Author Topic: Sean Hannity Nabs First Interview With George Zimmerman, Airing Tonight  (Read 21699 times)

Offline dragon ash

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
"Running" can mean to flee, retreat, or escape. "Skipping" can also mean to leave hurriedly or secretly ("The defendant skipped bail."), so it isn't even completely clear whether Zimmerman was describing Martin's gait, or was trying to find a synonym  for "running" in the sense of fleeing.
You're seriously going to claim that in his Hannity interview, George was using the word 'skipping' to mean 'skipped as another word for 'escape'?

And even if that is so...doesn't that kinda negate George's claim that he could tell Martin 'wasn't afraid'? 'cause to me, 'Escape' kinda implies 'running away due to fear'. Perhaps it's just me.

My question - that no one has answered yet: How long did George spend watching Martin at 1460? George is strangely quiet on this matter. I have a hard time believing George could come to such an instantaneous conclusion that Martin was doing all that suspicious 'looking around / stopped between houses / starting at me' etc. if George was just driving by at normal driving speed.

The short-cut near 1460 was very well-known by everyone in the complex. George would drive by it every single day. And 1460 was very well-known to George, being his friend and fellow Neighborhood Watch partner Frank Taffee.

I can only assume George spent some time parked at 1460 watching Martin.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
You're seriously going to claim that in his Hannity interview, George was using the word 'skipping' to mean 'skipped as another word for 'escape'?

I didn't claim Zimmerman was using the word "skipping" as another word for "escaping"; I claimed "it isn't even completely clear" which way he was using the word.  Do you or nomatter_nevermind really believe Zimmerman was saying Martin was skipping away, as a child skips?  That's a lot more improbable than believing he meant hurriedly fleeing the scene.

My guess is he meant a quick, mostly straight-legged step between a walk an a run.  But it's only a guess.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
My question - that no one has answered yet: How long did George spend watching Martin at 1460? George is strangely quiet on this matter. I have a hard time believing George could come to such an instantaneous conclusion that Martin was doing all that suspicious 'looking around / stopped between houses / starting at me' etc. if George was just driving by at normal driving speed.

Perhaps no one has answered because no one would have any way of knowing. We could follow your lead and just idly speculate.  Zimmerman may have been silent on the matter because he's mostly responded to interviewers' questions, and no one asked.   I'm not sure why it would be a big deal if he watched Martin for a while before calling the police.  It would show he was being cautious, not jumping to conclusions based, say, on the manner of Martin's dress.

Offline Kyreth

• Rate Post +0/-0
In context, that is clearly what Zimmerman was saying. His point was that Martin quickened his pace because he felt like it, because he was in high spirits, not because he was trying to flee.

Maybe the uninhibited, childlike behavior was another effect of the undetectable drugs Martin might have been on.

I don't think it's so clear that's what he was saying, since others have a different interpretation.

I saw no guessing on the part of Zimmerman as to what Martin might have thought or felt; beyond just his belief that someone in fear would have ran faster than he remembered Martin running.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
It seems to me that if Zimmerman was going to lie about his and Trayvon's movements and actions he would have made Trayvon's actions far more damning. Like saying he saw him testing the lock on a car door. Or he saw him fiddling with a window on a house. Something that couldn't be misinterpreted as anything other than criminal activity.

What reason would Zimmerman have to try and lie about Trayvon's movements and the timeline, anyways? It's not illegal to find someone suspicious, watch them or follow someone so lying about it would be pointless. I see such claims as just another attempt by Trayvon supporters to distract from the core issues of who physically assaulted who and did Zimmerman really fear serious injury and death. As I understand it (IANAL), and despite what Team Crump and the State try to suggest, the only thing that really matters is what happened in the moments of that final encounter.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
It seems to me that if Zimmerman was going to lie about his and Trayvon's movements and actions he would have made Trayvon's actions far more damning. Like saying he saw him testing the lock on a car door. Or he saw him fiddling with a window on a house. Something that couldn't be misinterpreted as anything other than criminal activity.

What reason would Zimmerman have to try and lie about Trayvon's movements and the timeline, anyways? It's not illegal to find someone suspicious, watch them or follow someone so lying about it would be pointless. I see such claims as just another attempt by Trayvon supporters to distract from the core issues of who physically assaulted who and did Zimmerman really fear serious injury and death. As I understand it (IANAL), and despite what Team Crump and the State try to suggest, the only thing that really matters is what happened in the moments of that final encounter.

Thank you. Quite precise.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
As I understand it (IANAL), and despite what Team Crump and the State try to suggest, the only thing that really matters is what happened in the moments of that final encounter.

I see it that way for Zimmerman's self defense claim, but the murder case, at least as framed in the state's affidavit narrative, looks farther back in time.  I don't think it will fly in a court of law, but the state, Parks, and Serino all attempt to attach culpability on, for example, getting out of the truck; which is preceded by the suggestion that Zimmerman "wrongly" had suspicion.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
This is the Hannity interview thread. Please post on a relevant thread. Thanks. I've cleaned the last few pages of this one.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Sean Hannity Nabs First Interview With George Zimmerman, Airing Tonight
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »
Quote from: dragon ash on July 25, 2012, 12:38:27 AM

I didn't claim Zimmerman was using the word "skipping" as another word for "escaping"; I claimed "it isn't even completely clear" which way he was using the word.  Do you or nomatter_nevermind really believe Zimmerman was saying Martin was skipping away, as a child skips?  That's a lot more improbable than believing he meant hurriedly fleeing the scene.

My guess is he meant a quick, mostly straight-legged step between a walk an a run.  But it's only a guess.

The whole “skipping” things seems to corroborate what DeeDee said during her original Crump interview.

"I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run, but he said he was not going to run."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-arrest-now-abc-reveals-crucial-phone/story?id=15959017#.UDUnqqnDJAI
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:56:52 PM by Redbrow »

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
And Zimmerman actually said "like skipping" so maybe he just couldn't think of better way to describe it at the time, during a stressfull interview.

ZIMMERMAN: Maybe I said running, but he was more --
HANNITY: You said he's running.
ZIMMERMAN: Yes. He was like skipping, going away quickly. But he wasn't running out of fear.
HANNITY: You could tell the difference?
ZIMMERMAN: He wasn't running.
HANNITY: So he wasn't actually running?
ZIMMERMAN: No, sir.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2012/07/18/exclusive-george-zimmerman-breaks-silence-hannity?page=2#ixzz24IpB1wYK

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
Quote from: dragon ash on July 25, 2012, 12:38:27 AM
The whole “skipping” things seems to corroborate what DeeDee said during her original Crump interview.

The 'walk fast' line was later in the narrative, when Zimmerman was on foot.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
The 'walk fast' line was later in the narrative, when Zimmerman was on foot.

Do you know of a transcript of the Crump interview from 3/19 or an understandable version of the recorded interview? As far as I know, the only version released so far is unlistenable. The ABC clips are understandable but incomplete and their printed version makes it difficult to know exactly where her comments fall in a timeline but it seems to be earlier, just after leaving the mailbox area and putting up the hood, according to this paragraph:

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," Martin's friend said. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run, but he said he was not going to run."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-arrest-now-abc-reveals-crucial-phone/story?id=15959017#.UDVKq6nDJAJ
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:25:42 PM by Redbrow »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »

Do you know of a transcript of the Crump interview from 3/19 or an understandable version of the recorded interview?

Crump on CNN, March 20.

As far as I know, the only version released so far is unlistenable.

Yes. I made what I could of it on the blog.

Longer response on W-8 thread.

Site Meter
click
tracking