Author Topic: Trayvon Martin's Cellphone Records  (Read 34770 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Trayvon Martin's Cellphone Records
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Here's a theory:

Neither the prosecution nor the defense want this material retrieved because they have no way of knowing in advance if it might hurt their case, and prefer not to take the risk.  They do say lawyers shouldn't ask questions to which they don't already know the answer.

So nobody wants it out except those of us who want to know what actually happened that night, but have little or nothing to lose regardless of the outcome of the trial.

Here's another theory: the defense wants the information. Evidence for that theory:

It appears that no one has tried since then to pull more information from it, O'Mara said. He said he would press Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson at a Dec. 11 hearing to order the state to provide more information about what's on the phone.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
I said it was a theory.

I didn't say anything about how good it was. ;D

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Which 'authorities' questioned Crump last month and why? Hopefully we'll learn more when the state's 9th supplemental discovery is released to the public.

When questioned last month about Tracy Martin's decision to withhold the phone's PIN from authorities, family attorney Benjamin Crump said, "I don't know anything about that. We're going to do anything prosecutors say we should."

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »
When questioned last month about Tracy Martin's decision to withhold the phone's PIN from authorities, family attorney Benjamin Crump said, "I don't know anything about that. We're going to do anything prosecutors say we should."
Which 'authorities' questioned Crump last month and why? Hopefully we'll learn more when the state's 9th supplemental discovery is released to the public.

I think that means an Orlando Sentinel reporter questioned Crump last month about withholding the PIN from the authorities investigating the case.

The SPD asked Tracy Martin for the PIN on March 5 (p. 17 of the May 17 release).

Mr. Martin stated he would contact his lawyer before releasing that information.

Crump:
I don't know anything about that.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »

I think that means an Orlando Sentinel reporter questioned Crump last month about withholding the PIN from the authorities investigating the case.

The SPD asked Tracy Martin for the PIN on March 5 (p. 17 of the May 17 release).

Crump:

I am not sure that Crump had been hired at that time.  I kind of thought that maybe Tracy Martin was talking about his sis-in-law.  He may really not know what was happening that early. 

IMO, of course, and as weasel-ly worded as I can get.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
I am not sure that Crump had been hired at that time.  I kind of thought that maybe Tracy Martin was talking about his sis-in-law.  He may really not know what was happening that early. 

IMO, of course, and as weasel-ly worded as I can get.

By March 5th, Crump and Jackson already hired a publicist and possibly the P.I. mentioned by Natalie Jackson.

Now Crump and Jackson needed a media strategy. On March 5, Jackson brought in Ryan Julison, a publicist who had worked with her on a number of high-profile cases.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/03/us-usa-florida-shooting-trayvon-idUSBRE8320UK20120403

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »
By March 5th, Crump and Jackson already hired a publicist and possibly the P.I. mentioned by Natalie Jackson.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/03/us-usa-florida-shooting-trayvon-idUSBRE8320UK20120403

From the same article:
Martin turned to Patricia Jones, his sister-in-law.

An attorney herself, she knew whom to call: Benjamin Crump . . . On Tuesday, February 28, Crump was at the Duval County Courthouse in Jacksonville . . . During a break in the hearing, Crump noticed messages from Tyrone Williams, another attorney he knows, and Jones. They urgently asked for his help. Soon Jones put him in touch with Tracy Martin.

"I told him to believe in the system," Crump said of that first call. "I really believed they were going to arrest Zimmerman. I said, 'He's a neighborhood watch person with a gun. Of course they are going to arrest him just for that.'" "Then 48 hours passed and they still hadn't arrested him," Crump said. "After that we just had to do what we had to do."

Forty-eight hours after the shooting would be the evening of 2/28. Maybe Crump meant 48 hours after he was contacted. That suggests Crump decided to take the case some time on 3/1 at the latest.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
From the same article:
Forty-eight hours after the shooting would be the evening of 2/28. Maybe Crump meant 48 hours after he was contacted. That suggests Crump decided to take the case some time on 3/1 at the latest.

According to Crump, he first learned of Trayvon through another lawyer while on a break at the courthouse

According to Rand, Crump received a call directly from the Martin's while eating lunch at an airport.

How did you first hear about Trayvon Martinís case?

I was sitting with Benjamin Crump at lunch waiting for a plane and we got a call from Trayvon Martinís family.

What can you discuss about the content of that call?

