Author Topic: Media Responds to State's Motion to Seal Subpoena Requests  (Read 2222 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Media Responds to State's Motion to Seal Subpoena Requests
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
The response is fine, but pretty generic, in my opinion. It doesn't specially address what I consider to be a significant weakness with the state's motion, which is that the state offers no legal justification for sealing the information. Instead, it simply accuses the  defense of going on a "fishing expedition" in a "high profile" case. That doesn't come remotely close to what Florida case law requires to justify sealing normally public court records. It's really not even an argument.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:44:26 PM by MJW »

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Media Responds to State's Motion to Seal Subpoena Requests
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
It sounds to me like the State just doesn't want the public to know what might be revealed about Trayvon and/or learn how weak their case is. Also, the State's only chance is to get this to trial with a poisoned jury pool. If exculpatory evidence gets published then they have no chance. I think the State is doing its best to hold back a number of things that are exculpatory. I hope that bites them in the A$$.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Media Responds to State's Motion to Seal Subpoena Requests
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »
Judge Nelson will continue in camera review but unlike Lester, she will not allow the state or defense to be present in chambers. The request will be made, documents produced to be examined by Judge Nelson alone in her chamber and the ruling announced in open court.

Site Meter
click
tracking