Author Topic: Previous NEN Calls  (Read 9726 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Previous NEN Calls
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
Call 1
Zimmerman reports a suspicious person that fits the description from a break-in. Zimmerman does not want to give address to his house but gives the 1111 RVC address. Zimmerman describes the ethnicity when prompted.

Call 2
Two youths match description from break in. Will meet at back gate to let officer in. States the youths usually run to adjacent neighborhood.

Call 3
Calls to report open garage door. Gives RVC address.

Call 4
2 suspicious persons loitering at gate. Gives ethnicity when prompted. Uses 1111 RVC address.

Call 5
Reports kids playing in street and running in traffic. Concerned for their safety and that of drivers. Uses RVC address. Gives ethnicity when prompted. "all ages, all races."

Call 6
Report suspicious person walking around in bomber hat and pajama bottoms on trash day. Person is walking up to houses and back to sidewalk.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Previous NEN Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread, I hope.  I find the following contrasts with the NEN call in the Martin case.

1. No strong emotional reaction to the suspects.  He doesn't use profanity or any characterization besides suspicious - no f*****g p**ks or a**h**s.  Is he on his good behavior just because the dispatcher in the previous calls is a female?

2. No attempt to describe where he currently is so the cops will meet him at that spot.  Seems to think 1111 Retreat View Circle is enough of an address for the cops to look for suspects in the area.  In the first call, which seems similar to the situation in the Martin case as the suspect was seen going between the buildings towards the back entrance but he doesn't try to arrange meeting the cops.  In the second the suspects are at the back gate and he tells the cops he will let them in there but he thinks the suspects might hop over to Calabria Cove, the next development over.  Why didn't he do the same with Martin?

3. Quite cautious about getting close to the suspects.  Didn't want to attract attention by getting the license number of their white Chevy Impala in 4; didn't want to approach the guy hanging around Taafe's house in 6.  With Martin, the suspect actually approached his car and looked at him, tugging his waistband, so you would think he would be even more cautious.  But he was uncharacteristically reckless on 2/26/12

4. Except for the two inconsequential calls 3 and 5, the approximate timings were between 1:42 and 2:07 minutes, must less time than with the call with Nofke.  He was strictly business and had no problem saying exactly what he wanted the cops to do in the previous calls.

Remember, no speculation about his meds to explain the difference.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:33:25 PM by RickyJim »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:10 PM »
Here are the transcripts of his prior non-emergency calls. I'm not sure where I got them, but they have been on my computer since  Sept. 5, 2012.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
I notice that the transcriber heard building instead of "Bentley" in the directions George gave to get to Taffe's place.
If you have an officer available, I’d probably have him stop on
Rinehart—across the street from Walter Reed’s building; and, go around the back.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
I notice that the transcriber heard building instead of "Bentley" in the directions George gave to get to Taffe's place.

I listened again, and I disagree. It's 'Bentley', quite clear, no doubt about it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
It just hit me that the school on the other side of Oregon Ave. is 'Bentley Elementary'. Could Zimmerman have meant the school? That would mean he confused Oregon Ave. with Rinehart Rd. He meant for the officers to park in front of RATL, west of the gate on Oregon Ave., and 'go around the back'.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Is the full name of the school "Walter Reed Bentley"?  That might explain part of it.  I thought the cops were able to drive into RATL without having somebody buzz them in so I still don't see the point. 

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
Is the full name of the school "Walter Reed Bentley"?  That might explain part of it.

Googling the name brings up various individuals.

The school has a website. No sign there of any longer name, or explanation for the name 'Bentley'.

There's a phone number, if you want to call, and hope you can reach someone who knows the answer.

Zimmerman could have been wrong about the name. These are Zimmerman directions.

I thought the cops were able to drive into RATL without having somebody buzz them in so I still don't see the point.

I don't think there would be a point to going through the gate. Even coming from the east, it's an unnecessary dog-leg. From the west it would be doubling back.

Zimmerman might have thought the suspect was less likely to see the police car or realize it was coming for him if it stayed on Oregon Ave.

He may also have thought they would have a better chance of intercepting the suspect if he tried to leave the neighborhood.

Frank Taaffe discussed the incident, and the later arrest of the suspect, in a video interview. He named the person, and said he lived in the complex. He said the person is 19, but it's not clear if he meant at the time of his arrest or the time of the interview.

I also don't know when was done either. It was posted on YouTube last December.

Offline AghastInFL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
It just hit me that the school on the other side of Oregon Ave. is 'Bentley Elementary'. Could Zimmerman have meant the school? That would mean he confused Oregon Ave. with Rinehart Rd. He meant for the officers to park in front of RATL, west of the gate on Oregon Ave., and 'go around the back'.
smh, talk about missing the obvious... I drove all around that school and never once noticed the name.
Police do actually park on Lowe Ave near the entrance to Derby Park, either observing traffic or students after class, it is common to see a squad car there.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Frank Taaffe discussed the incident, and the later arrest of the suspect, in a video interview. He named the person, and said he lived in the complex. He said the person is 19, but it's not clear if he meant at the time of his arrest or the time of the interview.

I also don't know when was done either. It was posted on YouTube last December.
That video, starting at about 10:55, is one of the several places that tries to guess where Zimmerman was at various times after exiting his vehicle.  After 15 seconds, when the dispatcher's immortal words, "We don't need you to do that" were uttered, he was just a few feet from TTL and still a ways to go before getting level with the front of the Witness11 house.  Dave reaches the T at 36 seconds, which corresponds to  the time the dispatcher was asking Zimmerman if he wanted to meet with an officer when they arrived on the scene.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
I looked at the school on Google Earth. The complex looks big for an elementary school.

The main entrance to the school's parking lot is directly across from the main entrance to RATL. I looked at the sign on Street View.

There is some lettering if front of 'Bentley', but I couldn't make it out, even after copying into an image editor and blowing it up. It doesn't look long enough to be 'Walter Reed'. It seems like a single word/name. Maybe just 'Walter', although the overall shape doesn't particularly suggest that to me.

I would have thought that Zimmerman would want to give the police the same name as on the sign, if he could remember it.

There is  secondary entrance for the school, directly across Oregon Ave. from the 15X0 building of RATL. No sign there.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
The name on the school on the picture here is "Altermese Bentley Elementary School".  I guess Altermese is Mr or Ms Bentley's first name.  It is not a word in English or Spanish AFAIK.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
I guessed correctly about Ms Bentley.  Here is her obituary.  And I listened again to the end of Zimmerman's call.  He did say "Altermese Bentley", not Walter Reed's Bentley.  MYSTERY SOLVED!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:12:13 PM by RickyJim »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
smh, talk about missing the obvious... I drove all around that school and never once noticed the name.
Police do actually park on Lowe Ave near the entrance to Derby Park, either observing traffic or students after class, it is common to see a squad car there.
AIF, on the next trip can you get a shot of just where the police would park to be across the street from the back of Taafe's house?  TIA.  I still don't understand how they would know where the back of Taafe's house was.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
He did say "Altermese Bentley", not Walter Reed's Bentley.  MYSTERY SOLVED!   ;D

Good work!  ;D

I still don't understand how they would know where the back of Taafe's house was.

I would guess because he thought he had given them the correct address.

Site Meter
click
tracking