Author Topic: From The Miami Herald  (Read 2690 times)

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
From The Miami Herald
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
BUSINESSES CASH IN ON TRAYVON, INC.

An iconic photograph of a young Trayvon Martin in his Bulldogs football uniform, staring stone-faced into the camera, has been published in print and online around the world.

The Optimist Club team photographer, Lucricia Woodside of North Miami, owns the copyright to the picture and never authorized its use. Now she is a member of a growing number of entrepreneurs, artists and even some opportunists who have found ways to cash in on a new cottage industry.

Call it Trayvon Inc....

The Fulton-Martin group is displeased. 

The parents were the ones who provided the pictures to the media, Crump said, and he suggested that they were unpleasantly surprised at the photographer’s ownership claim. Trayvon’s parents “have not tried to make money off this, and don’t want to see anyone else do it either,” he said.

If they are "unpleasantly surprised,"  does that mean that they, being Ground Zero for distribution of the football photo to the media, have been served with a "cease and desist?"  And a bill?

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: From The Miami Herald
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »
If Martin's familiy hadn't paid the photographer, they wouldn't have had the picture.  So, the photographer already got paid.

Now she's just rent-seeking.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:28 AM »
If Martin's familiy hadn't paid the photographer, they wouldn't have had the picture.  So, the photographer already got paid.

Now she's just rent-seeking.

I don't think that is quite true.  In school photographs, there is a fee that covers processing and includes the fee for the photographer.  Parents also sign a release that gives the rights to the photographer to use the photo as needed.  Doing this from memory of the old days.   I do remember having to turn in the release along with cash.

I agree that she is "rent-seeking" but I think she may well be within her legal rights.   If you look at the full size image, Photos "R" Us is in the lower left corner.  I think that Tracy Martin is the one that released the picture along with family snaps.  At the least, he is credited for the picture, edited to remove the proprietary name (by whom, IDK),  that was picked up elsewhere.  (H-P for example)

IANAL. 

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
It all depends on the contract.  ITs very typical of photographers to copyright their material.  They generally sell photographs, but retain the rights to the images for reproduction or marketing purposes.   If the Martins sold the use of the photo with the story, then the photographer is likely owed some sort of royalty fee from them.  I guess its also possible the photographer could show that media outlets profited off the use of the image and could seek fees from them as well.

I don't think I ever knew this for sure, just assumed it, but this makes it clear that it was TM's parents supplying the 5 year old photo of the 12 year old TM to the media.  I wonder if any of those media outlets ever bothered asking whether it was a recent photo?  It certainly helped shape the early narrative that a defenseless young boy was chased down and shot by GZ.  Not sure anyone would have bought it had the photo of the 17 year old TM been used.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
I can understand the photographer retaining the negatives and getting paid again a month or 3 later when the parents decide they want an extra set of prints of their little quarterback or ballerina  for great  Aunt Ethel in whose will they're hoping to feature prominently.

But whether a particular picture of a now dead child appears or does not appear in the various news media should be the decision of the parents, and for the photographer to try to squeeze a few more bucks out of what was one of dozens of routine shots that day comes across as trying to cash in on someone else's tragedy.

Offline jeanmarc8

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
From the Miami Herald 12/26/2012

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/26/v-fullstory/3156895/parents-of-trayvon-martin-george.html

Thanks for the link.

After a series of burglaries at the Retreat at Twin Lakes neighborhood, Zimmerman did what he had done several times before when he spotted black men he did not recognize.

Zimmerman called three times to report black men that he didn't personally recognize. On two occasions he said they matched the descriptions of burglary suspects. On a fourth occasion, the earlier one concerning 1460 Retreat View Circle, he did recognize the man as someone he had seen in the neighborhood before, 'on trash days, going around picking up trash.'

The wording suggests that being 'black men he did not recognize' was reason enough for Zimmerman to call in a report. This is an ugly insinuation, for which no evidence is presented. It is inconsistent with Zimmerman's statement that he had seen the 1460 suspect before, since Zimmerman did not report him the first time he saw him.

And, in a move that is likely to play a big role in the prosecution of his case, Zimmerman also got out of his car. The dispatcher advised against it.

This has been known to be wrong since the recording of Zimmerman's police call was released. A 'journalist' who still can't get this right has no credibility.

For their activism, Trayvon’s parents were skewered by right-wing bloggers, who tried to embarrass them by revealing personal information and photos.

No evidence is presented for the claim about the motives of the bloggers.

On the plus side, the article identifies Dee Dee as the 'girl Trayvon was talking to on the phone in the minutes leading up to his death'. It doesn't repeat Crump's unconfirmed claim that she was Martin's 'girlfriend'.

Site Meter
click
tracking