Author Topic: Gag Order Hearing Oct 26  (Read 12534 times)

Offline cboldt

• Rate Post +0/-0

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Gag Order Hearing Oct 26
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
Is the judge kidding?  :o  She cites ways of getting an impartial jury: change of venue, bigger jury pool (venire), individual voir dire, sternly instructing jury to decide case only on the evidence (she forgot to say evidence presented in court  ::)).  Has the Supreme Court abolished blue ribbon juries?  I remember reading, I think in one of Friedman's books on the history of American law that in the early days of the republic, most juries were blue ribbon since the lawyers' arguments were full of classical references which would only make sense to very well educated people.  I have Dershowitz's concern that in this case, jurors might be afraid of the Black Panthers if they don't convict.  I know that Lenny Bruce's obscenity trial was in front of a three judge panel.  I wonder how that was permitted in the USA.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I know that Lenny Bruce's obscenity trial was in front of a three judge panel. I wonder how that was permitted in the USA.

Bruce must have waived his Sixth Amendment right to a jury. Why three judges instead of one I have no idea.

Bruce was tried for obscenity more than once. What we're discussing is the last one, in New York.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »
October 26 hearing, 16:57-17:14
De la Rionda: Your Honor, I guess it's obvious, the defense is aware, the FBI has been doing an investigation separate from this case. And, that is their investigation. We can't get involved in that, in other words. Their, that deals with security matters, not just regarding this specific case, but also other matters in terms of this community.

This sounds like an investigation into people and groups who might get violent if the case doesn't go their way. If that includes Zimmerman or some of his associates, would it be discoverable?

Site Meter
click
tracking