Author Topic: Zimmerman's Two Flashlights  (Read 11959 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Zimmerman's Two Flashlights
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
I've always thought it was "They’ll see my truck." I think this is the first time I've known anyone to suggest a variant there.

If you Google "'that's my truck' zimmerman" you'll get lots of hits. How many derive from the same transcript, I don't know.

I've analyzed the statement "------ my truck" in Audacity. I created an image showing the waveform, pitch, and spectrogram. For the word(s) in question, I see a single word with a single vowel. (Let me know if there's a problem viewing the image. It's from my Flickr account, so I'm not sure if others can view it like I can.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:36:26 PM by MJW »

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
If you Google "'that's my truck' zimmerman" you'll get lots of hits. How many derive from the same transcript, I don't know.

I checked a few of them, and so far they all trace to Mother Jones.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
I checked a few of them, and so far they all trace to Mother Jones.

Well, then I can say something I don't say too often: I agree with Mother Jones.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
Why would Zimmerman tell the dispatcher that the keys were in the ignition? Why not tell them how much gas he had left in the tank? That would be about as helpful to the police in locating his vehicle.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
I've always said George said "the keys are in my truck". I have no idea why he would say that and I don't think he said it to the call taker. It sounds to me like he's just thinking outloud. The key chain with the mini flashlight looks like an extra remote lock/panic button. I thought for a very long time that all it was was just a remote lock/panic button and not an actual key until I looked it up.

http://www.amazon.com/2007-Honda-Ridgeline-Remote-Combo/dp/B006841GMS

(p. 108, 118 of the pdf)
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/JC1212/JC1212OM.pdf

I can not explain why the actual metal ignition key is not seen in the crime scene photos. She takes a photo of the key chain then looks like she moves the key chain a bit, places the marker and takes another photo. It's the one with the object marker where it would seem the ignition key would be visible and it does seem like something is there but it's translucent like. Regardless, it's just not definitive from what we have. The police reports just says: One (1) Honda brand name key and one small silver colored flashlight key chain.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:51:11 PM by DiwataMan »

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
I've always said George said "the keys are in my truck". I have no idea why he would say that and I don't think he said it to the call taker. It sounds to me like he's just thinking outloud. The key chain with the mini flashlight looks like an extra remote lock/panic button. I thought for a very long time that all it was was just a remote lock/panic button and not an actual key until I looked it up.

(p. 108, 118 of the pdf)

I can not explain why the actual metal ignition key is not seen in the crime scene photos. She takes a photo of the key chain then looks like she moves the key chain a bit, places the marker and takes another photo. It's the one with the object marker where it would seem the ignition key would be visible and it does seem like something is there but it's translucent like. Regardless, it's just not definitive from what we have. The police reports just says: One (1) Honda brand name key and one small silver colored flashlight key chain.

Okay I just realized there can be some confusion with what I'm saying. I wanted to add this as well since they are so close together and what I believe are part of the same thought. This is what I hear:

"...and then they go past the mailboxes.[sounds like he interrupts himself here] I still see my truck."

When George says "I still see my truck" it sounds to me like he is just thinking out loud just like with what he says next.

At the same time the call taker says "okay what address are you parked in front of?" George says what I think is "the keys are in my truck."

Now the first one does not sound to me like "you'll see my truck" as if telling the call taker. It almost sounds like George says it with a bit of concern, as if he's pondering why he can still see his truck like a light is on.

So if we put the two together and add a little creativity like we are in George's head it makes even more sense. George(looking down Twin Trees from the sidewalk explaining the way to get to where he is): "Dang, I still see my truck light on but it should be off. Oh snap, the keys are in my truck, I hope no one steals it."

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »
It just occurred to me why George may have seen a light on in his truck. If he had that key chain in his hand messing around with it, banging it while banging the big flashlight around he may have inadvertently hit the unlock button on his remote.

From p. 118 of the pdf
When you press the UNLOCK button, the front and rear individual map lights, depending on the interior light control switch position, will come on (see page 142). If you do not open any door, the lights stay on for about 30 seconds, then go out. If you relock the doors and the In-Bed Trunk with the remote transmitter before 30 seconds have elapsed, the lights will go off immediately.

from page 150 of the pdf (142 of the manual)
The individual map lights and the rear console light come on when any door is opened, or when the remote transmitter or the key is used to unlock the doors. When the doors are closed, each individual map light can be turned on and off by pushing the lens. The lights fade out about 30 seconds after all the doors are closed. With any door left open and the key removed from the ignition switch, the lights stay on about 3 minutes, then go out.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »
So if we put the two together and add a little creativity like we are in George's head it makes even more sense. George(looking down Twin Trees from the sidewalk explaining the way to get to where he is): "Dang, I still see my truck light on but it should be off. Oh snap, the keys are in my truck, I hope no one steals it."