Can't discuss a lot, except to say that, we didnít even believe we had the facts right.  We thought that there was probably some mistake with what we were hearing because it was just so egregious, we didnít feel as though what we were being told could be accurate.

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/interview-trayvon-martin-family-attorney-jasmine-rand#ixzz2DGu2SCRp

And is Crump actually trying to claim "I don't know anything about that" in reference to the phone controversy?

Rand proves Martin's lawyers were well aware of the investigator's request for cooperation in gaining access to the phone. They took a hostile stance and tried to characterize it as inappropriate harassment.

JASMINE RAND: I mean, I think it justóit shows that the Sanford Police DepartmentóI mean, there was either corruption or just woeful ignorance on their behalf. They were calling the family, after losing their child, harassing the parents over his phone, wanting to getóyou know, get to his phone, get in his phone. And they had the phone in their possession the entire time. So, you know, there are a lot of questions that I canít answer, because they donít make sense.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/3/20/walking_while_black_florida_police_resist#transcript

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
How did you first hear about Trayvon Martinís case?

I was sitting with Benjamin Crump at lunch waiting for a plane and we got a call from Trayvon Martinís family.
Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/interview-trayvon-martin-family-attorney-jasmine-rand#ixzz2DGu2SCRp

Maybe Crump hadn't mentioned the third party call to Rand. They were in the middle of trying another case.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
I am CCPING myself because I am too lazy to retype but I would like to see what everyone thinks here.

Why didn't LE, either SPD, FDLE, or FBI ask, via search warrants, to look at any home computer that Martin had access to? Why does MOM have to go the long route by asking Twitter, MySpace, Google EMail, etc. to get the information he needs? They could limit the scope of what they were looking for so that Tracy's (etal) stuff is protected.

Same with the four phones on his account. The Prosecution apparently did NOT ask for any of this. Personally, I don't think they wanted a balanced investigation. They needed an arrest to placate what they thought might be blossoming riot potential thanks to outside "vocalists of dissent." So they circumvent MOM at every step.

Offline jupchurch

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
I think Tracy Martin had the pin number for the t-mobile account, but he didn't have the local password for the phone. He had the pin number, because the account was in his name. He didn't have the phone password, because the main reason Trayvon Martin had a password was to keep his parents from spelunking around on his phone.

I've seen local defense attorneys in Florida advise clients to password protect their phone, but, as far as I know, TM was never arrested in Florida. I'm not familiar with youth culture. Do teenagers routinely password protect their phone?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
I think Tracy Martin had the pin number for the t-mobile account, but he didn't have the local password for the phone.

Sgt. Joseph Santiago (p. 17 of the May 17 release)
On March 2, 2012 Inv. Singleton contacted a representative from T-Mobile who told her if the Sanford Police Department obtained the cell phone number and the pin number to the account they would be able to bypass the swipe code on the cell phone.

Offline jupchurch

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
If you think about it, that means that the pin number and password are different. Otherwise, the user could just unlock the phone with the pin and wouldn't need t-mobile. If just means that t-mobile won't unlock the phone without the user giving them the pin. It the police came up with a court order then t-mobile would unlock the phone. Obviously the prosecution didn't want the data on the phone bad enough to get a court order.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
If just means that t-mobile won't unlock the phone without the user giving them the pin.

It's ambiguous, depending on whether 'they' means T-Mobile or the SPD.

The pin number may be included in the records the prosecution has.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
Where is Martin's phone now? Did the FBI ever take a crack at it?

FDLE Agent John Batchelor checked out the phone (dms-7) from SPD Property And Evidence at 09:23 on 3/20/2012 (page 41 of 284) and then passed it on to fingerprint analyst Myburgh.

FDLE fingerprint analyst Myburgh received the sealed phone on 3/20 but she was ordered not to test it. She composed a letter to SPD Chief Lee, informing him she is returning the sealed phone to his agency, dated 3/20/2012. (page 119 of 184)

However, SPD Property and Evidence Chain of Custody shows no further record of dms-7 after after Batchelor checked it out on 3/20/2012.

We know that FDLE Agent Brenton performed an analysis and filed a report by 3/26/2012, but how did he get the phone? And where did it go after him? Why hasn't FDLE provided their own chain of custody?

Maybe this is one of the ďchain of custody issuesĒ West and OíMara previously alluded to.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:54:15 PM by Redbrow »

Site Meter
click
tracking