Author Topic: Is O'Mara Good  (Read 8953 times)

Offline pyrrho

• Rate Post +0/-0
Is O'Mara Good
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
Though I think it quite likely GZ is guilty of M2, I had to agree a bit ago that O'Mara seemed to be a little weak in the rhetorical advocacy, basically going with the lies as such... but then that drew Lester into anger, and gave O'Mara a ground to move for him to take for himself off the case.  I think this is just to put something over Lester and more importantly, O'Mara has done the "set up ground for an appeal" part of high powered legal defense.  So I think I'm back to realizing O'Mara knows more what he's doing that I.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm curious... at the conservativetreehouse they think he's either incompetant, in a conspiracy against GZ, or both.

Offline vegas

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Is O'Mara Good
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
I like Mr. O'Mara calm demeanor. He seems capable to me. What does Jeralyn think?

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I like Mr. O'Mara calm demeanor. He seems capable to me. What does Jeralyn think?

I don't know him personally.  I've been critical of a few strategic decisions, but then again, I'm not privy to all the facts he is. I certainly don't think he's incompetent or unethical or looking out for anyone other than his client.  I think he's capable, beyond that I can't say.  I guess I'm reserving judgment

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
He will be a lot better if he can ditch his client?  Since he signed on Pro Bono, can he, in effect, fire his client.  I think it is readily apparent that GZ is making a mockery of his years of practice and reputation.

Just IMO. 

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if the question isn't will he still be Zimmerman's lawyer by the time this finally goes to trial?

Offline RedSledgehammer

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
I'd honestly like to know what Jerelyn thinks of O'Mara allowing Zimmerman to speak with Sean Hannity on national TV. Is this ever a good idea? I mean if there is one minor inconsistency in Zimmerman's interview, the prosecution can blow it up and make him sound like a liar.

I'm skeptical of O'Mara's ability to handle this case. However, Don West seems to admire him and West has handled a high-profile murder case before. So we shall see. If O'Mara fails to get Zimmerman immunity at SYG, I'd be looking for a new lawyer.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »
George is a nightmare client. He's hard to control.

So what's the evidence of Zimmerman acting against O'Mara's wishes? The new narrative will require evidence. We're watching this time.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
So what's the evidence of Zimmerman acting against O'Mara's wishes? The new narrative will require evidence. We're watching this time.
I agree, please see my comments ( in the context of of the other  thread)

http://forums.talkleft.com/index.php/topic,2085.msg97907.html#msg97907
Is it possible  that the defense may now believe that the biggest obstacle to Zimmerman's release via a SYG hearing is not legal?
They may believe that a Judge may harbor ( extra legal - but understandable)  reservations based on fears of civil unrest ( Ala Rodney King) subsequent to that ruling.

If so correcting public perceptions may be their first priority.

Offline txantimedia

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
The client is in control, not the lawyer.  If the lawyer advises the client not to do something and the client does it anyway, the lawyer can't do a thing about it, except refuse to represent the client any more.

Offline vegas

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
The client is in control, not the lawyer.  If the lawyer advises the client not to do something and the client does it anyway, the lawyer can't do a thing about it, except refuse to represent the client any more.
And it is George's life.

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »
If I were O'Mara I'd drop him as a client. Giving a public interview while a case is still pending is about the worst thing you can do. Note that O'Mara stopped some of the questions when it related to the pending perjury charge against George's wife. You now why that is? Because giving public statements on a pending criminal case is a really really bad idea.

By repeating his statement so publicly some months after the shooting, George has essentially forfeited the right to claim 'faulty memory' or 'mis-remembering' when confronted at trial with contradictions. If the initial interviews etc. after the shooting were his only statements, he could possibly claim 'emotional stress from the incident' or some other hogwash, but when he repeats his statements several months later, that's his story - what State is going to point out that George is saying, he was in perfectly fine shape after the shooting to remember various details, such as realizing his jacket and shirt had come up when he wriggled to expose his firearm. Or that he felt Martins' hand leave his mouth and move down the side of his shirt.

