Author Topic: Trayvon Martin's Cellphone Records  (Read 32568 times)

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Trayvon Martin's Cellphone Records
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »
As long as we're talking about Trayvon's cell phone, a T-Mobile Comet, made by Samsung, is anyone familiar with that model?

I was specifically wondering if it gives an audible low battery warning, and how loudly and how often, and does whether it's in use at the time make a difference.

(My own hunk 'o junk LG Verizon phone made a funny noise today, and then did it again about 10 or 15 minutes later, and I finally figured out it was because I hadn't gotten around to hooking it up to the charger in quite some time, which is what made me think of this.)

Offline turbo6

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
The Comet was made by Huawei, not Samsung. The company seems to be regarded a bit on lower end of smart phone manufacturers. I played with my friend's Huawei running an older Android OS and it was pretty lackluster. Most reviews seem to portray the Comet as a very entry level smartphone.

I think my biggest question here, aside from what data is on the internal memory, is how did the phone die during DeeDee's call? It didn't appear to be jostled to where the back cover flew off and the battery came out - that is evident in the picture. Unless the back covered perhaps wiggled its way slightly off, enough for the battery to become a tad unseated. I could imagine if the battery was mostly depleted, became unseated and sat for a week or more before the police tried to access it - that could possibly explain was it was dead. The phone was about two years old, I would imagine the battery was as well, and not able to hold an optimal charge.

Water damage I guess is ruled out here because the police were able to access it and attempt to crack the password to no available. I suppose movement of the battery is the most plausible explanation. The battery just simply dying naturally at that very second before the confrontation could be possible, just not probable.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
sat for a week or more before the police tried to access it

Where are you getting that? SPD tried to access the phone that very night, according to Sgt. Santiago's report (p. 16 of the May 17 release).

Upon Agent Shor's arrival he told me that he could not down load any information because the cell phone battery was either very low or the was not operable because the cell phone had gotten wet because of the current weather condition (wet and rain).

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
Where are you getting that? SPD tried to access the phone that very night, according to Sgt. Santiago's report (p. 16 of the May 17 release).

Reading is fundamental and words often times have meaning. Case in point:

" I could imagine if
the battery was mostly depleted, became unseated and sat for a week or more before the police tried to access it - that could possibly explain was it was dead. The phone was about two years old, I would imagine the battery was as well, and not able to hold an optimal charge."

Turbo didn't say it did happen that way, rather "if" it happened that way that might explain it.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »
Actually I was wondering if his phone might have low-battery beeped loudly enough to have been overheard by someone else.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything, but once the thought occured I couldn't very well not wonder about it.

Offline turbo6

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Actually I was wondering if his phone might have low-battery beeped loudly enough to have been overheard by someone else.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything, but once the thought occured I couldn't very well not wonder about it.

I know all phones are different, but I've never had one personally that was distinctly loud. Even in a fairly quiet house I won't always hear my phone beeping from a room or two away.

However if Martin's battery was critically low, I would imagine he would have made some mention of it. DeeDee likely would have spoke of it  (or not, who knows) but it just seems like in a situation like that it would have came up in conversation, at least to dispel any concern to DeeDee if the connection was lost - she would at least know why.

On a side note, most of my techie cell phone loving friends, as well as most of my teenage relatives who are phone junkies all have the same thing in common...their phones are plugged in constantly when not in use. I don't necessarily know if its out of the horrendous battery drain of newer devices or just not wanting any downtime with a dead phone. But we don't know the specifics of Martin's cell habits, so we don't know.

Though, I still tend to lean towards an unseated battery that was fairly low to begin to with as the culprit for his dead phone.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
It would be interesting to know at what point that specific phone starts beeping and for how much longer it would run before running out of juice. Does it even beep? Was it still on at the time the attack occurred? According to DD, yes. Someone had to have heard it. We're only talking about a few minutes here. Surely it didn't run out of juice within the few minute window between the start of the fight (that DD says she heard) to the shot and the witnesses/police showing up. That would be freakishly good (or bad) timing. Would ping logs show exactly when the phone stopped working?

Speaking of which, are we sure it ran out of juice? I vaguely recall that water is what stopped it from working.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
It would be interesting to know at what point that specific phone starts beeping and for how much longer it would run before running out of juice. Does it even beep? Was it still on at the time the attack occurred? According to DD, yes. Someone had to have heard it. We're only talking about a few minutes here. Surely it didn't run out of juice within the few minute window between the start of the fight (that DD says she heard) to the shot and the witnesses/police showing up. That would be freakishly good (or bad) timing. Would ping logs show exactly when the phone stopped working?

Speaking of which, are we sure it ran out of juice? I vaguely recall that water is what stopped it from working.

Apparently the police tried to use a thing on it called a Cellebrite, which is a sort of cell phone "forensic hacking" device, but it didn't work, and they theorized it was low battery or water or both that interfered, but that was cops talking, not electronics engineers.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:18 AM »
I vaguely recall that water is what stopped it from working.

Apparently the police tried to use a thing on it called a Cellebrite, which is a sort of cell phone "forensic hacking" device, but it didn't work, and they theorized it was low battery or water or both that interfered, but that was cops talking, not electronics engineers.

Cited here.

AFAIK the discovery includes no conclusion about why the phone stopped working.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:48 AM »
Water damage I guess is ruled out here because the police were able to access it and attempt to crack the password to no available.

I thought that at first. On reflection, it depends on what was damaged. It could have been the battery itself. If it was just the power leads, that could be easily bypassed in the lab. A more sophisticated lab might be able to bypass even greater damage.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:38 AM »
Someone had to have heard it.

Not if it started beeping as the two men were shouting.

If Dee Dee did hear a beep, she might not have recognized its significance. She might have ignored it and forgotten it.

Surely it didn't run out of juice within the few minute window between the start of the fight (that DD says she heard) to the shot and the witnesses/police showing up.

Testing the phone wasn't the first thing the police did. First they arrested Zimmerman and tried to save Martin. When the phone was found, Sgt. Santiago called someone to bring the Cellebrite. His report doesn't say how long that took.

It would still be a remarkable coincidence. I thought so the first time I read that report.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:29:42 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »
Someone had to have heard it. We're only talking about a few minutes here. Surely it didn't run out of juice within the few minute window between the start of the fight (that DD says she heard) to the shot and the witnesses/police showing up.

I just realized you probably meant that police/witnesses would have heard the phone beeping as it lay in the grass.

I don't think that is certain. It was raining hard (except according to Dee Dee). They were talking among themselves. Their attention was engaged. No one knew Martin had a cell phone until it was found. If an occasional beep was physically audible, it could easily have passed unremarked.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
DiwataMan has an interesting article on Martin's cellphone and the Cellebrite device. He shows that the company says the device can bypass the password security that's supposedly prevented the police from accessing the information stored on the phone.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
DiwataMan has an interesting article on Martin's cellphone and the Cellebrite device. He shows that the company says the device can bypass the password security that's supposedly prevented the police from accessing the information stored on the phone.

Police reports should be more reliable than advertising claims.

One would hope.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »

They tried to use one that night, presumably to help figure out who the dead stranger was, but due to water damage or low battery or gremlins or whatever, couldn't get anywhere with it.

Once they had him indentified the next morning, that may have made a difference in what they're legally allowed to do, because they might no longer have been able to argue exigent circumstances for something where otherwise they'd need a search warrant.

Site Meter
click
tracking