Author Topic: George Zimmerman hearing Friday (8/24) in dispute over subpoena  (Read 6312 times)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
George Zimmerman's lawyer has scheduled a hearing Friday morning because of a disputed subpoena.

It's not yet clear what subpoenaMark O'Marais challenging or his objection, but attorneys for both sides are scheduled to be in court in Sanford Friday at 8:30 a.m. before Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr.

Zimmerman will not be in the courtroom, according to a state employee.

The 28-year-old Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for shooting Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17-year-old, in Sanford on Feb. 26.

Zimmerman says he acted in self-defense.

Check back for details.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-20/news/os-george-zimmerman-subpoena-20120820_1_george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-mark-o-mara

Intewesting. I didn't expect MOM to put anything in front of Lester until his recusal is settled. Must be something urgent?

Update at same link:

George Zimmerman's lawyer has scheduled a hearing Friday morning to try and quash a subpoena for Zimmerman's medical records.

Attorney Mark O'Mara is objecting to the subpoena on the grounds that those records are private and that Zimmerman is still entitled to some privacy.

His objection also states that the subpoena, signed by Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda, is overly broad. In it, O'Mara also suggests that if the court won't quash the subpoena, that the records should be looked at in the judge's chamber and not be subject to public release.

Since his injury report was already released, I'm guessing they are going for medical/psychological history?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:07:40 PM by FromBelow »

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: George Zimmerman hearing Friday (8/24) in dispute over subpoena
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-20/news/os-george-zimmerman-subpoena-20120820_1_george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-mark-o-mara

Intewesting. I didn't expect MOM to put anything in front of Lester until his recusal is settled. Must be something urgent?

The link you provided says it's about medical records--GZ's to be precise.

"George Zimmerman's lawyer has scheduled a hearing Friday morning to try and quash a subpoena for Zimmerman's medical records.

Attorney Mark O'Mara is objecting to the subpoena on the grounds that those records are private and that Zimmerman is still entitled to some privacy.

His objection also states that the subpoena, signed by Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda, is overly broad. In it, O'Mara also suggests that if the court won't quash the subpoena, that the records should be looked at in the judge's chamber and not be subject to public release."

Apparently O'Mara didn't get the memo that GZ has no expectation of privacy.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Apparently O'Mara didn't get the memo that GZ has no expectation of privacy.

I'm not sure that's actually true. Where's Jeralyn when you need her to explain stuff? Anyways, my guess is the State wants to try and establish that GZ has some medical or psychological condition, or was on some drugs, that made him want to "pursue" and kill small skittle loving children. Why am I thinking about TM's full toxicology right now? The entire "issue" with GZ being on medication always seemed to me to be a counter to TM having used drugs. I'm even more curious about what might be on that full toxicology.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
I'm not sure that's actually true. Where's Jeralyn when you need her to explain stuff? Anyways, my guess is the State wants to try and establish that GZ has some medical or psychological condition, or was on some drugs, that made him want to "pursue" and kill small skittle loving children. Why am I thinking about TM's full toxicology right now? The entire "issue" with GZ being on medication always seemed to me to be a counter to TM having used drugs. I'm even more curious about what might be on that full toxicology.

I was being sarcastic. There should probably be a warning label on most of my posts.

I wish you hadn't brought up TM's full tox.  :o

;)

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
I was being sarcastic. There should probably be a warning label on most of my posts.

I wish you hadn't brought up TM's full tox.  :o

;)

LOL Sorry. I really don't get why people (Media) aren't pursuing getting it released. I wonder if MOM has it and for some reason we just never even heard about it. Could it have been silently omitted from public release?

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
LOL Sorry. I really don't get why people (Media) aren't pursuing getting it released. I wonder if MOM has it and for some reason we just never even heard about it. Could it have been silently omitted from public release?

I think these last 3 posts stand a good chance of being deleted.

;D

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
I think these last 3 posts stand a good chance of being deleted.

;D

I haven't speculated on what it might contain, and it is a missing piece of discovery. Something we should have but hasn't been released. *shrug* Although I'm sure someone will speculate and throw it into the forbidden attack on TM/GZ's arena. *sigh*

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
Maybe the state wants to argue about whether his nose was really broken? ;D

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: George Zimmerman hearing Friday (8/24) in dispute over subpoena (pdf)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »
AMENDED NOTICE OF OBJECTION TO SUBPOENA REGARDING GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S MEDICAL RECORDS
ON 20 AUGUST 2012.
We object to the State’s request for additional medical records, as there has been no showing of relevance, or that these records would lead to discoverable, relevant information. We have agreed to review the records and voluntarily disclose what may be relevant.

http://www.gzlegalcase.com/index.php/press-releases/44-amended-notice-of-objection-to-subpoena-regarding-george-zimmerman-s-medical-records

EDIT: Also a more expansive OS article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-subpoena-20120820,0,1111822.story
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:57:30 PM by FromBelow »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
And the response from the State is due back on August 23rd as to the recusal of Judge Lester...., right?

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2012/8/14/182857/595

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
Recent tweets from Jeff Weiner in regards to the Medical records requested:

State's response reveals what they want from #GeorgeZimmerman's doctors: Any tests performed on him (X-rays, etc.) as well as notes/photos
Expand

7m Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS

PDF: State responds to #GeorgeZimmerman's attempt to block subpoena for medical records
 http://scr.bi/SsOeMv
#TrayvonMartin

I read their arguments but I would love to hear from an attorney on this.  It sounds like a fishing expedition to me...

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
The state has filed a response to Zimmerman's objection to the subpoena for medical records. I read it quickly but it seems the state is not seeking medical records for treatment prior to the shooting.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
Hearing today: The judge won't make the records public now. He'll  review them in camera and decide what is privileged.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »
Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda argued in court paperwork that he needs to know more about injuries Zimmerman says he suffered the night he shot and killed Trayvon, who was walking through Zimmerman's Sanford neighborhood and whom Zimmerman described to police as suspicious.
(Orlando Sentinel)

What else does he expect to find other than what's already released, if that's all they want?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda argued in court paperwork that he needs to know more about injuries Zimmerman says he suffered the night he shot and killed Trayvon, who was walking through Zimmerman's Sanford neighborhood and whom Zimmerman described to police as suspicious.
(Orlando Sentinel)

What else does he expect to find other than what's already released, if that's all they want?

Doesn't the law state that it doesn't matter what Bernie decided is serious enough, it matters on what George decided was serious enough?

Site Meter
click
tracking