Author Topic: Mark 'O'Mara's 8/13 Press Conference  (Read 13675 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Mark 'O'Mara's 8/13 Press Conference
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:47:56 AM »
This is a board to discuss breaking events. like press conferences, hearing settings, entry of new lawyers and exit of others, announced changes in strategy, etc.  Discussion is welcome here. Just start a new thread to discuss a different event.

I'll start this one with Mark O'Mara's press conference tomorrow. What's so important that he needs to call the press to hear it?. He already said he's filing the SYG motion and it won't be for months. He can tell us about a recusal  appeal via his website. I can only think of two thiings:

One: He's going to announce the appeal of Lester's order on the recusal, and say his arbitrary refusal to allow George to move is another sign of is prejudice since he did not commit a bond violation while on bond.

Two, and this is probably more of  a long shot, but I won't be surprised: O'Mara's going to withdraw from the case over a difference in strategy and he thinks George will be better served by a lawyer who starts with a clean slate with this judge.  [Update: It was reason one so I deleted the remainder of my comment on the withdrawal issue.]

What other reasons do you see for this press conference tomorrow?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:15:18 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Mark 'O'Mara's 8/13 Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »
Maybe he's going to introduce/announce a new member of the defense team. Less likely is that he might announce some civil lawsuits. But I'd think those would happen after the case is resolved. MOM doesn't seem like the type that would have a press conference about Lester's recusal. It doesn't seem like it would be very professional to do what would essentially be talking crap about Lester. I guess we'll find out.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:43 AM »
Jeff Weiner @JeffWeinerOS
1m
#GeorgeZimmerman's defense team tells @renestutzman they'll have a news conference Monday. Will talk SYG, today's evidence. #TrayvonMartin

https://twitter.com/JeffWeinerOS/status/233653615988977665

Apparently it's about the SYG hearing and newest evidence. Odd. I thought that he wasn't able to talk about the evidence. I guess he doesn't have to go into detail. It might just be essentially what was posted on the gzlegalcase site with some question and answer. I get the feeling MOM is ready to be a bit more aggressive about defending GZ in the media. From the website:

Since the beginning, there has been a rush to judgment in the case against George Zimmerman. Since the first day of his involvement, Mr. O’Mara has emphasized that people should be patient and wait for the evidence to be released before forming opinions about the case.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Press conference now set for 1:45 pm ET. No preceding announcement.

Offline Kyreth

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
http://www.wftv.com/s/watchlive/ is streaming now in front of O'Mara's office.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
I have to rely on you all to give me the details.  I tried and looked at a black screen for 15 minutes.  I really need to get another computer!

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
Writ of prohibition to appeal JKLs order denying recusal.

Immunity hearing timeframe ~5 months.

Starting to depose witnesses. Will start with responders - EMTs and ME. Setting up those appointments now.

Not a SYG case. Evidence suggests Zimmerman had no oppurtunity to retreat.

Lester's comments and conclusions in order are disturbing. Lester is a ggod judge. He is currently the judge in this case.

Offline Kyreth

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Yeah, some people are freaking out at O'Mara saying this isn't a Stand  Your Ground case.  I thought he explained it well.

The Statute says that if attacked in an area you have a legal right to be in, you aren't required to retreat.  George, being pinned on his back didn't have an opportunity to retreat so that part of the statute doesn't apply, but self defense still does apply and the statute gives him the right to have the immunity hearing to dismiss the charges on self defense.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
Yeah, some people are freaking out at O'Mara saying this isn't a Stand  Your Ground case.  I thought he explained it well.

The Statute says that if attacked in an area you have a legal right to be in, you aren't required to retreat.  George, being pinned on his back didn't have an opportunity to retreat so that part of the statute doesn't apply, but self defense still does apply and the statute gives him the right to have the immunity hearing to dismiss the charges on self defense.

So they're going to have a Stuck On The Ground Hearing?

(I couldn't resist)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
Lay Your Ground

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
If it's not SYG then how does he get  a pre-trial hearing? Self-defense is decided at trial.

I didn't hear the press conference but I think he meant SYG does apply because he was in a place he lawfully had a right to be and thus had no duty to retreat, but he will also show he couldn't have retreated even if he wanted to to refute the notion that the law applies only to those who shoot without considering other options. He wants people to know GZ couldn't retreat, even though it's not a required showing under SYG.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »
I didn't hear the press conference but I think he meant SYG does apply because he was in a place he lawfully had a right to be and thus had no duty to retreat, but he will also show he couldn't have retreated even if he wanted to to refute the notion that the law applies only to those who shoot without considering other options. He wants people to know GZ couldn't retreat, even though it's not a required showing under SYG.

That's exactly how it was presented. He was stressing that the immunity statute is one issue and duty to retreat is another. He's trying to get in front of the coming media narrative that Zimmerman, using SYG, somehow acted with other options available and but for this technicality he would be guilty. Instead he pointed out, as you have repeatedly, that this is traditional self defense and that Zimmerman had exhausted his avenue of retreat.

Offline amateur

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
If it's not SYG then how does he get  a pre-trial hearing? Self-defense is decided at trial.

I think the immunity part of the statute gets lumped in with SYG because they were enacted together but really both are just additions to the self defense statute.  The immunity hearing is for all self defense claims, as I understand it.

If I had to guess I'd say that with no witnesses to the initiation of the violence and GZ's credibility being impaired (justly or not), O'Mara decided it would be very tough to prove SYG at a hearing.  Maybe it's smart to focus on the inability to retreat.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
I think the immunity part of the statute gets lumped in with SYG because they were enacted together but really both are just additions to the self defense statute.  The immunity hearing is for all self defense claims, as I understand it.

If I had to guess I'd say that with no witnesses to the initiation of the violence and GZ's credibility being impaired (justly or not), O'Mara decided it would be very tough to prove SYG at a hearing.  Maybe it's smart to focus on the inability to retreat.

He said he would focus on whether Zimmerman had a reasonable fear of great harm to himself when he shot Martin, or something very close to those words.  Said that is what the case is all about.  I am 100% in agreement with him on that.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
O'Mara Press Conference
Video courtesy DiWataMan

Site Meter
click
tracking