Author Topic: Who is screaming on the 911 call?  (Read 39263 times)

Offline Mary2012

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Who is screaming on the 911 call?
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
No I am referring to the screaming just before the gun shot. Since I used free software, you can download it and verify it yourself. I'm personally suspicious of people who say 'trust me' based on their credentials, but who don't provide any way to verify their credentials.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

http://184.172.211.159/~gzdocs/documents/zimmerman_bond_hearing_exhibits/wintess_11/witness_11-911/911_wit_11_spd_226.wav

The scream I'm referring to is at about 34 seconds.

Thanks JUpchurch -- yes, I think I'll give this a try later on when I get a free block of time.  Thanks for the links and your input.

Offline Mary2012

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
It is the original. I'm not sure what exactly this person is pointing out but what I hear (and see) is:

The dispatcher ("You don't know [unintelligible]")
Interference (electronic)
A beep (this beep is electronic)

I'm not hearing a scream after the shot.

(Note: By "see" I mean in the spectrograph. When you do audio analysis a lot of it is visual - looking at various things. For example, the beep mentioned above, I'm 100% certain it's electronic because the signature in the spectrograph indicates as much. How can I be certain? Well, I'll give a couple reasons but there are many more: 1) lack of entropy, everything in nature [to include noises made by human bodies] is affected by entropy, 2) The frequency of the noise isn't variable, it does not change at all throughout the whole duration.)

I understand what you're saying re "see" despite not knowing anything about audio analysis.  It would make sense to put something like this to that type of a test.   I've listened to it over and over and over again and whereas I'm not hearing a "beep" yet, I can hear how it might not be a scream.  Thanks for your description and links; I'll have to check them out.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Common sense tells me that the loser of an altercation/scuffle/fight would be calling for help.  After the gunshot, there is no reason to yell anymore.

That said, I don't know who is yelling for help.  All I know is that is not the voice of a young boy.  It could be either of them. 

It is still one of the saddest things I have ever listened to...

Has anyone crossed check the 911 tapes from Johns call? It may be a way to 'filter out' noise local to one phone.

Offline Mary2012

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
I don't hear any 'scream' after the shot, but I'm not working off a great audio set up at the moment.

Screaming after the shot would make George's claim more credible to me, since it would show he was still fearful (he says he didn't know that his shot had hit Martin at first) - since Martin can't be screaming if he apparently only said 'you got me' or something.

Thanks for letting me know you don't hear a scream.

Re it making GZs claim more credible:  I understand what you're saying but if so, I think he would've been certain to mention it.  From what we can tell, he hasn't mentioned it at all, only the "You got me", etc., lines and his not knowing he'd shot TM, etc., as his (GZs) account of what happened. 

One might also be able to view it from the TM side, i.e., it could also be (just assuming it is a scream; I would guess at this point it isn't but just assuming it is), a last ditch effort of someone who has just been shot, trying to get out one more scream for help and not being able to do so, type of thing. 

No matter what, whether the sound turns out to be human/ non-human, it just seems given it's proximity to the actual shot, that someone would've looked into what exactly was the source of that sound.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
I don't hear any 'scream' after the shot, but I'm not working off a great audio set up at the moment.

Screaming after the shot would make George's claim more credible to me, since it would show he was still fearful (he says he didn't know that his shot had hit Martin at first) - since Martin can't be screaming if he apparently only said 'you got me' or something.

Why would GZ still scream if Martin was off him?

Have you ever had a firearm discharge in your face, let alone at night, let alone after you've been pummeled and are a little woozy?

It's a little disconcerting even if you're used to it, and GZ wasn't.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
Because he's been screaming for help, and still needs to scream for help? He doesn't think his shot hit Martin yet so Martin could go after him and/or the gun at any moment, right?
Huh? Of course GZ was used to hearing a firearm discharge; he'd been to the Gander Mountain shooting range many times with Osterman.

I've seen stories that say he'd been, I don't know about many, and I can tell you flatly--as an shooter ranked from Expert to High Master in several different shooting games by the NRA and USA Shooting, it takes a lot more than just going to a range a handful of times.
Add in the life or death stress of the event AND the darkness (big flash--blinding), and you've got a disoriented person. Not to mention being beaten previous.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
I've seen stories that say he'd been, I don't know about many, and I can tell you flatly--as an shooter ranked from Expert to High Master in several different shooting games by the NRA and USA Shooting, it takes a lot more than just going to a range a handful of times.
Add in the life or death stress of the event AND the darkness (big flash--blinding), and you've got a disoriented person. Not to mention being beaten previous.

