Author Topic: EUREKA!  (Read 11682 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
EUREKA!
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »
I have found the street sign that Zimmerman claimed to be searching for, though he never took a step in its direction.

The street sign is mounted on top of a stop sign, which seems to customary at The Retreat at Twin Lakes.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: EUREKA!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
ISn't this diagonally on the opposite side of the complex? 

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
ISn't this diagonally on the opposite side of the complex?

No.

I think you are confused because I had to rotate the view so the sign would be visible. The top is West. North is on the right.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:35:03 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
I don't understand the point you seem so excited about. The sign's at the other end of the block from the dog path. Is there something Zimmerman said that referenced that particular sign? Is so, could you quote it so we know what you're talking about.  Also, it would be helpful to show a wider angle so the location of the sign is in context.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:38:29 PM by MJW »

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
No.

I think you are confused because I had to rotate the view so the sign would be visible. The top is West. North is on the right.

Why would rotating the picture make the sign disappear?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
Long Oak is near the south end of the complex.  I think that MJW is right.  If you follow the bend east on Twin Trees you will reach the back entrance.   Just IMO, of course.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
Did Zimmerman ever say anything about looking for a street sign?

The way I remember it, he didn't know the name of TTL, so he was going over to RVC, the name of which he did know, to get a house number to put with the street name which he already knew.

This seems to be the explanation he wishes to offer for having gotten out of the truck in the first place.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »

The way I remember it, he didn't know the name of TTL, so he was going over to RVC, the name of which he did know, to get a house number to put with the street name which he already knew.

This seems to be the explanation he wishes to offer for having gotten out of the truck in the first place.

Funny that.  I thought it was his second reason.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
The sign's at the other end of the block from the dog path.

That section of TTL is parallel to the dog walk, on the other side of the row of buildings. It's closer to the dog walk than the place Zimmerman claims to have left his truck.

From the sign itself to the southern end of the dog walk, is a walk of about 150 feet, around the southern end of the row of buildings.

Is there something Zimmerman said that referenced that particular sign?

The sign identifies Twin Trees Lane. It's close to the dog walk Martin was presumably last seen headed down, and to the back entrance Zimmerman said Martin was headed toward. Zimmerman's vehicle was pointed in the direction he would need to drive to get to where he could see it.

The sign at TTL and RVC, near the clubhouse and the main entrance, is closer to where Martin was presumably last seen. (See here and here.) It's about 450 feet, while the one at Long Oak Way is about 500 feet. But it's arguably further from the overall scene of the action, and Zimmerman would have to make a U-turn to drive back to it, assuming he was telling the truth about the direction he parked.

In any case, Zimmerman presumably knew where that street sign was. He claimed to have just driven past it.

If Zimmerman wanted to give the police an address where his truck was parked, which was also close to where he claims to have last seen Martin, he could have done it without getting out of the truck. He could have driven around the bend of TTL to where he could see the street sign at Long Oak Way. Then he could have turned around, driven back and parked in front of 1211 or 1221.

Of course this is all fantasy. The dispatcher didn't ask Zimmerman where his truck was parked until almost the end of the phone call. Zimmerman had left the truck, agreed not to follow Martin, said he wanted to meet the police, and given directions to the truck, before the dispatcher asked for the address the truck was parked. By Zimmerman's account he was on RVC by this time, having gone there looking for the address he had not yet been asked for.

Also, it would be helpful to show a wider angle so the location of the sign is in context.

It's harder to see the sign at less than maximum zoom.

How hard is it to find the intersection of Twin Trees Lane and Long Oak Way? As I am not the first to observe, the neighborhood only has three streets.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »

It's not the 'picture' that's rotated. It's the camera view.

When I first posted I said 'image'. Then I realized that was wrong, and edited the comment to replace 'image' with 'view'.

Looking north, the stop sign is edge on. I don't know if that makes the street sign on top of it literally invisible, but it makes it harder to find.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:18 AM »
Long Oak is near the south end of the complex. . . . If you follow the bend east on Twin Trees you will reach the back entrance. 

Corrrect.

I think that MJW is right.

I'm sure MJW is right about many things. I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you mean 'at the other end of the block from the dog path', that's not correct. I discussed it in my response to MJW.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »
It's not the 'picture' that's rotated. It's the camera view.

Sorry, I'm being slow. There's no reason I can't rotate the image to put north at the top.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »
That section of TTL is parallel to the dog walk, on the other side of the row of buildings. It's closer to the dog walk than the place Zimmerman claims to have left his truck.

I should have said cut-through. The path Zimmerman took from TTL to RVC.

-- A bunch of stuff, the  point of which I can't quite discern. --

You claimed it was "the street sign that Zimmerman claimed to be searching for." So far, you've convinced me it's a sign. eureka

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 04:28:02 AM »

2/26-1, 12:32-40
Zimmerman: So I got out of my car to look for a street sign and to see if I could see where he cut through so that I could tell the police [crosstalk].

2-26W (p. 16)
The dispatcher once again asked me for my exact location. I could not remember the name of the street so I got out of my car to look for a street sign.

2/26-2, 4:16-36
Singleton: So you're trying to figure out what street you're on. OK. So you see him go here. And then, so what do you do, to-?

Zimmerman: I got out of my vehicle to look at this house's address, and see if there was a sign there.

Singleton: OK.

Zimmerman: And there wasn't.

Singleton: OK.

Zimmerman: So I walked through the dog walk to see if there was a sign here, or an address that I could make out easier.

2/27R, 4:31-41
Zimmerman: And again they asked me where he went and what direction he went in. And I said "I don't know." And then I thought to get out and look for a street sign.

Sgt. Smith: Right.

Zimmerman: So I got out of my car, and I started walking.

2-27/R, 5:00-23
Zimmerman: I was [unintelligible] phone with non-emergency, and I started walking-

Sgt. Smith: OK.

Zimmerman: - down this way. And because I didn't see a street sign here, but I knew if I went straight through, that that's Retreat View Circle, and I could give him an address, because he said "Just give me the address of the house you're in front of." And there's no address, because these are the back of the houses.

2/27V, 28:40-29:16, 6:47:17-53
Zimmerman: And I got out of my car to look for a street sign, so I could at least tell them what street I was on. And, there was no street sign, and I couldn't make out the house in front of me because there was a big pickup truck there. So, I knew if I, I saw him walk through the cut-through and then make a right, behind other houses. I knew if I went straight, and I didn't cut through where he went, that was the street that I lived on, Retreat View Circle. And I knew if I got to that street, I could tell them the exact house number, and the street that I was at.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »
I also fail to see any significance regarding the distant sign. Zimmerman is pretty clear that he is looking for a valid address ( street and house number) . It seems he took a reasonable route to find that information. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:44:29 AM by Lousy1 »

Site Meter
click
tracking