Author Topic: Serino hired Baez to represent him  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
Serino hired Baez to represent him
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Just when you thought this case could not get more bizarre and surreal, Serino hires Baez. It is pretty odd for a lead investigator to hire a lawyer, let alone such a controversial and notorious lawyer like Baez.

He wants his own counsel hes intimidated, said Baez spokesman Michael Wright. It may not be a friendly deposition.

Intimidated by the defense, prosecution or both?

An FBI report released this summer showed Serino told agents that he was pressured by African-American officers to file charges.

Is he intimidated by fellow members of SPD as well?

Days after the interviews were made public, Serino, a 15-year department veteran, was transferred to patrol duty on the overnight shift.

Did he actually request the transfer or not?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/19/3105467/detective-in-george-zimmerman.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:48:07 PM by Redbrow »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Serino hired Baez to represent him
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
It is pretty odd for a lead investigator to hire a lawyer, let alone such a controversial and notorious lawyer like Baez.

Baez tried a high-profile case with an unpopular client, and he won. Seems like a good choice to me.

Is he 'notorious' for some other reason?

Offline Meni

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
I think Serino would be 'intimidated' by both the Defense and the Prosecution. The Prosecution: the FBI statement that he felt pressured by other African American officers to pursue an arrest, and by the Defense: other investigators indicating there was no cause for arrest.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with signs from O'Mara that he is not focused just on exonerating Zimmerman, but also holding others accountable for any role in a wrongful prosecution.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
Baez tried a high-profile case with an unpopular client, and he won. Seems like a good choice to me.

Is he 'notorious' for some other reason?

Always the contrarian. What other reason does he need? Of course the lawyer for one of the most notorious defendants in one of the most notorious cases of the decade, is notorious. Whether deserved or not, it's not my judgement, it is firmly established in popular culture. It was one of the most discussed trials of the social media age and spawned many dedicated forums and blogs, not unlike this case. O'Mara has already achieved a level of notoriety on several Trayvon Martin fan sites and blogs.

And as you recall, he was just mentioned in the most recent hearing and his response to the court is now part of the record. He acted properly in correcting BdlR's misstatements. However, many of the Zimmerman haters sharply criticized him for it, because of his notoriety and also because he now made a fool of their beloved prosecutor.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:51:34 AM »
And of course Baez is a criminal defense lawyer. I was not aware that Serino had been charged with a crime.

Usually people seek a criminal defense lawyer when they have been charged with a crime, or believe they may soon be.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
He acted properly in correcting BdlR's misstatements. However, many of the Zimmerman haters sharply criticized him for it

I didn't know that. Do you have any links?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:43:30 AM »
And of course Baez is a criminal defense lawyer.

He seems to be branching out.

Publicist Michael Wright said Monday Jose Baez is investigating a possible civil lawsuit over responsibility for the shootings, including security measures at the theater where the shootings occurred. Baez is representing Shirley Wygal, mother of Rebecca Wingo, who died in the shootings.

Baez has also represented at least one LEO, Carlos Alves. It was a criminal matter, but in Serino's place I might consider that experience a plus.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
Leatherman is discredited in my eyes.  Jeralyn worked with him way back when, IIRC.  Let me look....

1998-

The new members of NACDL's Board of Directors are Hal Arenstein, Cincinnati, OH; Stephen Glassroth, Montgomery, AL; Carmen Hernandez, Washington, D.C.; and John Zwerling, Alexandria, VA. The re-elected Directors are Frank Jackson, Dallas, TX; Helen Leiner, Fairfax, VA; Jeralyn Merritt, Denver; Marvin Miller, Alexandria, VA; Daniel Monnat, Wichita, KS; Dennis Roberts, Oakland, CA; David S. Rudolph, Chapel Hill, NC; and Martin Weinberg, Boston, MA. Affiliate organization representatives at the meeting elected Frederick D. Leatherman, Jr., Seattle, WA, and William P. Bryson, Anchorage, AK, Affiliate Board Members.

Link to NACDL

If I get in big trouble, please call her...immediately!  LOL!

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Bill Lee, the police chief who lost his job following the investigation, told the Sentinel police never believed they had enough evidence to charge Zimmerman, but had Serino fill out the probable cause affidavit because without the document, the State Attorney's Office would not take over the investigation.

This is the first time I have read that Serino's Capias was written at Lee's instigation.

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »

This is the first time I have read that Serino's Capias was written at Lee's instigation.

That struck me, too.  I remember the Sentinel having a sit down with Serino and Lee, both were iscussing the lack of evidence to file charges, but I don't remember Cheif Lee saying anything like that.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

Bill Lee, the police chief who lost his job following the investigation, told the Sentinel police never believed they had enough evidence to charge Zimmerman, but had Serino fill out the probable cause affidavit because without the document, the State Attorney's Office would not take over the investigation.

I've seen the claim before, but this is the first time I've seen it sourced directly to Lee.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
The theory of Serino's capias request makes no sense. I've always suspected it was a CYA at the direction of his superiors.

Also from the Sentinel.
Serino has said he was gathering evidence for a manslaughter charge when the police department turned the case over to the State Attorney's Office.

Confirming that the SPD turned the case over, rather than it being taken from them as O'Mara claimed.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »
The theory of Serino's capias request makes no sense. I've always suspected it was a CYA at the direction of his superiors.

Also from the Sentinel.
Confirming that the SPD turned the case over, rather than it being taken from them as O'Mara claimed.

It confirms the case was turned over before SPD finished their investigation. It does not confirm who ordered the case to be turned over to the State Attorney's Office.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27:08 PM »
not to be nitpicky...but Norm Wolfinger is the State Attorney Office rep in Seminole County.  It was taken from him and given to Corey after that.  Jacksonville is in Duval County.

Site Meter
click
tracking