Author Topic: Hannity Hearing Entered as Discovery Evidence  (Read 1979 times)

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Hannity Hearing Entered as Discovery Evidence
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
All part of God's plan

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:40:32 PM »
All part of God's plan

I wonder about the admissibility of that statement.  The test is whether a statement is more probative that prejudicial.  What material fact does the statement establish?  None at all, I think.   I also think it brings up a significant First Amendment issue: can Zimmerman's religious views be held against him?  Obviously, if someone who, say, killed an abortion doctor says, "My religion teaches abortion is murder; and it also teaches 'an eye for an eye,'" the statement could be used because it directly establishes motive and intent.  But a general belief in predestination does neither.  It's simply a controversial religious doctrine that some jurors may strongly disagree with.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
Zimmerman seems to espouse a belief that his church does not teach.

I doubt that it's all that rare for people to hold religious views that don't coincide with the religion they're affiliated with. Maybe Zimmerman is especially fond of The Book of Job.  In any event, I doubt the state can call a bishop to the stand and nail Zimmerman for heresy.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
Those who say Zimmerman's comments regarding God's plan are contrary to Catholic teaching would do well to read what Catholicism says in regard to predestination and divine providence.  It's so subtle, complex, and to my mind contradictory, that I can't blame Zimmerman for perhaps getting it wrong.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
Let's not get into a discussion of the teachings of various religions. Discuss his statement and what you think he meant if you want but the teachings of Catholicism or any religion -- or readers' personal religious views -- are not appropriate. Thanks.

Site Meter
click
tracking