Author Topic: Changes in Serino's Affidavit -- 10th Supplemental Discovery  (Read 3664 times)

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
Changes in Serino's Affidavit -- 10th Supplemental Discovery
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
The Orlando Sentinel has seen the list of discovery items for the 10th supplemental discovery -- the changed versions of  Serino's affidavit for issuance of a capias.  It reports Serino changed the affidavit four times in five hours.

Serino made all those revisions to the report summarizing his findings during one five-hour stretch on March 13, according to a newly-released evidence list.

In the first two drafts, according to Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda, Serino wrote that he had probable cause to recommend a second-degree murder charge. Then, over the next hour, he changed the report twice more and in his final version wrote that the evidence supported the lesser charge.

One of Serino's supervisors, Sanford police Capt. Bob O'Connor, said in a July 3 interview that everyone in Serino's chain of command agreed with the investigator's conclusion. Serino's direct supervisor, then-Sgt. Randy Smith, also signed the final version.

Each version was turned over to defense attorneys Tuesday, although they have not yet been made public. That should happen in the next few weeks.

In court I think BDLR said there were emails between O'Connor, Smith and Serino in this batch of items from Jose Baez as well.  The e-mails should prove interesting, and I suspect they are the reason Baez told BDLR the changed drafts  could be considered  excuplatory under Brady.

Offline cashmere

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Changes in Serino's Affidavit -- 10th Supplemental Discovery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
Thanks for this Jeralyn.

I am amazed at how much I have learned since reading your site (not a lawyer).  Before I would have been clueless to a statement such as "exculpatory under Brady".

I am still so clueless about things, but I am learning.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
If Serino was confident enough that GZ was guilty of a crime that he signed an affidavit, why hadn't he arrested GZ already? Surely he could have at that point, right? If true, to me that tends to support the belief that Serino didn't actually think GZ committed a crime. That would support that he only filed because he was under pressure to do so. I know it's generally accepted (around here) that he did so under pressure and wanting to pass the buck to SAO, but it proves to me at least that he believed GZ acted in self-defense. I wonder if he was asked in his deposition why he didn't arrest GZ.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
If Serino was confident enough that GZ was guilty of a crime that he signed an affidavit, why hadn't he arrested GZ already? Surely he could have at that point, right? If true, to me that tends to support the belief that Serino didn't actually think GZ committed a crime. That would support that he only filed because he was under pressure to do so. I know it's generally accepted (around here) that he did so under pressure and wanting to pass the buck to SAO, but it proves to me at least that he believed GZ acted in self-defense. I wonder if he was asked in his deposition why he didn't arrest GZ.

Somewhere in either the 184 page PDF or the 284 page one from back when I just the other day tripped over something that said Serino listened to the 911 calls and thought it was Zimmerman hollering.

Am I the only one who didn't hear about this the first time around?

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
Somewhere in either the 184 page PDF or the 284 page one from back when I just the other day tripped over something that said Serino listened to the 911 calls and thought it was Zimmerman hollering.

IIRC, Serino said the same thing in several places.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »

Possibly, excepting those who confine themselves to anti-Zimmerman echo chambers.

It's in every draft of Serino's report, including the final one which was in the first evidence release (184).

Serino played the 911 recording for Zimmerman, after the NEN recording.

2/19-3, 16:42-17:19
Serino: Let's play this one.

[W-11's 911 call.]

[Recording off.]

Serino: You hear that voice in the background?

Zimmerman: No, sir.

[911 call. Talk continues over recording.]

Serino: That's you.

[Recording continues.]

Serino: Are you hearing yourself?

Zimmerman: It doesn't even sound like me.

Serino: It's you.

Audio

ETA: I don't know that Serino ever explained his reasons for this conclusion.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:32:15 PM by nomatter_nevermind »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 02:37:41 AM »
Somewhere in either the 184 page PDF

39/184

Site Meter
click
tracking