State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Zimmerman Legal Team

Zimmerman Lawyers Blast Crump and Assoc.

(1/2) > >>

TalkLeft:
A post on O'Mara's Zimmerman case page today:

--- Quote ---George has been the target of a coordinated public relations attack designed to create the false impression that George shot Trayvon Martin because of racial bias, instead of self-defense -- a public relations campaign perpetrated with the intent to manipulate the media and prejudice the citizens of this country against George through misinformation and emotional appeals. If a voice is raised with concern over profiteering, it should be tempered by two premises. Firstly, George and his family have been devastated by this event and left broke and displaced from their homes. That is a tragedy that should not be visited upon anyone who has yet to be convicted of a crime. It is the ultimate injustice when it is perpetrated on an innocent man.

Secondly, if profiteering is a concern, that analysis should begin with those who crafted the misinformation blitz and racially charged rhetoric, shouted with reckless disregard for the truth, the result of which has been significant financial gain, not ruin. We speak not of the Martin family, who have suffered the tragedy of losing a son; we speak of the family's handlers and attorneys.
--- End quote ---

Cylinder:
Good for them. I think O'Mara should have been a bit more proactive out of the gate, but that's my layperson opinion. Certainly it was in Zimmerman's best interest to keep the prosecution local - a trial in federal court prefaced on civil unrest would have been disaster for Zimmerman. I aslo wonder if O'Mara feels like Zimmerman is on a bit of a looser lead regarding public proclamations with Judge Nelson or in light of the order denying the second gag motion.

nomatter_nevermind:

--- Quote from: Cylinder on November 30, 2012, 05:32:15 AM --- Certainly it was in Zimmerman's best interest to keep the prosecution local - a trial in federal court prefaced on civil unrest would have been disaster for Zimmerman.

--- End quote ---

What does 'prefaced on civil unrest' mean?

Cylinder:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on November 30, 2012, 06:04:34 AM ---What does 'prefaced on civil unrest' mean?
--- End quote ---

As a hypothetical, protests that escalate to violence (e.g. from shooting up unoccupied SPD patrol vehicles to sniping SPD officers) that prompt more direct involvement from DOJ.

nomatter_nevermind:
The Feds didn't need civil unrest to get involved. They needed evidence of racial motivation, which they looked for and didn't find.

ETA: I should clarify that civil unrest is not only not needed, it's of no help. If other people instigated civil unrest, that would have no legal effect on Zimmerman's case, and in particular would not be grounds for federal prosecution of Zimmerman.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version