Author Topic: Chris Serino's Phone Interview w/GZ  (Read 4605 times)

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
Chris Serino's Phone Interview w/GZ
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
http://www.talkleft.com/zimm/serinotrans325call.pdf

In the beginning Serino is talking into his recorder stating who his is, his status with the SPD, Date, Time, that he is calling GZ from his house, and the case number, etc.  He says that he is "getting ready to make a call to George ZImmerman in reference to case number 201250001136.  Hey George?"

He then begins his call with GZ and asked if GZ has retained a lawyer, questions him about Craig Sonner, then begins to ask a few questions with answers because he wants to arrange a time that Zimmerman can come back to interview with the SAO.

My question is why did he not tell George Zimmerman that he was recording the call?  At the end of the conversation he says "bye" then proceeds to state "I will conclude that telephone interview.  It is 8:42 pm."

If the SAO took over the case on March 23rd or so why is he even calling GZ on 25th?

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Chris Serino's Phone Interview w/GZ
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

If the SAO took over the case on March 23rd or so why is he even calling GZ on 25th?

Because the SAO knows it is unethical for them to contact an unrepresented defendant directly, so they used a puppet like Serino to do their dirty work for them. That is my guess.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:41:12 PM by Redbrow »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
Because the SAO knows it is unethical for them to contact an unrepresented defendant directly, so they used a puppet like Serino to do their dirty work for them. That is my guess.

So why did they refuse to take a call from him some three days before his arrest on April 11th?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »

But was he an unrepresented defendant at the time, or just unrepresented?

He hadn't been charged at that point (they waited until the day after the grand jury they dodged began).

I realize that it's just a technicality since it's unprovable but still painfully obvious that they took the case away from Wolfinger right after March 20th because they intended to charge him with something, but still, you aren't a defendant until there's a charge against which to defend.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:12:56 AM »
Zimmerman may not have been officially charged at the time but knowing what we do now it is seems clear Bondi intended to use Corey to charge Zimmerman regardless of probable cause, without a grand jury hearing.

March 21st – IN NEW YORK CITY LIMO (With Crump) Pam Bondi: “Hey Sybrina, Tracy, are you there. Hi. I am so very, very, sorry. As attorney general, I have absolutely no legal authority to take the case, and I looked, I tried.”

She apparently already determined Trayvon and the Martin's were victims of a crime and is stating her desire to prosecute the case before there was a officially a case.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:34 AM »
March 21st – IN NEW YORK CITY LIMO (With Crump) Pam Bondi: “Hey Sybrina, Tracy, are you there. Hi. I am so very, very, sorry. As attorney general, I have absolutely no legal authority to take the case, and I looked, I tried.”

Source?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »
Zimmerman may not have been officially charged at the time but knowing what we do now it is seems clear Bondi intended to use Corey to charge Zimmerman regardless of probable cause, without a grand jury hearing.

She apparently already determined Trayvon and the Martin's were victims of a crime and is stating her desire to prosecute the case before there was a officially a case.

Very interesting. 

On March 20, Wolfinger announces his intention to take the case to the grand jury which would be starting up April 10.

On March 22, he's out, Corey's in.

But the day in between the Fla. AG says she can't touch it, which would imply that Wolfinger still had jurisdiction over it.

Something or someone convinced the governor to step in and orchestrate things literally overnight.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
Back to the original question...

Why didn't Serino announce that he was recording that call?  I believe that legally he has to let GZ know that. 

((Even bill collectors have to let you know that they are recording your call.))

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:36 AM »

Why didn't Serino announce that he was recording that call?  I believe that legally he has to let GZ know that. 

((Even bill collectors have to let you know that they are recording your call.))

Is Florida one of the states where only one party has to be aware of the recording? I know some states are but I forget the list just now. I got involved with that during my parents crazy divorce.
Still, one would think cops always have to advise you of it? Then again, I'm rarely surprised anymore by some of the things cops do.

Wikipedia says Florida is one of the states where both parties have to be informed.

Maybe GZ had been told previously to expect to be recorded any time a cop talked to him?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:06:04 AM by annoyedbeyond »

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:51 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing from a lawyer on this. I think (IANAL) that private citizens can record and give those recording to whomever they want, but those working in an official (government) capacity have to give notice. I think corporations only give notice as a courtesy and don't have a legal obligation to do so. Am I close?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:42 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws

The rules are different, I think, for radio communications, aren't they? Cordless and especially cell phones?

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
Maybe GZ had been told previously to expect to be recorded any time a cop talked to him?

Unless GZ's on record agreeing (signed something) to give the police carte blanche I don't see it matters what he was told. Again, need a lawyer to chime in on this. Apparently even as a private citizen Serino wouldn't have been legally allowed to record the call.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Unless GZ's on record agreeing (signed something) to give the police carte blanche I don't see it matters what he was told. Again, need a lawyer to chime in on this. Apparently even as a private citizen Serino wouldn't have been legally allowed to record the call.

Florida allows police to record calls without informing the other party. 

Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited.

c) It is lawful under ss. 934.03-934.09 for an investigative or law enforcement officer or a person acting under the direction of an investigative or law enforcement officer to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication when such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception and the purpose of such interception is to obtain evidence of a criminal act.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:39:35 PM by TalkLeft »

Site Meter
click
tracking