of near which was so broad in that context (most of the width of the neighhborhood), that I felt it rendered the word meaningless.

So if others were going to get to claim broad definitions for words related to linear measures, I decided I was equally entitled, or at least not entirely unjustified in a little touch of snark on the subject.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
Did Austin mark a map or show in his outdoor video, exactly where he was when he made his observation of somebody on the ground? 

Here.

Austin did not mark this map. It is based on where he is standing in the video.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
So Austin's estimate on the video of being 20 to 25 yards from the fight seems to be correct?  The fact that he couldn't see one of the participants makes it pretty clear that Zimmerman couldn't see very far into the dog part from the T.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
According to the map, Austin's red dot is about 25 yards from the 'T', where the fight presumably began and maybe 10 yards or so from where TM's body ended up.  If he was within 10 yards of GZ, I am not sure how he would not have seen a second individual.  I'm guessing he was a little further away.  Did he indicate in that video where he saw the man in red lying on the ground calling for help?

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/17/trayvon-martin-killing-yo_n_1355795.html

Austin at the spot where he stood when he witnessed the scuffle

Site Meter
click
tracking