Author Topic: Lester wins high marks  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
Lester wins high marks
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
From the Orlando Sun 26 July 2012 article.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-26/news/os-zimmerman-judge-poll-20120726_1_lowest-rated-judge-poll-participant-george-zimmerman

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., who presides over the George Zimmerman murder case, is one of the highest-ranked jurists in Central Florida, according to a recent poll of criminal defense attorneys.

Does anyone know the makeup of the group polled?

Also from the article.

The jurist with the highest rating is retired: O.H. Eaton Jr., a former Seminole circuit judge who earlier this year stepped back onto the bench to handle more than 15 trials at the Orange County Courthouse.
His most noteworthy came in February, when he acquitted Delores Laster, the former Orange County teacher charged with first-degree murder in a 20-year-old cold-case homicide.

Eaton picked a jury, listened to the state's evidence then threw out the case, citing a lack of evidence.

Eaton said Thursday that he was pleased but baffled by the poll results. He suspected, he said, that lawyers liked that he started on time and did his job.

On the downside

One of the worst-rated is Orange County Judge Antoinette Plogstedt, who's seeking re-election. Her overall rating was 2.28, closer to "poor" (2) than "satisfactory" (3). Several critics, who wrote comments anonymously, said she was embarrassingly pro-prosecution.

"Judge Plogstedt seems to think that everyone is guilty because they have been arrested," wrote one poll participant.

"As a state attorney, Judge Plogstedt makes my cases easy to prove," wrote another.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Lester wins high marks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
While the poll was by a criminal defense organizations, voting was open to non-member lawyers and prosecutors. There were no comments for Judge Lester.

Several comments for other judges were deleted for violating some kind of ethical rule.

The survey is here

http://www.cfacdl.org/_literature_142700/2012_Judicial_Poll_Results

I checked the 2011  results -- pretty much the same

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
My Judge Pick For This Case
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
would be Judge Eaton.  Then the next highest ranking retired judge.  You definitely don't want anyone who is worrying about reelection. 

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: My Judge Pick For This Case
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »
would be Judge Eaton.  Then the next highest ranking retired judge.  You definitely don't want anyone who is worrying about reelection.

That and $5 gets you coffee at starbucks.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Lester wins high marks
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
And it's not a scientific or inclusive study. It was done by the defense bar mailing questionnaires to its members and other lawyers. Who knows how many chose not  to respond?

Site Meter
click
tracking