Author Topic: Why I'm Siung NBC  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
Why I'm Siung NBC
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
George Zimmerman's statement via www.therealgeorgezimmerman.com:

On the night of February 26, 2012, after enduring a prolonged physical attack from Trayvon Martin, screaming for help countless times and receiving no help, and all the while in fear for my life, I shot Trayvon Martin in self-defense. I did not shoot to take his life, I shot to save my own.

However, in the days and weeks following the shooting a story was promoted that I am a racist and a murderer. These untruths spread through the community, the government, and the nation, amplified by a media frenzy seeking ratings over truth. This was no more apparent than when NBC repeatedly edited the recording of a call I made, intentionally misrepresenting me as a racist. Unfortunately, their plan worked, truth suffered that day, and my family and I have suffered every day since. That is why I am filing a lawsuit against NBC. The details of the complaint can be found on a website created by my legal team: www.gzvnbc.com.

What happened that night was a tragedy: a tragedy that NBC exploited, creating an opportunity for profit. I am holding NBC accountable for its actions. If NBC had not spread lies and falsifications about me, this lawsuit would not exist. This lawsuit is a product of NBC's intentional distortion of facts. I do not know, because of my situation, how I will be able to provide for my wife and myself in the future, and so I expect NBC to be held responsible. The unjustified public persecution of me because of NBC's actions is wrong. It shouldn't have happened to me, and it shouldn't happen to anyone...

I hope MOM parsed this part of the statement carefully:

The night of the shooting I was taken to the Sanford police station and was read my Miranda rights. Aware I had the right to remain silent, I chose to tell investigators what happened.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Why I'm Siung NBC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »
I hope MOM parsed this part of the statement carefully:

What is your point?

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
What is your point?

That Zimmerman is asserting that he was given a Miranda warning, that he understood the implications of it, and that he chose to make a voluntary statement. I'm guessing that's not something a defendant's attorney would recommend posting on the internet on the eve of pre-trial motions unless they were quite certain none of the statements would/could be challenged.

Certainly MOM has acknowledged that Zimmerman cooperated with police but this statement is a bit different in its specicifity and source.

All, of course, in my layperson opinion.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
That Zimmerman is asserting that he was given a Miranda warning, that he understood the implications of it, and that he chose to make a voluntary statement.

There is a recording of Singleton reading Miranda, and Zimmerman saying he understood it, and Zimmerman saying he wanted to talk. Zimmerman also signed a statement to the same effect (p. 14 of this document set).

Singleton reminded Zimmerman of his Miranda rights after the first break, and Zimmerman said again that he wanted to talk.

I don't think there was ever much chance of getting Zimmerman's statements excluded on a claim he wasn't properly Mirandized. The only angle I can think of would be to argue that Zimmerman was incompetent.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
Zimmerman signed Miranda waivers. He was advised several times, the night of the shooting and the day of the walkthrough.  He also wrote a handwritten statement. The waivers are in the discovery. O'Mara does not intend to challenge these waivers or his statements.

Their position is he told the truth, they are not going to move to suppress the oral or written statements. O'Mara wants these statements in, to show he cooperated and thought he had done nothing wrong.

Zimmerman also signed a consent to search his cell phone on March 22. Whether O'Mara will challenge that is unknown.

Site Meter
click
tracking