No hearing protection.  That makes quite a difference.

I bet if Zimmerman had kept screaming after the shot, it'd be claimed as evidence that he'd committed murder.  There isn't a single one of these "micro arguments" that Zimmerman can win against a person who finds him guilty.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
If you take the time to actually study Zimmerman's statements, he pretty cleary articulates the after the he was shot, Martin sat up and his attack ended. No longer being assaulted might be a reason to no longer screaming for help, right?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
It is the original. I'm not sure what exactly this person is pointing out but what I hear (and see) is:

The dispatcher ("You don't know [unintelligible]")
Interference (electronic)
A beep (this beep is electronic)

I'm not hearing a scream after the shot.

(Note: By "see" I mean in the spectrograph. When you do audio analysis a lot of it is visual - looking at various things. For example, the beep mentioned above, I'm 100% certain it's electronic because the signature in the spectrograph indicates as much. How can I be certain? Well, I'll give a couple reasons but there are many more: 1) lack of entropy, everything in nature [to include noises made by human bodies] is affected by entropy, 2) The frequency of the noise isn't variable, it does not change at all throughout the whole duration.)

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say with the entropy reference.

Are you saying the "beep" has a single fixed frequency and an attack and decay signature different from the other sounds on the recording?  Rise time and fall time more nearly instantaneous?

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 07:26:27 PM »
If you take the time to actually study Zimmerman's statements, he pretty cleary articulates the after the he was shot, Martin sat up and his attack ended. No longer being assaulted might be a reason to no longer screaming for help, right?
How long do you think it would take for this to occur and for it to register with GZ? If George was truly afraid for his life, you really think George would stop screaming instantaneously with the gunshot and not yell even once for help afterwards?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
How long do you think it would take for this to occur and for it to register with GZ? If George was truly afraid for his life, you really think George would stop screaming instantaneously with the gunshot and not yell even once for help afterwards?

Everybody reacts differently.  If I'm taking a beating, and more or less panicked, I stop screaming the instant the attacker gets off me.  And if I've got a massive force advantage (gun in the hand) I'm past the point of screaming for help and at the point of acting, watching, and self-help.  I don't need help anymore - it's too late for that.  Once the fear of death passes, the calculus changes again.  I think all that "adjustment" can happen in realtime - seconds, if not fractions of a second.

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Everybody reacts differently.  If I'm taking a beating, and more or less panicked, I stop screaming the instant the attacker gets off me.  And if I've got a massive force advantage (gun in the hand) I'm past the point of screaming for help and at the point of acting, watching, and self-help.  I don't need help anymore - it's too late for that.  Once the fear of death passes, the calculus changes again.  I think all that "adjustment" can happen in realtime - seconds, if not fractions of a second.
And I call baloney - after being told how George would be addled and woozy from being punched and all, yet George's mind was so finely calibrated that he knew in a fraction of a second that he was no longer in danger of death? Even tho he states that he didn't know initially that his shot hit Martin?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
And I call baloney - after being told how George would be addled and woozy from being punched and all, yet George's mind was so finely calibrated that he knew in a fraction of a second that he was no longer in danger of death? Even tho he states that he didn't know initially that his shot hit Martin?

In other words--there's nothing at all that can happen, be said or be shown to you--save surveillance video from the Snoopy blimp or a passing UFO--that will convince you, you're either a hard core GZ is guilty guy or you just plain like to argue.

The latter is probably preferable to the former.  :o

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »

You can call whatever you want.  I'm telling you how I think I would react, and I've been in fights where I was on the losing end (sucker punched, similar to Zimmerman's experience).  Martin stopped his attack.  No more hands going for nose or mouth.  He's withdrawing.  The situation is changing, in a pretty radical way.  Danger over?  Maybe, maybe not - Zimmerman says he sat on Martin and aimed to restrain his hands (there's dispute about what he did, except I think there is no dispute that he didn't shoot Martin again), and asked the first person on the scene to help.  But his sense of impending risk of death has passed.

Ever been in a near car wreck?  Any doubt in your mind when the danger had passed?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

Gee I thought each scream was followed by a pause. Is that so hard? Anyway once George has the gun the dynamic changes. there a chance that he might live. I personally would concentrate on firing the gun.

After the shot Zimmerman obviously knew ( Martin reared up) that the fight was now different. Otherwise he would have pulled the trigger until he was sure.

Site Meter
click
tracking