Author Topic: Zimmerman Lawsuit Against NBC  (Read 5143 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Zimmerman Lawsuit Against NBC
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
George Zimmerman has filed his defamation lawsuit against NBC and three reporters for their false editing of his non-emergency call to police to report Trayvon Martin. The reporters are Ron Allen, Lilia Lucianno and Jeff Burnside. Luciano and Burnside were since fired. The complaint is here and a website for the case is here.

On Thursday, December 6, 2012, George Zimmerman filed a legal complaint against NBCUniversal Media, LLC and three individuals who were employed by NBCUniversal Media, LLC, Inc. during the time relevant to the complaint: Ron Allen, Lilia Rodriguez Luciano, and Jeff Burnside. The 24-page complaint alleges NBC News saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create the myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain. The complaint, filed in Seminole County, demands a trial by jury, and demands damages sufficient to invoke the jurisdiction of the Circuit Court.

The complaint was filed in the Seminole County Circuit Court. His lawyers are Mark O'Mara and The Beasley Law Firm in Philadelphia.

Feel free to start your own threads to discuss aspects of the case.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:48:24 PM by TalkLeft »

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Re: Zimmerman Lawsuit Against NBC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
The Beasley Firm, LLC, located in Philadelphia, PA.
The Beasley Firm attorneys are:
Jim Beasley, Jr.
Dion Rassais
Maxwell Kennerly

Offline AghastInFL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
Previously NMNM wrote:
Paragraph 47 of the complaint repeats an allegation Zimmerman first made in his Sean Hannity interview, that before he called the police his suspicions were aroused by Martin walking 'between the houses'.

Paragraph 46 adds a new allegation, that before Zimmerman called the police he saw Martin 'walking through the neighborhood, including backyards'.

both statement might be expressed in a manner new to the record, but are correct physically IMO it as merely a verbose way of saying he entered the Retreat through one of the two known shortcuts (between the buildings and through the backyards).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:10:00 PM by AghastInFL »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »
Previously NMNM wrote:
Paragraph 47 of the complaint repeats an allegation Zimmerman first made in his Sean Hannity interview, that before he called the police his suspicions were aroused by Martin walking 'between the houses'.

Paragraph 46 adds a new allegation, that before Zimmerman called the police he saw Martin 'walking through the neighborhood, including backyards'.

both statement might be expressed in a manner new to the record, but are correct physically IMO it as merely a verbose way of saying he entered the Retreat through one of the two known shortcuts (between the buildings and through the backyards).

Paragraphs 46 and 47 are on p. 9 of the complaint. Sorry I forgot to include that in the earlier comment.

The statements aren't just about what Martin did. They are about what Zimmerman saw, and when he saw it, and why Zimmerman thought Martin was suspicious and decided to report him.

If the statements refer to Martin entering the neighborhood through a shortcut, that would contradict Zimmerman's statements to SPD. In those statements, Zimmerman said four times that he first saw Martin in front of a house.

As an aside, I don't know of more than one 'known shortcut'. Press reports quote residents as saying that the gap between 1460 and 1510 RVC is so used. Some people, myself included, have speculated that 1350/1410 might be an alternative, but I don't know of any evidence for that.

I don't see any reason to think that the statements in the complaint refer to Martin entering the neighborhood.

In my opinion, the evidence slightly favors Martin entering through the front gate rather than a shortcut.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »
No Matter?
In my opinion, the evidence slightly favors Martin entering through the front gate rather than a shortcut.

Are you referring to time constraints?  Other than that what evidence?  Dee Dee doesn't mention TM coming through the gate.  NEN call doesn't mention the gate.  Other than Crump and Tracy Martin to the press, where else is the gate entry mentioned?  TIA.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
Are you referring to time constraints?  Other than that what evidence?  Dee Dee doesn't mention TM coming through the gate.  NEN call doesn't mention the gate.  Other than Crump and Tracy Martin to the press, where else is the gate entry mentioned?  TIA.

Response on Timelines and Routes thread.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
The complaint has a transcript of the police call that doesn't include Zimmerman saying 'He's at the clubhouse' or 'He's at the clubhouse now' (p. 10).

Later in the same transcript (pp. 10-11) is this:
Dispatcher: Okay, just let me know if he does anything.
Zimmerman: Just get an officer over here.

Zimmerman started speaking before the dispatcher finished saying 'let me know if he does anything'.

This is how I transcribe those lines:
Dispatcher: OK. Just let me know if he does anything.
Zimmerman: [Crosstalk] get an officer over here.

I've tried several times to make out the beginning of the sentence. I've never been able to.

