Author Topic: Sean Hannity Nabs First Interview With George Zimmerman, Airing Tonight  (Read 23055 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
On Wednesday night, Sean Hannity is devoting the entire hour of his show to his interview with George Zimmerman.

Wow. I'm surprised Zimmerman would give an interview. Is it a good idea even with his lawyer there? I hope someone records this.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/sean-hannity-nabs-first-interview-with-george-zimmerman-airing-tonight/

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
The transcript is here. My post on it is here.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Zimmerman on Hannity - Part I, Part II, Part III

It's clear to me that O'Mara feels confident in Zimmerman's version of events that night and that the interview was not coached or rehearsed regarding the content of Zimmerman's narrative.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
I loved it. It was the first time that the public got to hear GZ's version of events and not just the biased MSM edits and sound bites. I don't know enough about the law to say if it will be good or bad for SYG or trial, but I think it certainly made a significant impact in public opinion. And I get the feeling that GZ was desperate to get his version out there. Might do him some good emotionally and settle him down a bit so he'll listen to MOM more.

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Pfft. Nothing here that we haven't seen/heard already. I don't know why you think 'this is the first time we've heard GZ's version', because it really really isn't; GZ's version(s) have all been widely reported and discussed. This was a complete non-story in terms of 'could affect the trial'. He mostly stuck to his story, which you'd expect - he'd have to really be on the short bus to go off the rail in a rehearsed, pre-recorded interview with a friendly interviewer. One or two minor things seemed odd (see below) but nothing really that relevant to the trial.

HANNITY: -- trying to maybe get into the mind-set, because we also have learned that Trayvon was speaking with his girlfriend supposedly at the time -- that maybe he was afraid of you, didn't know who you were?
ZIMMERMAN: No.
HANNITY: You don't think -- why do you think that he was running then?
ZIMMERMAN: Maybe I said running, but he was more --
HANNITY: You said he's running.
ZIMMERMAN: Yes. He was like skipping, going away quickly. But he wasn't running out of fear.
HANNITY: You could tell the difference?
ZIMMERMAN: He wasn't running.
HANNITY: So he wasn't actually running?
ZIMMERMAN: No, sir.
So now Martin isn't *running*, he's 'moving away quickly'. Maybe even skipping? That makes no sense - as if George could tell from his car why Martin was 'moving away quickly' - I can only surmise that they're trying to pooh-pooh away the idea of 'Martin running away because he was scared of the stalker guy in the truck'.

HANNITY: How long was it, George, after that, that you saw Trayvon again? Because you said you stopped, that you did not continue pursuing him. When did you next see Trayvon Martin?
ZIMMERMAN: Less than 30 seconds.
George is going to have to just admit at some point that he just royally sucks at estimate the passage of time. There's at least a two-minute gap between the end of his NEN call and the approx. start of the confrontation. He has still yet to explain what he was doing for those two minutes; I'm sure the State will ask him at some point.

ZIMMERMAN: I felt him take -- he had -- after he couldn't hit my head on the concrete anymore, he started to try to suffocate me. And I continued to take -- push his hands off of my mouth and my nose, particularly because it was excruciating having a broken nose and him putting his weight on it.
And that's the point in time when he started telling me to shut up, shut up, shut up.
So, 'Martin couldn't hit his head on the concrete anymore'. Interesting. Because the main thing he said he was worried about was the head slamming thing. That's not an issue now. Yeah, Martins' hands are on his face, but George's hands and arms are free. Doesn't sound all that life-threatening to me.

For me, the biggest thing was: George 'doesn't regret anything he did that night', because everything is 'God's will'.

That's astounding. Suppose that had been me. Even if I had really, actually, truly felt that I absolutely had to shoot to save my life, how the hell could I not regret following him in my car? How could I not regret getting out of my car? How could I not regret the myriad of judgement calls I made, the whole chain of events that I participated in that resulted in me shooting an unarmed kid?

Trayvon Martin was not some thug hell-bent on raping and pillaging the neighborhood. He was a 17yr old kid trying to get home. Un-armed. To not at least regret not doing something differently that would have resulted in both guys just ending up at home safe and sound....I mean, I just don't get it.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Pfft. Nothing here that we haven't seen/heard already. I don't know why you think 'this is the first time we've heard GZ's version', because it really really isn't; GZ's version(s) have all been widely reported and discussed. This was a complete non-story in terms of 'could affect the trial'. He mostly stuck to his story, which you'd expect - he'd have to really be on the short bus to go off the rail in a rehearsed, pre-recorded interview with a friendly interviewer. One or two minor things seemed odd (see below) but nothing really that relevant to the trial.

So now Martin isn't *running*, he's 'moving away quickly'. Maybe even skipping? That makes no sense - as if George could tell from his car why Martin was 'moving away quickly' - I can only surmise that they're trying to pooh-pooh away the idea of 'Martin running away because he was scared of the stalker guy in the truck'.
George is going to have to just admit at some point that he just royally sucks at estimate the passage of time. There's at least a two-minute gap between the end of his NEN call and the approx. start of the confrontation. He has still yet to explain what he was doing for those two minutes; I'm sure the State will ask him at some point.
 So, 'Martin couldn't hit his head on the concrete anymore'. Interesting. Because the main thing he said he was worried about was the head slamming thing. That's not an issue now. Yeah, Martins' hands are on his face, but George's hands and arms are free. Doesn't sound all that life-threatening to me.

