Author Topic: Serino hired Baez to represent him  (Read 8163 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Serino hired Baez to represent him
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
It does not confirm who ordered the case to be turned over to the State Attorney's Office.

Who did O'Mara say ordered it?

He didn't. He used the passive voice.

2:05:44-6:09
And I do think that there are a lot of pressures placed upon all the witnesses, and all the parties in this case. Certainly, all of the Sanford Police Department witnesses, who have gone from being reviled, as racists, to having their, you know, their, their, their chief fired, not fired, fired again, case taken from them, Serino.

Maybe O'Mara meant that certain of the 'Sanford Police Department witnesses', including Serino, had the case taken from them by their SPD superiors.

That would be consistent with the quote attributed to Bill Lee.
Bill Lee, the police chief who lost his job following the investigation, told the Sentinel police never believed they had enough evidence to charge Zimmerman, but had Serino fill out the probable cause affidavit because without the document, the State Attorney's Office would not take over the investigation.

Offline Redbrow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
It would be nice if the Sentinel quoted Lee's exact words and mentioned when that statement was made. Did Lee make that statement to the Sentinel today or during a previous exclusive interview, like back in March? I'm surprised Lee does not have an attorney telling him to not make statements to the media.

Two weeks ago, during an exclusive interview with the Sentinel, Lee disclosed certain details of the investigation and during that session, attended by Serino and others, Serino said his investigation turned up no reliable evidence that cast doubt on Zimmerman's account that he had acted in self-defense.

"The best evidence we have is the testimony of George Zimmerman, and he says the decedent was the primary aggressor in the whole event," Serino told the Sentinel March 16. "Everything I have is adding up to what he says."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-02/news/os-trayvon-martin-federal-review-justice-letter-20120402_1_chief-bill-lee-federal-review-federal-agency

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
Did Lee make that statement to the Sentinel today or during a previous exclusive interview, like back in March?

I would think he made it recently. If the Sentinel had it earlier I think they would have published it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
not to be nitpicky...but Norm Wolfinger is the State Attorney Office rep in Seminole County.  It was taken from him and given to Corey after that.  Jacksonville is in Duval County.

That's a good point. We usually use SAO to mean Corey's office. It's a good idea to specify when we are talking about Wolfinger.

When the governor appointed Corey as special prosecutor, it was Wolfinger's office that lost the case, not the SPD. I think there has been some confusion on that point.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
It would be nice if the Sentinel quoted Lee's exact words and mentioned when that statement was made. Did Lee make that statement to the Sentinel today or during a previous exclusive interview, like back in March? I'm surprised Lee does not have an attorney telling him to not make statements to the media.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-02/news/os-trayvon-martin-federal-review-justice-letter-20120402_1_chief-bill-lee-federal-review-federal-agency

I tweeted the question to Rene Stutzman.  Time will tell if she answers.  I have been curious since I read that this morning...

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
I don't know if TalkLeft want's links to Leatherman's site

There are some links to that site at the blog.

I once copied one of those links here. It was deleted, with objections to its specific content rather than Leatherman's blog.

It would be convenient to have a posted list of forbidden sites.

I'll just cut and paste a few.

Thank you.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »
Leatherman is discredited in my eyes

In my opinion, Leatherman's blog is only useful for observing how low an anti-Zimmerman fanatic will sink.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 03:41:41 AM »
Jose Baez of Casey Anthony Fame to Represent Lead Investigator in George Zimmerman's Murder Trial

From ABC:

Chris Serino, a former Sanford, Fla., police major crimes investigator, ignited controversy when he filed an arrest affidavit weeks after the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, despite insufficient evidence to make a case.

As noted in another, extremely conservative forum by kathyca, this sentence really does say it all.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:48 AM »
Anybody here know whether Serino's Capias makes him liable for criminal or civil action for malicious prosecution?  I would guess that admitting there is no case but filing one anyway can get you into trouble.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
Serino can't prosecute anyone but he can recommend/request. It's up to the prosecutor to decided if the request has merit. If Serino made the request in "bad faith" I think the most that would happen is he would be disciplined internally. The prosecutor is the one ultimately responsible for reviewing the evidence and making the decision. IMO and IANAL.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
Serino can't prosecute anyone but he can recommend/request. It's up to the prosecutor to decided if the request has merit. If Serino made the request in "bad faith" I think the most that would happen is he would be disciplined internally. The prosecutor is the one ultimately responsible for reviewing the evidence and making the decision. IMO and IANAL.

Methinks he has been disciplined, working as a graveyard patrol officer, even though he didn't lose his pay grade, it is still a demotion.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »

So is he wasting money hiring Baez?  Or maybe Baez is doing it pro bono.  What else could Serino have done to make him engage the services of a lawyer besides filing the Capias?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »
So is he wasting money hiring Baez?  Or maybe Baez is doing it pro bono.  What else could Serino have done to make him engage the services of a lawyer besides filing the Capias?

I tried Robles for an answer to the Pro Bono question.  She couldn't answer since neither would comment publicly or respond to emails. 

I tried Stutzman to find out exactly when Chief Lee made that statement but never received an answer.  I didn't really expect one.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

Maybe I'm misremembering or not understanding, but didn't Serino request that the prosecutor issue a capias (arrest order)? He didn't actually file one himself AFAIK.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 05:48:18 AM »
Leatherman is discredited in my eyes.  Jeralyn worked with him way back when, IIRC.  Let me look....

1998-

Link to NACDL

If I get in big trouble, please call her...immediately!  LOL!

I'm not sure what Leatherman is doing in this thead about Serino and Baez, but how does an association with Jeralyn discredit him?

Site Meter
click
tracking