Even (or...especially) if he's as innocent as the new fallen snow, giving a public interview is a bad, bad idea even if you come across as the next Dalai Lama - you're not trying to convince Joe Blow Public you're a great guy, you're trying to get six people in the jury box to believe you.

And in George's case I think he came across pretty poorly.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
If I were O'Mara I'd drop him as a client.

Once again, where is the evidence that Zimmerman is acting against O'Mara's wishes? Clearly MOM has a media strategy. He's launched a webite, invited media requests, and appears at least once a week to comment on this case. 

You assume it is one thing to set up your attack against Zimmerman. Where's the evidence?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »
Once again, where is the evidence that Zimmerman is acting against O'Mara's wishes? Clearly MOM has a media strategy. He's launched a webite, invited media requests, and appears at least once a week to comment on this case. 

You assume it is one thing to set up your attack against Zimmerman. Where's the evidence?

The attack seems to be reflexive.
 Quite a few of us now seem to agree that  the case is almost a slam dunk legally for a SYG dismissal. However a judge ( being human) may balk at triggering a Rodney King type outburst. If O'Mara shares that opinion (  he would have better insight as to the mindset of the courthouse ) then a controlled go public strategy might reverse many common misconceptions orchestrated by the Martin family/team.
It seems well advised.

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »

I'm not saying he's necessarily acting against O'Mara's wishes.

I'd be shocked if O'Mara advised George to do that interview. There's a reason it's not done.

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
Does George listen to O'Mara?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »

Barbara Walters revealed on Thursday that she had rejected demands made by Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman in exchange for an interview.

The New York Post reported on Thursday that Walters had traveled down to Florida with the intention of interviewing Zimmerman, but walked away after he requested that ABC get him a hotel room for a month.

Walters was not competing for the first interview with Zimmerman, as he had already granted that privilege to Fox News' Sean Hannity. Hannity's interview aired on Wednesday night.

Walters confirmed much of the Post's story on Thursday's "View." She explained that Zimmerman's lawyer, whom she referred to as "effective," confirmed Tuesday night that Zimmerman would do an interview. Walters said that Zimmerman was going to tape an interview with Hannity before sitting down with her. Walters said Hannity "had been very supportive to [Zimmerman] in the past and George Zimmerman told me that he was very grateful, and I appreciated his loyalty to Hannity."

Walters agreed that her interview would tape and air after Zimmerman sat down with Hannity. She said that she had then flown down to Florida for the interview.

When Walters and her team arrived in Florida, she said that Zimmerman came in dressed in a t-shirt, rather than a suit. "That should have been my first clue," she said.

According to Walters, Zimmerman said that the plans had changed, and he was refusing to do the interview unless ABC granted him one request. Walters refused to confirm that he had requested a month-long stay in a hotel. "It was a condition that, being a member of ABC News, I was unable to grant," she said.

Walters described Zimmerman as "desperate for money" and "very worried about his family." She also said he was "polite, soft-spoken, stubborn." She said that his lawyers "wanted him to do the interview."

The drama took a bizarre twist when Walters announced that Zimmerman wanted to call into the show to speak to Walters. "He wouldn't do the interview, but now he has something to say," she said, later adding, "This has been an interesting day, to say the least."

She then pointedly refused to put him on air. "Mr. Zimmerman, if you could not do the interview yesterday, I donít think we should do a quick one today," she said. "In the future if you feel differently, we will consider it.Ē

Though she did not acknowledge that there had been any monetary request made of the network, Walters has asserted in the past that ABC News does not pay for interviews.

In July 2011, ABC News chief Ben Sherwood announced that the network would stop licensing photos, since questions about payment would inevitably follow after ABC News nabbed a major interview.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

Trayvon Martin Photos

Site Meter
click
tracking