Author Topic: Defense preparing to file a motion to modify GZ bond  (Read 8606 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Defense preparing to file a motion to modify GZ bond
« on: July 31, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
His lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said one main concern is money. He said Seminole County is the most dangerous place for Zimmerman to live, and the cost of round-the-clock security is draining the defense fund.

"We're preparing to file a motion to modify George's bond to allow him to move out of Seminole County," said O'Mara.

There were hints by GZlegalCase on the FB page that there might be a new announcement today. It hasn't shown up on any defense official site but I'm guessing it's related to this.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/trayvon-martin-extended-coverage/George-Zimmerman-wants-out-of-Seminole-County/-/14266478/15887782/-/4k7wwu/-/index.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:16:48 PM by FromBelow »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Defense preparing to file a motion to modify GZ bond
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
Maybe he's waiting for Lester to rule on his recusal motion.  Hasn't O'Mara  said the judicial rule on recusal prevent Lester from ruling on motions while it's pending?

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
Maybe he's waiting for Lester to rule on his recusal motion.  Hasn't O'Mara  said the judicial rule on recusal prevent Lester from ruling on motions while it's pending?

I seem to recall that Lester has to rule on the recusal before ruling on anything else but I can't remember where I read that. Still, couldn't MOM file whatever motions he wants anyways? Lester might not be able to rule on it but the motion to modify the bond will be there waiting for whatever judge replaces him. Maybe one of the first things a new judge would have to rule on and that might give MOM a better chance of getting what he wants. Fresh judge and all. IANAL. But yea, the news MOM suggests could be coming soon could be related to the recusal or something completely unrelated. I was jumping to conclusions. I guess we'll wait and see.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
I think I actually read that Lester couldn't rule until he settled the disqualification thing on this forum. A post by cboldt. I'm not sure that MOM would have pointed out that Lester couldn't make any more rulings. It would be like thumbing his nose at the judge after filing his motion. That doesn't seem like his style. But I could have just missed him saying it or forgotten.

The disqualification rule is written so that the judge can't rule once he's under a motion to disqualify.  He ruled on the 12th, and the record has him receiving the motion to disqualify on the 13th.  He can't be held to honor a situation he is not aware of, and he has no obligation to "fetch back" rulings before the clerk gets around to filing them.

http://forums.talkleft.com/index.php/topic,2030.msg97560.html#msg97560

Site Meter
click
tracking