State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Zimmerman: Police Investigation

Serino hired Baez to represent him

(1/8) > >>

Redbrow:
Just when you thought this case could not get more bizarre and surreal, Serino hires Baez. It is pretty odd for a lead investigator to hire a lawyer, let alone such a controversial and notorious lawyer like Baez.

--- Quote ---He wants his own counsel hes intimidated, said Baez spokesman Michael Wright. It may not be a friendly deposition.

--- End quote ---

Intimidated by the defense, prosecution or both?

--- Quote ---An FBI report released this summer showed Serino told agents that he was pressured by African-American officers to file charges.

--- End quote ---

Is he intimidated by fellow members of SPD as well?

--- Quote ---Days after the interviews were made public, Serino, a 15-year department veteran, was transferred to patrol duty on the overnight shift.

--- End quote ---

Did he actually request the transfer or not?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/19/3105467/detective-in-george-zimmerman.html

nomatter_nevermind:

--- Quote from: Redbrow on November 19, 2012, 09:46:31 PM ---It is pretty odd for a lead investigator to hire a lawyer, let alone such a controversial and notorious lawyer like Baez.

--- End quote ---

Baez tried a high-profile case with an unpopular client, and he won. Seems like a good choice to me.

Is he 'notorious' for some other reason?

Meni:
I think Serino would be 'intimidated' by both the Defense and the Prosecution. The Prosecution: the FBI statement that he felt pressured by other African American officers to pursue an arrest, and by the Defense: other investigators indicating there was no cause for arrest.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with signs from O'Mara that he is not focused just on exonerating Zimmerman, but also holding others accountable for any role in a wrongful prosecution.

Redbrow:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on November 19, 2012, 11:06:53 PM ---Baez tried a high-profile case with an unpopular client, and he won. Seems like a good choice to me.

Is he 'notorious' for some other reason?

--- End quote ---

Always the contrarian. What other reason does he need? Of course the lawyer for one of the most notorious defendants in one of the most notorious cases of the decade, is notorious. Whether deserved or not, it's not my judgement, it is firmly established in popular culture. It was one of the most discussed trials of the social media age and spawned many dedicated forums and blogs, not unlike this case. O'Mara has already achieved a level of notoriety on several Trayvon Martin fan sites and blogs.

And as you recall, he was just mentioned in the most recent hearing and his response to the court is now part of the record. He acted properly in correcting BdlR's misstatements. However, many of the Zimmerman haters sharply criticized him for it, because of his notoriety and also because he now made a fool of their beloved prosecutor.

Redbrow:
And of course Baez is a criminal defense lawyer. I was not aware that Serino had been charged with a crime.

Usually people seek a criminal defense lawyer when they have been charged with a crime, or believe they may soon be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version