The Zimmerman team transcriber can tell that the sentence begins with the word 'Just', but misses 'He's at the clubhouse', which for me is much easier to hear.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
From the transcript version I have been using. Sean the dispatcher is in blue:

0:04:38 - Hey, weve had some break-ins in my neighborhood and theres a real suspicious guy. Uh, its
Retreat View Circle. Um, the best address I can give you is one-eleven Retreat View Circle. This guy
looks like hes up to no good or hes on drugs, or something. Its raining and hes just walking around,
looking about.
0:26:68 Okay, and this guy, is he white, black or Hispanic?
0:28:68 - He looks black.
0:30:28 - Did you see what he was wearing?
0:32:40 Yeah, mm, a dark hoodie, like a gray hoodie and either jeans or sweat pants and white tennis
shoes. Hes here now, hes just staring [crosstalk: oh, he's just walking around the area] looking at all the houses [okay]. And now he just staring at me.
0:48:74 - Okay and you say it's one-one-one-one Retreat View or one-eleven?
0:52:53- That's the that's the clubhouse [crosstalk: that's the clubhouse, do you know what the] he's at the clubhouse now.
0:55:82 - He's near the clubhouse right now?
0:58:01- Yeah, now he's coming towards me [possible door lock].
0:59:61 - Okay.
1:03:11- He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male [power window switch].
1:09:68 - Okay, how old would you say he is
1:10:92 - He's got a button on his shirt late teens.
1:13:76 - Late teens? Okay.
1:15:52 - Mm-hmm [possible door lock switch again]. Something's wrong with him. Yep, he's coming to
check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is.
1:27:41- Okay. Just let me know if he does anything, okay? [crosstalk: Please just get an officer over here].
1:29:89 - Yeah, we've got him on the way. Just let me know if this guy does anything else.
1:34:25- Okay [turns in seat]. These assholes, they always get away. Yep [power window switch or gear
shift and four footsteps/fade].

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
From the transcript version I have been using. Sean the dispatcher is in blue:

0:04:38 - Hey, weve had some break-ins in my neighborhood and theres a real suspicious guy. Uh, its
Retreat View Circle. Um, the best address I can give you is one-eleven Retreat View Circle. This guy
looks like hes up to no good or hes on drugs, or something. Its raining and hes just walking around,
looking about.
0:26:68 Okay, and this guy, is he white, black or Hispanic?
0:28:68 - He looks black.
0:30:28 - Did you see what he was wearing?
0:32:40 Yeah, mm, a dark hoodie, like a gray hoodie and either jeans or sweat pants and white tennis
shoes. Hes here now, hes just staring [crosstalk: oh, he's just walking around the area] looking at all the houses [okay]. And now he just staring at me.
0:48:74 - Okay and you say it's one-one-one-one Retreat View or one-eleven?
0:52:53- That's the that's the clubhouse [crosstalk: that's the clubhouse, do you know what the] he's at the clubhouse now.
0:55:82 - He's near the clubhouse right now?
0:58:01- Yeah, now he's coming towards me [possible door lock].
0:59:61 - Okay.
1:03:11- He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male [power window switch].
1:09:68 - Okay, how old would you say he is
1:10:92 - He's got a button on his shirt late teens.
1:13:76 - Late teens? Okay.
1:15:52 - Mm-hmm [possible door lock switch again]. Something's wrong with him. Yep, he's coming to
check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is.
1:27:41- Okay. Just let me know if he does anything, okay? [crosstalk: Please just get an officer over here].
1:29:89 - Yeah, we've got him on the way. Just let me know if this guy does anything else.
1:34:25- Okay [turns in seat]. These assholes, they always get away. Yep [power window switch or gear
shift and four footsteps/fade].

I just told Ricky about Lee's transcript on another thread.  And here it is!!!  You are great.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
NBC filed a response on 2/20.

Not only are they asking to stay the lawsuit until after the murder trial has been completed, but a large part of their defense seems to be "But other news outlets did it, too!":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/03/07/nbcs-zimmerman-response-other-media-outlets-highlighted-race/

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
NBC filed a response on 2/20.

Not only are they asking to stay the lawsuit until after the murder trial has been completed, but a large part of their defense seems to be "But other news outlets did it, too!":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/03/07/nbcs-zimmerman-response-other-media-outlets-highlighted-race/

Well, isn't that cute?

McLaughlin plays a snippet of the call intact but out of context (He's black being a confirmation, made possible by closer proximity, of his previous tentative identification of Martin's race, in answer to the dispatcher's question), and that's supposed to make it alright for NBC to have gotten out the old EDITall splicing block to create an even more distorted impression of what he actually said?

The reason you edit something is to make it different from what it was.

When you start with the truth and then edit, what you wind up with is something different from the truth.

Site Meter
click
tracking