Author Topic: Professionalism/ethics of the legal entities involved in the case  (Read 8547 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/jackson20idiot.jpg

Is this comment by the Martin family's lawyer really appropriate? Ethical?

I'd like to discus the legal and ethical aspects of what the lawyers and State have done and said. I'm not sure Jeralyn is going to allow it since it could devolve into insults of those involved, but I'd find an exploration of how far those involved could go and if some may have already crossed ethical/legal boundaries interesting.

As an example:

GRACE: OK, Ms. Jackson -- with me, everybody, Natalie Jackson. This is Trayvon Martin`s family lawyer joining us tonight and taking your calls.

Also with us is the Florida state attorney overseeing this case, Angela Corey, also taking your calls. Ms. Jackson, you say this is Zimmerman`s third story. What are the three stories in a nutshell?

JACKSON: The first story was Trayvon dragged him out of the car and attacked him. The second story was he was looking at -- he was looking for street signs to tell the police where he was, and Trayvon attacked him. Now we hear that Trayvon had somehow attacked him from behind and knocked him down.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1203/27/ng.01.html

Jackson's claim that Zimmerman said Trayvon dragged him out of the car is an obvious lie. Can she legally and ethically lie like that? Aren't there any ethical boundaries? I didn't see the interview but if Corey heard Jackson's comment shouldn't she have corrected such a blatant lie?

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Professionalism/ethics of the legal entities involved in the case
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
Jackson's claim that Zimmerman said Trayvon dragged him out of the car is an obvious lie. Can she legally and ethically lie like that? Aren't there any ethical boundaries? I didn't see the interview but if Corey heard Jackson's comment shouldn't she have corrected such a blatant lie?

Maybe Jackson is referring to her own stories (which have been numerous), not narratives told by Zimmerman.

Okay, that was tongue in cheek.  I assume she's putting words in Zimmerman's mouth in order to create discredit.

Corey has no duty to correct extrajudicial statements made by others.  There is a good argument that Jackson has violated ABA Model Rule 3.6.  She might argue that her remarks don't cross the boundary, because they don't result in substantial likelihood of prejudicing a trial.

Lawyers are not immune to defamation suit, either.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »
Maybe Jackson is referring to her own stories (which have been numerous), not narratives told by Zimmerman.

Okay, that was tongue in cheek.  I assume she's putting words in Zimmerman's mouth in order to create discredit.

Corey has no duty to correct extrajudicial statements made by others.  There is a good argument that Jackson has violated ABA Model Rule 3.6.  She might argue that her remarks don't cross the boundary, because they don't result in substantial likelihood of prejudicing a trial.

Lawyers are not immune to defamation suit, either.

I am still wondering how it is that she came to know about W9 early on. 

She has been a HUGE source of misinformation, IMO.

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »

Who took the call from W9?  Perkins?  It's not as though Crump and Jackson were "unknown" to the community, and that they'd find that sort of information to be of interest.  Somebody inside SPD passed the information along.  At this point it;ll be seen as "no harm, no foul."  Any pressure on the leaker would probably be met with an allegation that the pressure is racially motivated, and that's the last thing the new chief, mayor, and town manager want.

Jackson and Crump are agitators, in the same mold as Sharpton.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »

The summary of Serino’s statement does not mention the race of the officers who allegedly pressured him, but sources told The Miami Herald that Barnes and Perkins are black, and Villalona is married to an African-American man.

In his FBI interview, Serino accused Sgt. Barnes of being “friendly” with Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father. He said Tracy Martin at first understood why no charges were filed, but later changed coursse and accused Zimmerman of racial profiling.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/12/2892510/more-evidence-released-in-zimmerman.html

Possibly the information was passed from Barnes to Tracy to Team Crump? Anyway, I don't know that someone leaking information to Team Crump would put any legal or ethical burden on them. Unless they solicited the information or leaked it to the press? Could they do whatever they wanted with the information once they had it? What if they deliberately tried to spin or lie about the information to the press in order to manipulate how the public/court/jury would view it when it was ultimately released? Maybe get their interpretation out there before the official release? Illegal? Unethical?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »
Who took the call from W9?  Perkins?  It's not as though Crump and Jackson were "unknown" to the community, and that they'd find that sort of information to be of interest.  Somebody inside SPD passed the information along.  At this point it;ll be seen as "no harm, no foul."  Any pressure on the leaker would probably be met with an allegation that the pressure is racially motivated, and that's the last thing the new chief, mayor, and town manager want.

Jackson and Crump are agitators, in the same mold as Sharpton.

Exactly.  I don't see it as "no harm. no foul,"  though. 

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Exactly.  I don't see it as "no harm. no foul,"  though.

W9's statement was going to be made public, regardless, so leaking it ahead of time to team Crump didn't "change the outcome."  W9 is irrelevant to Corey's charge.  And in hindsight, as Zimmerman notes, the FBI involvement ends up a blessing for his defense.

Not saying the leaker shouldn't be punished.  Just speculating how the powers that be will rationalize the leak as "no harm," and use that mindset to avoid so much as a harsh look at Perkins and Barnes.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
I will leave this thread up for now but comments must be criticism of their statements, not attacks on the characters of the lawyers. I  suspect it will get deleted because readers won't follow the rules, but we'll see. Character attacks against anyone are not allowed here.

