Author Topic: Martin Family Mischaracterizes Photo Released in Error  (Read 5023 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Martin Family Mischaracterizes Photo Released in Error
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
There was one  xerox copy of one photograph erroneously released by the state to the media yesterday. It was a photo taken within minutes of the shooting, at the scene, by a neighbor.

Trayvon Martin's parents, nonetheless, gave a statement to the media today, calling the photo an "autopsy photo" and saying more than one photo was accidentally released. Neither statement is true.

While it was an unfortunate mistake that the autopsy photographs of our son were released we appreciate the media and the public for not reproducing or publishing the photographs."

Again: One xerox copy of a cell phone photo was released, it was not an autopsy photo and  there was no release of multiple photos.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Martin Family Mischaracterizes Photo Released in Error
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »
There was one  xerox copy of one photograph erroneously released by the state to the media yesterday. It was a photo taken within minutes of the shooting, at the scene, by a neighbor.

Trayvon Martin's parents, nonetheless, gave a statement to the media today, calling the photo an "autopsy photo" and saying more than one photo was accidentally released. Neither statement is true.

Again: One xerox copy of a cell phone photo was released, it was not an autopsy photo and  there was no release of multiple photos.

How could they get this so wrong?  I am still trying to get over that a 76 page email was a mistake.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:51:02 AM »
Have you considered that your wording makes it sound as though you are not saying "The Martin family is mistaken, or has been misinformed", but rather as though you are saying "The Martin family is lying"?

Why? That the statement is not true is a neutral statement of fact. It neither assigns the motive of mistake or deception to the statement. It does characterize the truthfulness. Which word or phrase would your style guide assign?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:17 AM »
Why? That the statement is not true is a neutral statement of fact. It neither assigns the motive of mistake or deception to the statement. It does characterize the truthfulness. Which word or phrase would your style guide assign?

.The gist of the statement was a simple thanks to media outlets for not publishing a post mortem photo.
It was not handled artfully, but I don't see a motive for the Martins to be purposely innacurate.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:14:29 AM »
.The gist of the statement was a simple thanks to media outlets for not publishing a post mortem photo. It was not handled artfully, but I don't see a motive for the Martins to be purposely innacurate.

The motive behind the deception is of little interest to me. The conspiracy (deliberate or accidental) by groups of people to stoke the flames of civil unrest in a effort to deny a person's rights is, in itself, enough motivation to pay careful attention to assertions and correct the record. Spreading the truth is a good thing.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:38:34 AM »
.The gist of the statement was a simple thanks to media outlets for not publishing a post mortem photo.
It was not handled artfully, but I don't see a motive for the Martins to be purposely innacurate.

But they specifically say "autopsy photographs" that "were released"--and none were.

Therefore--they're trying to cause some sort of issue. Why else rush out and say "autopsy photographs" when they could have said "the picture of our son dead in the grass" which is what it was?

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:13:15 AM »
But they specifically say "autopsy photographs" that "were released"--and none were.

Therefore--they're trying to cause some sort of issue. Why else rush out and say "autopsy photographs" when they could have said "the picture of our son dead in the grass" which is what it was?

I can't fathom how the reaction would be different - but I don't understand all the PR threads running through the Martin support machine

Offline AJ

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »
Have you considered that your wording makes it sound as though you are not saying "The Martin family is mistaken, or has been misinformed", but rather as though you are saying "The Martin family is lying"?

Some believe that this was orchestrated between the SAO and Team Crump to take the focus off of some other issues (the whole insurance company thing and something about Ms. Fulton trying to get money from the state - I didn't pay too much attention to those). Where did they get this idea? I don't know, but I have an idea (I have an idea of an idea?). I don't know if I believe this is the case or not, it almost sounds like a conspiracy theory and while I don't trust Ms. Corey a whole lot I'm not sure if she'd do something like this to take the focus off of something so minor (of course, my opinion).

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
I can't fathom how the reaction would be different - but I don't understand all the PR threads running through the Martin support machine

Maybe it wouldn't. I just find the word choice interesting. It seems like an odd mistake to make, considering how organized the whole Crump/Martin machine has been.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »

That's insulting and I didn't imply it. I'm going to delete your comment.

They were wrong in characterizing the photo as an autopsy photo when it was a photo of TM at the scene of the shooting. They were wrong when they used the plural as only one photo was mistakenly released.

It was said during a media interview.

I ascribed no motives. I assume they were mistaken, but it's an inaccurate statement.

It's worth pointing out because it shows that they are not always correct in their recitation of events.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »
That's insulting and I didn't imply it. I'm going to delete your comment.

They were wrong in characterizing the photo as an autopsy photo when it was a photo of TM at the scene of the shooting. They were wrong when they used the plural as only one photo was mistakenly released.

It was said during a media interview.

I ascribed no motives. I assume they were mistaken, but it's an inaccurate statement.

It's worth pointing out because it shows that they are not always correct in their recitation of events.

I didn't say that you implied it, I asked if you considered that the way you worded it could cause it to be taken that way.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
I didn't say that you implied it, I asked if you considered that the way you worded it could cause it to be taken that way.

My guess is that Team Martin will be shown to be rarely accurate in their descriptions. I also expect that the motives for those errors will not be excused as benign mistakes. Time will tell

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »
I wonder what their reaction was to that fact that while they were thanking the media for not releasing that photo, The Orlando Sentinel had it on their website.  Robles writes for them and she is a sympathetic voice for them.  There are a couple  reporters on the payroll that do the same.  They seem to have a inside track to Natalie Jackson and Benjamin Crump.

I thought it was Stutzman at the Orlando paper and Robles at the Miami paper?

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
I thought it was Stutzman at the Orlando paper and Robles at the Miami paper?

I deleted that comment because it was wrong. Robles writes for the Miami Herald. The Orlando Sentinel took it down. They actually sent out two corrections. First, they sent it all. Then they sent out a version without GZ's records. Then they realized the photo was in it and sent out a third version. I don't know what time the paper redacted, but it was the same day.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
Thank you for correcting that.  Sorry.  ((blushing))

Site Meter
click
tracking