Author Topic: Oct. 19 Hearing on Discovery  (Read 16901 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Re: Oct. 19 Hearing on Discovery
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2012, 10:01:24 PM »
Hearing video with no commentary

Part 1
Part 2

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
Team Crump pre-hearing press conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9KcIjEJfPo

I'm still looking for O'Mara's post-hearing press conference. The only source so far is that annoying stateoftheinternet's version.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
Does he talk during it? Why can't someone just post the hearing without their thoughts?

No, he doesn't talk during the video. He has said he will add annotations (which are visual, like cartoon bubbles), but the annotations can be disabled with a simple mouse-click if you so choose.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:18 AM »
No, he doesn't talk during the video. He has said he will add annotations (which are visual, like cartoon bubbles), but the annotations can be disabled with a simple mouse-click if you so choose.

Those bubbles are excellent, very informative.  I hope Jeralyn makes some videos like that.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »
Those bubbles are excellent, very informative. 

I second the recommendation. Mr. Mortimer's comments are informative, interesting, and often quite funny.

Offline jeanmarc8

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
 From the video lead in:

Published on Oct 22, 2012 by Michael Mortimer

The ENTIRE Oct. 19 hearing on the Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin case. The significance of this hearing cannot be understated.

I guess that is an understatement as well.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »
From the video lead in:

Published on Oct 22, 2012 by Michael Mortimer

The ENTIRE Oct. 19 hearing on the Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin case. The significance of this hearing cannot be understated.

I was perplexed by that until I read further down. It seems Mortimer meant to say the opposite.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

I'm having second thoughts about Mortimer.

1:10:47
Everyone knows the DeeDee recording is the crux of the State's case. . . . And the State has NOT put the person on the witness list who is required to authenticate the tape, witness Crump.

Dee Dee's testimony may or may not be 'the crux of the State's case'. The recording is unlikely to be prosecution evidence at all. I think it will very likely be impeachment evidence for the defense, and authenticating it will be their problem.

In most courts, this act alone by the prosecution would get the case dismissed . . .

Really?

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
I have just posted a 3,000 plus word piece on TalkLeft about the court hearing as relates to Dee Dee's interview with Crump ,Gutman's role and the issue raised by BDLR as to whether Dee Dee was the twitterer and whether  the twitterer was a juvenile.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »

Dee Dee's testimony may or may not be 'the crux of the State's case'. The recording is unlikely to be prosecution evidence at all. I think it will very likely be impeachment evidence for the defense, and authenticating it will be their problem.
I don't understand that.  How can the state object to the defense using evidence the state has produced?

I am trying to envision the state putting on their case.  First the NEN call gets authenticated by the dispatcher and it is played.  Then some police and EMTs are called who were at the crime scene as well as Serino and Singleton.  Just how much of Zimmerman's statements can be mentioned and played?  I assume they have to play the interviews without commenting on them.  Then Zimmerman's friends get called to contradict parts of Zimmerman's interviews.  Then DeeDee gives her testimony (if the state is crazy/desperate enough to call her).  Then maybe Sybrina Fulton testifies who is screaming.  If that is all they present in their case in chief, would the defense be justified in asking for dismissal of the Murder 2 charges soon as they finish?  Could the state say, "OK, let's switch to manslaughter."?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »
How can the state object to the defense using evidence the state has produced?

On any legal grounds.

The rules of discovery require the prosecution to offer the defense everything they have. Much of it will not be admissible for one reason or another.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
So the defense will have to call BDLR to testify he made the recording and that the person he interviewed is the one on the stand?  By the way, I think DeeDee is only necessary for a Murder 2 case, not manslaughter.  She is the only evidence that Zimmerman pursued and confronted Martin.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
So the defense will have to call BDLR to testify he made the recording and that the person he interviewed is the one on the stand?

In theory it could come to that, in which case I think de la Rionda would have to recuse himself as prosecutor. But he could avoid that by stipulating to it as a prosecutor instead of testifying as a witness. And all of that is contingent on Dee Dee herself denying that it's her voice on the recording, which doesn't seem likely.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
I have just posted a 3,000 plus word piece on TalkLeft about the court hearing as relates to Dee Dee's interview with Crump ,Gutman's role and the issue raised by BDLR as to whether Dee Dee was the twitterer and whether  the twitterer was a juvenile.

I wish you could email this and a few of the other threads where you have had great arguments that counteract the State's evidence to MOM.  So far you are their best unpaid labor!

I don't understand why Gutman and ABC were not topics of discussion during the hearing.  My thought the whole time was "If Gutman has a clear audio, why not just subpoena that one?"

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
I don't understand why Gutman and ABC were not topics of discussion during the hearing.  My thought the whole time was "If Gutman has a clear audio, why not just subpoena that one?"

My guess is they are giving the prosecution and Crump every chance to do the right thing before going around them.

I would also guess they have had quiet contact with ABC and warned them not to destroy whatever recordings they have.

Site Meter
click
tracking