Author Topic: How the Case Might Be Ha˝dled in Other Countries  (Read 4930 times)

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
How the Case Might Be Ha˝dled in Other Countries
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
England, Germany, South Africa, China, Canada discussed here

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: How the Case Might Be Ha˝dled in Other Countries
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:15:14 AM »
But, after widespread uproar, a fresh investigation saw him charged with second-degree murder.

This is completely false. There was no 'fresh investigation'. It was an ongoing investigation that was never closed.

The author and participants are grossly misinformed and their speculations are worthless.

Offline Rumpole

• Rate Post +0/-0
    • Random Topics
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:50 AM »
In countries where the mere mention of a firearm involved in a crime causes palpitations, if there was a SERIOUS attempt to solicit reactions to an equivalent situation..... perhaps the scenario should have been "translated" into one where a person attacked and beaten and in fear of their life, found a rock or brick and grabbed it (as the assailant was reaching for it as well) and managed to fend off their attacker with single (fatal) blow to the attacker's head.
I would imagine THAT would be seen as simple self defence... as we have in the Zimmerman case.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:42:44 AM by Rumpole »

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:53 AM »
Who cares how the case would be handled in other countries, especially considering that, given the variance of laws--it can't be translated.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
This is completely false. There was no 'fresh investigation'. It was an ongoing investigation that was never closed.

The author and participants are grossly misinformed and their speculations are worthless.

I agree with you.  The reason I posted the link was that I think the topic is important and I hadn't seen another article about it.  I hope, as the case proceeds, more and better articles on this will appear.  If you look at this Wikipedia article, Zimmerman certainly would have a valid self defense claim in most countries.  He would get into trouble for carrying a concealed weapon, however.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
I agree with you.  The reason I posted the link was that I think the topic is important and I hadn't seen another article about it.  I hope, as the case proceeds, more and better articles on this will appear.  If you look at this Wikipedia article, Zimmerman certainly would have a valid self defense claim in most countries.  He would get into trouble for carrying a concealed weapon, however.

Again: who cares? He was carrying his firearm legally. He complied with the law. I'm willing to wager if concealed carry were illegal he wouldn't have been carrying (and would be dead or severely injured at this point).

So why keep harping on that?

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
Again: who cares? He was carrying his firearm legally. He complied with the law. I'm willing to wager if concealed carry were illegal he wouldn't have been carrying (and would be dead or severely injured at this point).

So why keep harping on that?

Apparently you care or you wouldn't be here complaining about other people being interested.   ;D
Here is a serious discussion of human rights and gun control.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Apparently you care or you wouldn't be here complaining about other people being interested.   ;D
Here is a serious discussion of human rights and gun control.

Why don't you discuss it at MSNBC?  Jeralyn opposed this when you and Tchoupi tried this a couple of times in the past.  I have no idea why you insist on bringing it back up on a defense oriented site.  Not to mention that you have placed it in the  "No Discussion" part of the forum.

It isn't relevant to this case.  The charges filed were filed in Florida and the last time I checked that state hadn't been annexed by Canada, England, France or wherever.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
Why don't you discuss it at MSNBC?  Jeralyn opposed this when you and Tchoupi tried this a couple of times in the past.  I have no idea why you insist on bringing it back up on a defense oriented site.  Not to mention that you have placed it in the  "No Discussion" part of the forum.

It isn't relevant to this case.  The charges filed were filed in Florida and the last time I checked that state hadn't been annexed by Canada, England, France or wherever.

??? Deb, take a deep breath, look over what you wrote and the rest of the thread and think.  I posted this on a section that I thought was links only.  Others here wanted to discuss the article so I, in a modest way, joined in a bit.  The discussion with Tchoupi was on a thread dealing with George Zimmerman as a witness and was far OT but it ended quickly since it was clear Tchoupi wasn't knowledgeable about the subject.  Your complaint that since this is a defense oriented site, comparative law doesn't belong here is a total non sequitur.   Actually, I have pointed out a number of times that Corey's indictment wouldn't be legal in just about every country whose laws I have studied.  AFAIK, Jeralyn has not banned the subject from the main site or forums as long as it is not off topic to the thread where it is posted.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
IIRC she said it had no place here as all that mattered was Florida law. Deb's right.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
It's not relevant. I moved it from the "no discussion" section because it is not case news.

I'll leave it open here, but if you delve into a conversation about gun control instead of this case, I will lock and probabl delete the whole thread.

George Zimmerman is being tried in Florida. If you want to discuss the law in Indiana or France,  please do it on another site. And leave your politics at the door here.

Site Meter
click
tracking