Author Topic: Zimmerman Lawyers Blast Crump and Assoc.  (Read 2452 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Zimmerman Lawyers Blast Crump and Assoc.
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
A post on O'Mara's Zimmerman case page today:

George has been the target of a coordinated public relations attack designed to create the false impression that George shot Trayvon Martin because of racial bias, instead of self-defense -- a public relations campaign perpetrated with the intent to manipulate the media and prejudice the citizens of this country against George through misinformation and emotional appeals. If a voice is raised with concern over profiteering, it should be tempered by two premises. Firstly, George and his family have been devastated by this event and left broke and displaced from their homes. That is a tragedy that should not be visited upon anyone who has yet to be convicted of a crime. It is the ultimate injustice when it is perpetrated on an innocent man.

Secondly, if profiteering is a concern, that analysis should begin with those who crafted the misinformation blitz and racially charged rhetoric, shouted with reckless disregard for the truth, the result of which has been significant financial gain, not ruin. We speak not of the Martin family, who have suffered the tragedy of losing a son; we speak of the family's handlers and attorneys.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Zimmerman Lawyers Blast Crump and Assoc.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:15 AM »
Good for them. I think O'Mara should have been a bit more proactive out of the gate, but that's my layperson opinion. Certainly it was in Zimmerman's best interest to keep the prosecution local - a trial in federal court prefaced on civil unrest would have been disaster for Zimmerman. I aslo wonder if O'Mara feels like Zimmerman is on a bit of a looser lead regarding public proclamations with Judge Nelson or in light of the order denying the second gag motion.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Certainly it was in Zimmerman's best interest to keep the prosecution local - a trial in federal court prefaced on civil unrest would have been disaster for Zimmerman.

What does 'prefaced on civil unrest' mean?

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
What does 'prefaced on civil unrest' mean?

As a hypothetical, protests that escalate to violence (e.g. from shooting up unoccupied SPD patrol vehicles to sniping SPD officers) that prompt more direct involvement from DOJ.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
The Feds didn't need civil unrest to get involved. They needed evidence of racial motivation, which they looked for and didn't find.

ETA: I should clarify that civil unrest is not only not needed, it's of no help. If other people instigated civil unrest, that would have no legal effect on Zimmerman's case, and in particular would not be grounds for federal prosecution of Zimmerman.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:35:48 AM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
The Feds didn't need civil unrest to get involved. They needed evidence of racial motivation, which they looked for and didn't find.

ETA: I should clarify that civil unrest is not only not needed, it's of no help. If other people instigated civil unrest, that would have no legal effect on Zimmerman's case, and in particular would not be grounds for federal prosecution of Zimmerman.

We're probably getting too far into the weeds here.

It is my layperson opinion that it was the civil unrest and racially charged coverage, comments and actions that prompted involvement by federal authorities. It's not my claim that unrest is required or even helpful to the Zimmerman prosecution - though things like civil unrest could be used as an element of federal jurisdiction (18 USC 249).

It is my opinion that the spectre of civil unrest invited federal scrutiny from a public perception (read: political) standpoint and that more violent and racially charged (as referenced in the statement by Zimmerman's legal team) unrest would lead to more federal scrutiny in this case.

I further speculate that this - along with other issues I discussed - might have restrained the Zimmerman team from making pointed statements when it first became involved in the case and that with that threat somewhat subdued, it frees his legal team from a strategic standpoint to take a more proactive stance.

The First Rule of Holes.

ETA: There's also the possibility that MOM was working under an idealized notion that the irresponsible injection of race into this case would somehow right itself. That was my first impression but as his media strategy progresses I am less inclined toward this conclusion. Either it was a deliberate strategy on his part or he learned from his mistaken ideal quickly enough to recover beautifully. All, of course, in my lay opinion.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:31:55 AM by Cylinder »

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
I'm more interested in this part:

George has expressed a desire since the beginning of this ordeal to thank those who have supported him, not just financially, but also those who have offered their kind words and prayers, and he has wanted to send Thank You Cards for some time. The defense team has had reservations about allowing it -- partly because we anticipated it would be interpreted in this way. Now the time has come to stop acting like George is the person portrayed by those who have manipulated the facts and the media, and to be true to the innocent person George is.

What's changed, in their view?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
It's not my claim that unrest is required or even helpful to the Zimmerman prosecution - though things like civil unrest could be used as an element of federal jurisdiction (18 USC 249).

18 USC § 249

No prosecution of any offense described in this subsection may be undertaken by the United States, except under the certification in writing of the Attorney General, or a designee, that—
(A) the State does not have jurisdiction;
(B) the State has requested that the Federal Government assume jurisdiction;
(C) the verdict or sentence obtained pursuant to State charges left demonstratively unvindicated the Federal interest in eradicating bias-motivated violence; or
(D) a prosecution by the United States is in the public interest and necessary to secure substantial justice.

Is this what you are talking about? Civil unrest would make it more likely the AG would find provision C or D to be satisfied?

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
What's changed, in their view?

Rather, what we hope motivates people is the ever increasingly undeniable conclusion that George is simply not guilty.

Offline annoyedbeyond

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:56 AM »

Yes, lovely. Try not being pedantic for once--if possible.

George has been not guilty since the night it happened. Why the sudden change in attitude, the sudden openness from the defense?

Site Meter
click
tracking