Author Topic: Defendant's Supplemental Witness List Oct 24 2012  (Read 7883 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Defendant's Supplemental Witness List Oct 24 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
I wonder why Erwin is on the list. Is O'Mara going to try to get the CVSA admitted?

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
Doesn't it look bad for the State when the police and investigating officers are witnesses for the Defense?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-defense-witnesses-20121024,0,4087099.story

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
I am confused.  Is the hearing on Friday about the defense's request that the prosecution not contact the cops on the list until they have been deposed by the defense?  It might be better to give the prosecution more rope.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »
Angela Corey praised the SPD during her big press conference.

@21:40 Corey speaking about SPD: They were a tremendous help to us and had already done a lot of witness interviews. They did what the police do. Anytime you have a shooting scene and there’s a person whose death is caused, the police launch a thorough and intensive investigation. That was done here. But before the investigation could be finished, there was a lot of outcry about this case and then it changed course. And we got appointed to take over the investigation.

http://vimeo.com/40233988

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
Looking at that list, and just IMO, I think he is locking them in for the eventual April or May Self-Defense Immunity hearing first.  At least that was my first reaction.

But IAsoooooNAL.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Doesn't it look bad for the State when the police and investigating officers are witnesses for the Defense?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think it's particulary significant. As far as I know, the defense can put anyone they want on their witness list without committing to actually calling them as witnesses.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
Judging from O'Mara's comments, I thought he expects to get from these witnesses evidence of prosecutoral misconduct, sanctions, and perhaps a dismissal of charges.  Aren't many of the witnesses also on the prosecution list?  I think he plans to use them for other things than evidence in the case.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think it's particulary significant. As far as I know, the defense can put anyone they want on their witness list without committing to actually calling them as witnesses.

IANAL, but from what I understand normally law enforcement testimony would support the charges against a defendant. They would give testimony about what they discovered during an investigation that supported the charges and showed guilt. But according to the emergency motion they would likely give testimony that GZ shouldn't have been charged due to lack of evidence. It's like being a team leader and the guys on your team switching sides. Makes you look bad.

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/Emergency%20Motion%20for%20Protective%20Order.pdf

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
IANAL, but from what I understand normally law enforcement testimony would support the charges against a defendant.  ... Makes you look bad.

Perhaps, but as far as I know, even if the police witnesses ended up having nothing helpful to the defense, they could still be put on the defense witness list with no risk of consequences. So having them on the list doesn't prove much to me.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »

Usually. In this case, I expect the media campaign against the SPD to be renewed, with greater virulence.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
Usually. In this case, I expect the media campaign against the SPD to be renewed, with greater virulence.

The early media campaign against the SPD was fueled by speculation and unfounded allegations of racial discrimination leading to an investigation by the DOJ. Corey admitted "A whole slew of DOJ lawyers are helping us" and dozens of FBI agents were called in to investigate the alleged discrimination and they all came up empty handed.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »
The early media campaign against the SPD was fueled by speculation and unfounded allegations of racial discrimination leading to an investigation by the DOJ. Corey admitted "A whole slew of DOJ lawyers are helping us" and dozens of FBI agents were called in to investigate the alleged discrimination and they all came up empty handed.

The FBI investigated Zimmerman, to determine if there was evidence to charge him with a federal offense. I'm not aware of any DOJ/FBI investigation of the Sanford Police Department.

If the SPD had been investigated and cleared by the DOJ or FBI, media outlets like MSNBC and ABC could ignore that, as they have ignored other facts in the case.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
The FBI investigated Zimmerman, to determine if there was evidence to charge him with a federal offense. I'm not aware of any DOJ/FBI investigation of the Sanford Police Department.

If the SPD had been investigated and cleared by the DOJ or FBI, media outlets like MSNBC and ABC could ignore that, as they have ignored other facts in the case.

It has been widely reported but there is no official document from DOJ or FBI if that is what you mean. I'm not sure they issue such documents to the public.

"The Trayvon Martin case has sparked another investigation, this time of the Sanford Police Department itself"
"Among other complaints, some citizens have complained that African Americans are treated differently by police than whites are in Sanford."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/28/1078649/-Department-of-Justice-says-it-will-investigate-Sanford-Police-Dept

(CBS News) The shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., has sparked a Justice Department investigation of that city's police force. Authorities will be looking for possible civil rights violations in other cases.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57415638/doj-investigating-17-police-sheriff-departments/

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
It has been widely reported but there is no official document from DOJ or FBI if that is what you mean. I'm not sure they issue such documents to the public.

Then how do you know they 'came up empty handed'?

I read those reports when they were published, over six months ago. (I don't mean the Kos post, but the news report it links to.) If you read them carefully, you will see that none of them actually support that the investigation was happening, as opposed to the possibility being discussed.

Since I've heard nothing more recent, I doubt this investigation ever happened.

Site Meter
click
tracking