Author Topic: New Registrations  (Read 1763 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
New Registrations
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
Update: Due to the incessant automated spam registrations, I've disabled self-registration. If you would like to register and be able to comment, send me an email with your desired user name and I will register you and send you your password. You can then log in, change your password and choose your other settings. There is a "captcha" type requirement for the first few comments. After that, commenting is automatic.

The forums have been hit by spambot registrations at the rate of 50 a day for the past week. Their registrations don't go through because new registrations require approval, but I'm tired of the automatic emails I get asking for approval.

Since not much is happening in the case, I've disabled new registrations for the time being. I will open them again when there is news in the case. I can also register someone manually, so if there is someone who wants to join, they can email me with their desired user name and email address.

This should not affect any members that are already registered.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:36:04 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
Re: New Registrations Temporarily Disabled
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Since there is news in the case, I've reopened registration. For now I've set it to "requires administrative approval". If there aren't a lot of auto spam registration attempts, I'll change it to allowing email activation.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
Re: New Registrations Temporarily Disabled
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »
There were 17 spam registrations since I opened it up this morning. I'm going to disable it again now.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
Re: New Registrations
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
With the news today of GZ's lawsuit against NBC, I'm going to re-open registrations to the forums. New users will have to be approved so I can root out the auto-spammers, which by the way, all come from places like Russia, Romania, and Turkey.

Update: I'm getting 50 or more spam registrations a day. I've disabled registration, but if you would like to register and be able to comment, send me an email with your desired user name and I will register you and send you your password. You can then log in, change your password and choose your other settings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:53:53 AM by TalkLeft »

Site Meter
click
tracking