I've deleted another new thread begun about an African-American organization. I know what that will devolve into.  The state has not even charged that GZ "racially" profiled Trayvon. It alleged he profiled Trayvon as a criminal. There are many other forums for you to comment on if you disagree with the restrictions here.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
I was wondering if Crump had access to Zimmermans written statement before its release to the public.

I thought that it was strange that she referred to George sitting in his car talking on the phone, as relayed to her be Trayvon.  George Zimmerman drives a Honda Ridgeline, right?  He is the only other person I have seen refer to a truck as a car.  He does it in his written statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if many others have made comment about this but today is the first time I noticed it while rereading from the first dump.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:55 AM »
I was wondering if Crump had access to Zimmermans written statement before its release to the public.

I thought that it was strange that she referred to George sitting in his car talking on the phone, as relayed to her be Trayvon.  George Zimmerman drives a Honda Ridgeline, right?  He is the only other person I have seen refer to a truck as a car.  He does it in his written statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if many others have made comment about this but today is the first time I noticed it while rereading from the first dump.

Well, all the people convinced that Crump and Co. invented a story from whole cloth for the young lady to claim was the content of her telephone conversation are convinced they had access to everything the police had and more, almost before they had it.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:07:23 AM »
Well, all the people convinced that Crump and Co. invented a story from whole cloth for the young lady to claim was the content of her telephone conversation are convinced they had access to everything the police had and more, almost before they had it.

I don't know how much you would call "invented."  I do think that her version was sanitized.  I don't know if it is coaching or simply the fact that she is trying to protect the memory of her dead friend.  Maybe it is a combination of both.

Crump and Co. did a lot of damage to GZ's right to a fair trial, IMO.  A vast majority of the misinformation that was placed in the media was generated by them.  Daryl Parks went so far as to say that TM should have been beating GZ's arse for following him.  Was it Natalie Jackson or Benjamin Crump himself that called GZ a cold-blooded murderer?  AFAIAC, they have/had no ethics when pushing their cause about him racially profiling TM.  They have been proven wrong.  The FBI reports back it up.  Instead of owning up to it, they went silent.  I don't think he should sue them for cash.  I think he should demand an apology.

They pushed the innocent child coming home with tea and candy along with a picture of a 12 or 13yr old TM.  That is not the young man that met GZ at the "T" that night.  More than likely, the innocent stroll to Brandi Green's turned into an altercation that threw that innocence out the window.  IMO, he began to assault GZ after either returning to the "T" or laying in wait to see what GZ was up to.  That is a criminal action.

Of the few things that have come out about the negative behavior of TM, I really can't think of something that was not true.  That is not saying there isn't, I am just saying I can't think of anything.  There was that one photo that circulated around the web of TM flashing two birds at the camera in low slung pants that was proven not to be him but it never made the national media to my limited knowledge.

O/T:
((I would have believed Dee Dee more readily if she had said that Trayvon said "WTF is your problem?"  I think the "Why are you following me for" is not aggressive and could have elicited a different response from George Zimmerman than to cause him to get alarmed enough to reach for his phone.  They are just not fighting words.   It isn't like TM, much like GZ, wasn't  adverse to throwing around the "F" bomb.

Even the State has begrudgingly admitted that GZ was struck by TM... months later.  You will note that they didn't say anything about GZ landing a punch of his own in that altercation.  Why?  Because there is no evidence that GZ was able to do that while there is evidence that TM had.))

All IMO, might I add...

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 03:34:15 AM »
Was it Natalie Jackson or Benjamin Crump himself that called GZ a cold-blooded murderer?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were both, but I don't know about Jackson.

Benjamin Crump, March 20
A kid who is up to no good isn't on the phone constantly calling his friends back. Somebody who is looking to break in somewhere isn't on the phone talking to their friend when she's in Miami. That isn't what happens if he's up to no good. She says he is his regular self, all this stuff about him being high and stuff is preposterous. It's what Zimmerman wants you to believe so he can justify killing this kid in cold blood. . . . You ask yourself why didn't they take a background check on the man who had just killed this kid in cold blood. . . . Arrest George Zimmerman for the killing of Trayvon Martin in cold blood today. Arrest this killer. He killed this child in cold blood.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Cold Blood, Two Shots
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
With a quick google I found that Natalie Jackson has said 'in cold blood' at least once, when they were pushing the 'two gunshots' theory.

“It is so clear that this was a 17-year-old boy pleading for his life, and someone shot him in cold blood,” said Natalie Jackson, one of the Martin family lawyers.

It's obvious who 'someone' would be, but I wonder if avoiding Zimmerman's name would shield Jackson from a defamation claim.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
As to the off-topic remarks, please discuss in the appropriate thread  so I don't have to delete comments here. I didn't start this thread but it's about the professional and ethical conduct of the various lawyers.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
As to the off-topic remarks, please discuss in the appropriate thread  so I don't have to delete comments here. I didn't start this thread but it's about the professional and ethical conduct of the various lawyers.

Is discussion of allegations that Crump, et al, influenced the young lady's account considered germane to the topic of "professional and ethical conduct of the various lawyers"?

Site Meter
click
tracking