Author Topic: TalkLeft featured in Miami Herald article  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
TalkLeft featured in Miami Herald article
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:30 AM »
The Trayvon Martin truth squad: a Web phenomenon

Merritt, a criminal defense lawyer in Denver, has one of the few pro-Zimmerman sites where talk of Trayvon’s drug use, Twitter posts and scurrilous accusations about him are off-limits. A veteran blogger and legal analyst, she views the case through the lens of the rights of the accused.

“I love that instead of reporting gossip, we can use actual documents,” she said. “I look at what the state can prove, not what Zimmerman can prove. He doesn’t have to prove anything.”

She believes the tracing of Trayvon’s steps that night shows he lingered too long, which could back up Zimmerman’s account that the teenager circled back and attacked him.

Most of the rest is more of the usual from the Herald.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: TalkLeft featured in Miami Herald article
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »
The Trayvon Martin truth squad: a Web phenomenon

Most of the rest is more of the usual from the Herald.

I had just finished reading that and posted a medium length response but the Herald wouldn't let me log in nor retrieve my password.  I wasn't fond of the fact that Robles didn't dispute the "No blood on the cuffs of Martin" when it is in the FDLE Lab Report.  I posted it in the Forensic thread instead.

I thought it highlighted TalkLeft as a step above the others but I might be a little biased!

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
I wonder how people feel about this quote from the end of the story? I'd also like to know Jeralyn's perspective as a defense attorney:

"Attorney Jose Baez, who successfully represented accused killer Casey Anthony in what Time magazine called “The Social Media Trial of the Century,” said the armchair experts do more harm than good.

“Florida’s public-record law needs to bow to a defendant’s right to a fair trial,” he said. “Some woman sitting behind her computer with nine cats knows more about the case than anybody. What you end up with is a dog and pony show, and people want to march in the parade. I think it is severely perverting justice.”

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:16:58 AM »
I wonder how people feel about this quote from the end of the story? I'd also like to know Jeralyn's perspective as a defense attorney:

"Attorney Jose Baez, who successfully represented accused killer Casey Anthony in what Time magazine called “The Social Media Trial of the Century,” said the armchair experts do more harm than good.

“Florida’s public-record law needs to bow to a defendant’s right to a fair trial,” he said. “Some woman sitting behind her computer with nine cats knows more about the case than anybody. What you end up with is a dog and pony show, and people want to march in the parade. I think it is severely perverting justice.”

In a couple of sites that I visit, Baez is so detested that it is almost funny.  They all loved the guy that was the lead prosecutor.  They kind of hate it when I point out that Baez won his case because the State couldn't prove theirs.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
Supposedly there's a "really rich person" who's told GZ if he'd hire Baez all legal bills would be paid. I don't know anything about it other than that.

I don't know why anyone would want a guy with with the Casey Anthony baggage--not this soon. Nothing against him as a lawyer, just that GZ is already polarizing enough.

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:34:21 AM »
I heard it was a "consortium" and that MOM said "no way." ???

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
I'm not interested in Jose Baez. This thread is about the Miami Herald article. Although Baez is quoted, it's about the internet coverage, not whether he was asked to represent Zimmerman. Please take any such discussion to an appropriate thread.

Also, what "you heard" is gossip. Please don't post gossip.

Offline whitecap333

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »
Surprising amount of pro-Zimmerman sentiment reflected in the comments forum of this article.  Anyone see the earlier Herald article, Poll: Most Floridians Want No Changes to Stand Your Ground Law, 7-16-12?  The poll was conducted by an independent public opinion research group commissioned by the Herald.  It included a question about Zimmerman's innocence or guilt.  44% said "innocent" and 40% "guilty."  The results reflect a demographic split, of course.  The questioning was completed before the results of the FBI inquiry were announced.  I believe the group polled was made up of 800 registered Florida voters.  Sorry, can't post links.

Offline vegas

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »
I had just finished reading that and posted a medium length response but the Herald wouldn't let me log in nor retrieve my password.  I wasn't fond of the fact that Robles didn't dispute the "No blood on the cuffs of Martin" when it is in the FDLE Lab Report.  I posted it in the Forensic thread instead.

I thought it highlighted TalkLeft as a step above the others but I might be a little biased!
I am biased too. What a relief it is to read TalkLeft not tainted with hysteria. Jeralyn is a  poppy in the weeds.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:47:14 AM by vegas »

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »
I am biased too. What a relief it is to read TalkLeft not tainted with hysteria. Jeralyn is a  poppy in the weeds.
Deleted for drug reference not yet introduced into evidence?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Deleted for drug reference not yet introduced into evidence?

A Poppy Is Also A Flower!  LOL!

I cruise all over a bunch of sites and the character assassinations on them make me sick to the stomach.  this place is a relief.  Jeralyn watches over this site like a momma bear.

Offline whitecap333

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
People do get so irked over opposing views.  I'm looking at a couple of responses here to comments left on another forum.  One prays that I be "placed in line for genetic elimination."  The other grimly warns "H*ll awaits you."   

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
A Poppy Is Also A Flower!  LOL!

I cruise all over a bunch of sites and the character assassinations on them make me sick to the stomach.  this place is a relief.  Jeralyn watches over this site like a momma bear.

Momma Grizzly?

8) ;D

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
Eric Zorn at the Chicago Tribune today discusses Robles' article.

It mentions TalkLeft, frequently cited here, and the massively unpersuasive bcclist (sample polemic -- "It’s ludicrous to suggest Trayvon Martin didn’t have every right to beat his ass. Who’s to say Zimmerman wasn’t a kidnapper in Trayvon’s mind? Without being said, there wasn’t an issue until Zimmerman got pwned by a teenager weighing significantly less than him, supposedly started screaming for help (tough with a broken nose/blood gurgling down your throat), and decided to shoot another human being during a FIST FIGHT – WRESTLING MATCH.")

And good for Zorn, for calling the Herald out for only including a link to one of the many sites interviewed by Robles. (It wasn't TL or Bcclist, but another pro-TM site.)

Site Meter
click
tracking