For me, the biggest thing was: George 'doesn't regret anything he did that night', because everything is 'God's will'.

That's astounding. Suppose that had been me. Even if I had really, actually, truly felt that I absolutely had to shoot to save my life, how the hell could I not regret following him in my car? How could I not regret getting out of my car? How could I not regret the myriad of judgement calls I made, the whole chain of events that I participated in that resulted in me shooting an unarmed kid?

Trayvon Martin was not some thug hell-bent on raping and pillaging the neighborhood. He was a 17yr old kid trying to get home. Un-armed. To not at least regret not doing something differently that would have resulted in both guys just ending up at home safe and sound....I mean, I just don't get it.

Fortunately for George, it's not about whether YOU think it was life-threatening (or even injury threatening), it's about whether HE thought it was, and he clearly did.

Also--you have no evidence for anything you said in your last paragraph. None. There is plenty out there about Trayvon if you bother to look, and once O'Mara starts his case it will be crammed down your throat (and I think you already know most of it and just don't care).

He also talked of the pain Trayvon's parents must feel, how he can't imagine it etc. He said he prays for them daily, and as our hostess has said, religion seems to be a very important part of his life (I don't remember her exact quote, was in her post on the subject on TL). At what point is him being sorry, praying for them etc going to be enough for you?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Data Point
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
I've just begun watching the interview, and I haven't read the comment thread.

In his first two sentences, Zimmerman contradicted himself. He said he hadn't 'really' had time to reflect, then that in jail he had 'a lot of time, to think and reflect.'

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Interview in Reverse
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
I just got to the point when Zimmerman said he hadn't heard of SYG before the shooting.

I feel this is the reverse of what an interview should theoretically be. It feels like O'Mara and Zimmerman fed Hannity their talking points, and he is asking questions intended to elicit them.

So far I disagree with Cylinder. This feels very scripted and rehearsed to me.

(When I said I haven't read the thread, I meant I haven't read past the comment with the interview linked.)

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Saying Trayvon's death was all part of God's plan is a really disgusting thing to say after telling his parents 'you're sorry'. Clearly you're not, if you think this was all God's doing.

If you believe in God, and you believe everything that happens is part of God's plan, how can you say that this wasn't?

Had he done his whole religious thing (which according to Jeralyn he did all through the jail calls, I didn't listen to all of them) and then said the whole even wasn't part of God's plan--you'd be all over him for being a hypocrite and a liar and being false to his religious beliefs and so on.

And since you brought it up--Sybrina Fulton has also said it was part of God's plan, that God called Trayvon home (or words to that effect, I don't have the actual quote near at hand).

So here's something to think about: if both sides are just religious people, and both sides believe God has a plan and we're just participating in it, why can't you just leave that part of it alone?

Sybrina thinks God was involved; George thinks God was involved.

Offline Kyreth

• Rate Post +0/-0
Some people believe that anything that happens, good or bad, is all part of God's plan.  It's no different IMO than Sybrina saying "But now I know that God has called Trayvon. He was chosen." "God is in control."

Why should Sybrina be allowed to believe that everything happens for God's purpose, but George not be allowed to?

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Some people believe that anything that happens, good or bad, is all part of God's plan.  It's no different IMO than Sybrina saying "But now I know that God has called Trayvon. He was chosen." "God is in control."

Why should Sybrina be allowed to believe that everything happens for God's purpose, but George not be allowed to?
You can't see a difference between a grieving parent trying to make sense and find solace when faced with the sudden loss of their son, vs it being said by the person that shot their son?

Seriously?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
You can't see a difference between a grieving parent trying to make sense and find solace when faced with the sudden loss of their son, vs it being said by the person that shot their son?

Seriously?

Yep you described two different things - most of us would agree that they are different. Counting is a good skill to have.

I would also bet that few find it responsive to the question

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0

Seriously?

So only the Martins can take comfort in God? Wow. I wonder what Jesus would say to you.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0

Seriously?

Personally? I have no idea. I don't believe in "God", so don't believe in God's plan. But there are a lot of people all over the world, Christian and non Christian alike who believe wholeheartedly in it, and I don't really feel it's my place to mock, ridicule or call them disgusting.

Simply put: you not liking it doesn't make it "disgusting". It may make it disgusting to you--and you can and should say that, but for you to pretend you speak for the entire world--is kind of ...ermm...disgusting.

I wonder though. As a grieving parent I think I might blame the situation, GZ, my child...if I did bring God into it I think it would be more of a blame than anything. But I don't know.

I don't share their beliefs and I haven't lost a child. I can't say. Nor can you, I'm betting.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Then it was God's plan to have him arrested,  put in Jail, lie on his bond application, put in jail again, and be awaiting trial on Second Degree Murder charges.
We'll have to wait for what God has to say about the verdict.

From the sound of it, GZ would agree pretty much totally with you, yes. He might not appreciate the mocking tone, then again, he seems kind of like a dial tone, so maybe he wouldn't even notice.

Ponder: A person who believes everything that happens is part of God's plan for their lives doesn't need what happens here to tell them anything. In other words--GZ could be found guilty, sent to jail for  25-life, and still believe God had a plan for him. He'd probably wind up starting or strongly participating in a prison ministry or something.

He might not be happy about it, and he'd never believe he did anything wrong. It's got nothing to do with it.

Site Meter
click
tracking