State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Evidence Discussion

The Button and the Headphones

(1/17) > >>

nomatter_nevermind:
I'm starting a new thread for these two items. I don't like discussing them in a thread whose very title includes disputed information.

--- Quote from: MJW on January 11, 2013, 09:54:59 PM ---The report the headphones were in his pocket could have (and likely did) come from Diana Smith's report on page 80

--- End quote ---

I think it came from CST Smith herself, making a careless entry when she logged the items. Her report doesn't say all the DMS-10 items were in pockets.

I think the letters on the evidence tags are the initials of the person who logged the item. The first item is Zimmerman's gun, and it has Timothy Smith's initials.

It seems ME Investigator Tara Malphurs collected the items on Martin's person. That probably included the earphones because the blanket had been covering them, at the time the other items on the ground were being identified and given object markers.

Malphurs would have given the items she collected to CST Smith, who transported and logged them.

CST Smith's report (80/184) doesn't say she witnessed the collection of those items.

Comparing the reports, I think the ME people arrived around the time Smith and Ciesla finished measuring the items on the ground. Smith proceeded to collect those items, while Ciesla observed the preliminary examination of the body.

MJW:
nomatter_nevermind, you've said several times that you think the headphones were found on the ground near Martin's body. I doubt that for at least three reasons. First, they were not marked with an evidence marker like the cell phone, flashlights, medical kit, and plastic bags. Second, CST Smith specifically said they were in Martin's pockets or on him. Third, they were in the same DMS-10 group as other items which were certainly on Martin's person.

MJW:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on January 11, 2013, 10:50:54 PM ---It seems ME Investigator Tara Malphurs collected the items on Martin's person. That probably included the earphones because the blanket had been covering them, at the time the other items on the ground were being identified and given object markers.

Malphurs would have given the items she collected to CST Smith, who transported and logged them.

CST Smith's report (80/184) doesn't say she witnessed the collection of those items.

Comparing the reports, I think the ME people arrived around the time Smith and Ciesla finished measuring the items on the ground. Smith proceeded to collect those items, while Ciesla observed the preliminary examination of the body.

--- End quote ---

According to the Crime Scene Contamination Log (48-49/284), CST Smith arrived at 8:03 PM, Malphurs at 9:45 PM.

MJW:
Ciesla arrived at 8:14 PM.

MJW:
Did Tara Malphurs not write a report? Her title is M.E. Investigator, and she seemed to be deeply involved in the initial investigation. It's hard to believe she didn't submit a report, but I haven't been able to find one. As nomatter_nevermind mentioned in the DeeDee thread, she's been deposed by the defense, in a deposition that allowed for up to 90 minutes. From the fairly lengthy time, it seems apparent the defense was quite interested in what she had to say. I sure wish we could see some information from the deposition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version