Author Topic: Executive Order of the Governor 12-279  (Read 1978 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Executive Order of the Governor 12-279
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:32 AM »
Added to both George's and Shellie's case files on Jan. 4, 2013.

I looked for, but couldn't find, a copy of the executive order. I speculate this is an executive order that adds to the special prosecutor's jurisdiction cases related to or arising from George's case, in an attempt to overcome any problems with the SP's authority to prosecute Shellie. If it is, I wonder if the governor can retroactively empower the SP to indict Shellie (assuming she lacked that power prior to the new EO).

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Executive Order of the Governor 12-279
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »
Added to both George's and Shellie's case files on Jan. 4, 2013.

I speculate this is an executive order that adds to the special prosecutor's jurisdiction cases related to or arising from George's case, in an attempt to overcome any problems with the SP's authority to prosecute Shellie.

Some such language was in the original order. I don't remember the exact words, but as I recall the gist of it was just what you said. If that doesn't cover Shellie's case, he would need to add something more explicit.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:31 AM »
The original EO 12-72 is for duties "as they relate to the investigation and all matters pertaining to the death of Trayvon Martin." I suppose arguably Shellie's case isn't directly related to the investigation of Martin's death, though I never found that argument too convincing. At least not unless there's case law in a similar situation holding that the authorization should be narrowly construed. I looked for some, and couldn't find anything of that sort.

The original EO is for one year, starting March 22, 2012, so perhaps the new EO is just an early re-authorization.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
The executive order is now on the court website. It does nothing more than extend the special prosecutor's authority until Mar. 22, 2014. Any disputes over the special prosecutor's authority to prosecute Shellie are unaffected.

Site Meter
click
tracking