I don't get the same impression.  He seems too nonchalant in his tone and inflection for me to think the statements were out of concern at least on the mention of seeing his truck.  The second part which I think is a statement about the keys is too difficult to tell with the cross talk, but I imagine if GZ had concern about the keys in it and someone stealing it, he would have went and retrieved them right away. 

Thats why I first posted in this thread asking if it had been determined whether the key taken into evidence was his truck key.  IF his revelation was that "oh gosh, I left my keys in the truck" and started heading back to retrieve them then went to RVC to get an address (because Sean asked what address he was parked in front of, prompting the hunt for an address again), it would account for all of the missing time.  I don't put much stock in that theory because I can't imagine that would be something he would have forgotten and while he may not have felt it was all that important, I think he would have mentioned it at least once during his statements. 

Knowing whether it was a spare key or the only key to the truck he had that night could offer a change in perspective.  For now, I assume it was a spare key or key to a different vehicle, but I just don't know.

Offline DiwataMan

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

Knowing whether it was a spare key or the only key to the truck he had that night could offer a change in perspective.  For now, I assume it was a spare key or key to a different vehicle, but I just don't know.

The depressing part is that this, along with many other things discussed, will probably not be know until the trial and some things will never be known. The flow of evidence to the public for the most part stopped months ago and I doubt anything more will be released to the public again, at least not through the SAO website, court website or O'Mara's site. It'll still be public information though, you'll just have to do a FOIA request for what you want if the trial doesn't satisfy any answers you seek.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
The key chain with the mini flashlight looks like an extra remote lock/panic button. I thought for a very long time that all it was was just a remote lock/panic button and not an actual key until I looked it up.

(p. 108, 118 of the pdf)

I can not explain why the actual metal ignition key is not seen in the crime scene photos.

Side by side.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »
I can not explain why the actual metal ignition key is not seen in the crime scene photos.

I think part of the key blade is visible. It's hard to see among the grass blades.

Offline Departure

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
I still wonder whether its possible to pull GZ's words out from Sean talking over him around the 3:10 mark of the NEN call.
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that after GZ says "You'll see my truck" at approximately 3:16/3:17, what he next says, while Sean is speaking, is "You'll see me by my truck".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:32:13 PM by Departure »

Offline Departure

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Just wanted to bring up another thing, re: the flashlight(s), that I hear in the NEN call that I can't recall anybody else mentioning.

Right after GZ gives his last name "Zimmerman" to the dispatcher/Sean, as he's apparently trying to get his flashlight to turn on, and Sean asks him "And George, what's the phone number you're calling from?", at 2:44, in the background, I believe George says "sh*t, it doesn't work", or just "sh*t, doesn't work", referring to the flashlight(s).

I also believe I hear a third voice (possibly TM's voice), earlier in the NEN call, but I suppose this thread isn't the appropriate place to discuss that.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
Well, neither Zimmerman nor the young lady make any mention of a verbal exchange between Zimmerman and Martin prior to the one supposed to have occured just before things got physical

In the Hannity interview, Zimmerman said that when Martin approached the truck, Zimmerman could see that he was speaking, without hearing what he said.

Offline Departure

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:54 AM »
Well, neither Zimmerman nor the young lady make any mention of a verbal exchange between Zimmerman and Martin prior to the one supposed to have occured just before things got physical, so I'm not sure who, or who else, it might have been or how they happened to have been close enough to Zimmerman's phone.
I don't hear an "exchange" really, just perhaps a single word, from a voice that isn't Sean's or George's.  GZ was speaking at the time, so it's possible he didn't hear it.

More likely explanation is that if there is someone else's voice, it was picked up on the dispatcher's end of things.
Very possible, though the timing would be exceptionally coincidental, as it occurs in the segment of the call when TM is supposedly just outside GZ's truck.  I'm curious if the NEN dispatchers' microphones have any sort of background noise cancellation technology incorporated to reduce such interferences.  While I ponder that, I do clearly hear what appears to be a background ringing (or similar) noise right after Sean says "You're welcome" at the conclusion of the NEN call.

As for "sh*t, doesn't work", is that the same spot in the call where others have claimed to have heard something like "sh*t gun"?
I'm not familiar with others mentioning that, though I imagine that's likely.

In the Hannity interview, Zimmerman said that when Martin approached the truck, Zimmerman could see that he was speaking, without hearing what he said.
I'm all but certain that I hear a third voice right as GZ is saying to the dispatcher (as I hear it) "Please go get an officer over here".  It can be heard at 1:29, right between the words "over" and "here", perhaps beginning just as GZ finishes the word "over".  To me, it really sounds like it's being picked up by GZ's phone rather than the dispatcher's mic, but of course I can't be sure.

One thing that may call what I think I hear into question is that during the CVSA interview, GZ is talking about the moment when TM approaches his vehicle, and GZ says his windows were up (all the way?), because it was raining, and that he didn't hear if TM said anything.  Here is a link to that particular part of that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cEqhj5dBY&t=27m55s

I'd be very interested for others to report if they are able to hear what I hear.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:08:31 AM by Departure »

Site Meter
click
tracking