Author Topic: Chief Myers' memo critizing SPD Public Information Officer  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Chief Myers' memo critizing SPD Public Information Officer
« on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Via the Orlando Sentinel

Sanford police chief: PIO could have done better job during Trayvon Martin investigation

just-released memo from Sanford's interim police chief spells out why he re-assigned Sgt. David Morgenstern, who served as spokesman during the Trayvon Martin homicide investigation: Morgenstern doesn't have the skills for the job.

Interim Chief Richard Myers wrote the memo Aug. 15 because Morgenstern had continued to press him for permission to moonlight as a media relations coach.

Myers gave his permission, after explaining that Morgenstern needed to understand that his reputation for media work is not good.

Morgenstern has a "blind spot" about his abilities as public information officer and the misperception that he's "done an outstanding job," Myers wrote.

Like Det. Serino, Morgenstern was recently "promoted" from PIO to patrol duty. Myers is taking applicants with a media background for the position.

Seemingly contrary to public records laws, Myers ordered Morgenstern to keep the memo secret.

You are to treat this memo as Private and Confidential; you have the only printed copy and are directed to keep this for your eyes only
The original memo can be found here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:31:30 PM by Cylinder »

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Chief Myers' memo critizing SPD Public Information Officer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
It's probably also worth mentioning that Sgt. Morgenstern's early meida comments as PIO on this case supported the self defense conclusion.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
It's probably also worth mentioning that Sgt. Morgenstern's early media comments as PIO on this case supported the self defense conclusion.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I thought that Serino got "promoted" after Gutmann leaked that he was a source to Nancy G.  He was the one that wanted the manslaughter almost from the beginning.  That was his reward.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I thought that Serino got "promoted" after Gutmann leaked that he was a source to Nancy G.  He was the one that wanted the manslaughter almost from the beginning.  That was his reward.

It is not so clear what Serino's views were or whether they were constantly shifting.  He also told Tracey Martin, early on, that Zimmerman's story checked out.  His request for an indictment for "Negligent Manslaughter" might just have been a CYA effort since he might have anticipated what was going to happen.  I think that plenty of books will be engendered from this case and I have a hunch a ghost writer has already signed a contract with Serino.

Offline Nermal

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
Morgenstern who is also friends with Mary Cutcher's brother on Facebook.. just sayin.

Site Meter
click
tracking