Author Topic: The Osterman Book and Dr. Phil  (Read 7185 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
The Osterman Book and Dr. Phil
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
I think it's a really bad idea for the Ostermans to be releasing a book and going on Dr. Phil. I explain why here.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: The Osterman Book and Dr. Phil
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
Some time ago I did a round-up of the discrepancies between Zimmerman's SPD statements, and the FDLE summary of Osterman's statement to them.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
Some time ago I did a round-up of the discrepancies between Zimmerman's SPD statements, and the FDLE summary of Osterman's statement to them.

It's not the statements of Osterman to the FDLE that are the issue. The FDLE report  is a summary of his interview and not admissible (it would only come up if Osterman testified differently at trial and they called the agent who interviewed Osterman to impeach him, not Zimmerman, with the prior inconsistent statement. 

But what Osterman writes in his book and says publicly about what George told him could potentially be used to impeach George at trial if George testifies differently from what  Osterman says in the book or on TV that he told him.   All the state has to do is ask George on cross-examination if he ever said X. If George denies saying X, they call Osterman to the stand and ask if George ever told him X. If Osterman says yes, it's impeachment evidence.

So the statements that could hurt Zimmerman are those Osterman directly attributes to Zimmerman in his book or in media interviews.  I think those would be  the statements to compare with Zimmerman's statements to police.

Treehouse has the supposed excerpt of the chapter 1 and will be publishing a new one each day.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
I read the first part of the excerpt.   That was enough for me. 

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
Here is Dr. Phil's press release on the show.

Alicia Martin,  TM's stepmother, will also be on.

On Sept 14, the TM's mother, father and brother will appear.

From the previews, the Ostermans will get sandbagged. No surprise there.

Offline turbo6

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:15:16 AM »
From the previews, the Ostermans will get sandbagged. No surprise there.

I would be surprised if the crowd doesn't get all Jerry Springer with them. They probably aren't going to get the warmest reception for TV appearances.

Dr. Phil seems to grill them on GZ's self defense claim, solely if the criteria is based only upon imminent death. Apparently he hasn't looked over FL law yet.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
I would be surprised if the crowd doesn't get all Jerry Springer with them. They probably aren't going to get the warmest reception for TV appearances.

Dr. Phil seems to grill them on GZ's self defense claim, solely if the criteria is based only upon imminent death. Apparently he hasn't looked over FL law yet.

In the second clip, Phil makes such a silly point that it is beneath me discussing it.  As to the first clip: Fear of imminent death is the cornerstone of the relevant portions of Fl 776, and applies even if Zimmerman was the original provoker, so I think Zimmerman's defense should be based on that.  The best evidence of it is the screams, not Zimmerman's injuries.  As long it is reasonable that it is Zimmerman screaming, there is reasonable doubt as to Zimmerman's guilt.

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:08:22 AM »
The best evidence of it is the screams, not Zimmerman's injuries. 

I wasn't aware that the screams , injuries, witness statements and debris field et al  needed to be weighed separately rather than in totality.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
I wasn't aware that the screams , injuries, witness statements and debris field et al  needed to be weighed separately rather than in totality.

Good lawyers emphasize their pounds rather than their ounces.   ;)

Offline DarkSkiesRbest

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »
I agree that the book and interview cannot help GZ in any way and should never have been done. The duplicity of Dr. Phil suggesting carrying everywhere is a bad idea when his armed personal bodyguard was feet away made me sick. If only someone could have asked him right then "If I were to punch you, knock you down, straddle you and start slamming your head do you think your bodyguard might shoot me?"

Offline Lousy1

• Rate Post +6/-30
  • Fetch my hammer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:57 AM »
Good lawyers emphasize their pounds rather than their ounces.   ;)

Good lawyers paint pictures using every color on the palette. 

For some reason you seem to think that any photo that misses Zimmerman's injuries somehow negates  evidence that chronicle the damage that was inflicted on him. The rational seems a bit bizarre.

Offline turbo6

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
In the second clip, Phil makes such a silly point that it is beneath me discussing it.  As to the first clip: Fear of imminent death is the cornerstone of the relevant portions of Fl 776, and applies even if Zimmerman was the original provoker, so I think Zimmerman's defense should be based on that.  The best evidence of it is the screams, not Zimmerman's injuries.  As long it is reasonable that it is Zimmerman screaming, there is reasonable doubt as to Zimmerman's guilt.

Fear of death is the main point, but great bodily harm is important as well. Dr. Phil seems to only justify self defense as a life or death thing but many one sided altercations like this can leave the victim with a permanent life long impediment.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Defense Team Tweet

Osterman's book and TV spot, although well-intentioned, are ill-timed and done without input and NOT approved by the defense.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
I watched the interview.

I wish Dr. Phil had played the recording of the police call, to show that Osterman misrepresented what was said by both Zimmerman and the dispatcher.

Dr. Phil's timeline had Martin heading out to the store at 6:40, ten minutes after he left it.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
I watched the interview.

I wish Dr. Phil had played the recording of the police call, to show that Osterman misrepresented what was said by both Zimmerman and the dispatcher.

Dr. Phil's timeline had Martin heading out to the store at 6:40, ten minutes after he left it.
That whole timeline was a farce. What a train wreck. With friends like Osterman...

Site Meter
click
tracking