Author Topic: Local TV Interviews Forensic Expert, 2/8  (Read 2442 times)

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Local TV Interviews Forensic Expert, 2/8
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
WKMG Local 6 News

Michael Knox, a retired Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detective and crime scene investigator, published some of the findings in his book, "Intermediate Range: The Forensic Evidence in the Killing of Trayvon Martin" (available through Amazon.com here).

The medical examiner determined the gunshot was fired from "intermediate range," but the hoodie showed a "contact" shot, indicating the muzzle of Zimmerman's gun was touching or extremely close to the fabric when the shot was fired.

Knox explained that the loose fitting sweatshirt was farther away from the body because of gravity, which pulled it down as Martin was situated above Zimmerman.

That is consistent with Zimmerman's claim that he was on his back struggling with Martin when he reached for the gun, pointed it upward and fired, Knox said.

He also noted that both Martin and Zimmerman had more time than they needed to get to their respective alleged destinations.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:01:11 AM by TalkLeft »

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Local TV Interviews Forensic Expert, 2/8
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
His book has been out for a few months.  Judging from what I see in the article and on Amazon, I see nothing that would be new to a reader of this forum.  If the can was in a front pocket of the hoodie, it certainly would have make it dangle a distance away from Trayvon's body.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
His conclusions were:

If Zimmerman's retelling of the event were accurate, the confrontation Zimmerman described with Martin would have occurred much sooner than it actually did;

Zimmerman covered more time and distance after leaving his truck that night than he revealed to police; based on the times and distances Zimmerman said he covered, Zimmerman would have still been on the phone with Sanford police when he claims he was attacked by Martin;

had Martin walked directly to his destination, his fatherís girlfriend's townhome, he would have made it there safely before Zimmerman ended his nonemergency call to Sanford police;

Martin was in fact leaning over Zimmerman when the fatal shot was fired, just as Zimmerman has maintained.

The one conclusion I'd dispute is "covered more ... distance." With the evidence released so far, I don't see any way to know that Zimmerman covered more distance. He could have waited for a minute or so  at the "T" on the way up, or on RVC when he reached there, or both. I haven't seen the other news segment yet, so I don't know if the investigator addresses that point.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:15 PM »
Video, with visual illustrations of Knox's work, and discussion by an anchor, a reporter, and a defense attorney.

The 'covered more ... distance' line isn't mentioned. I think it was just a throwaway line. I concur that no evidence I know of supports it.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
Judging from what I see in the article and on Amazon, I see nothing that would be new to a reader of this forum.

I recall that on the blog we discussed the meaning of 'intermediate range'. We established that different labs and medical examiners use different standards for such terms. I don't recall getting beyond that. That's not to say I couldn't have missed something.

Sourcing matters. Whatever was said on the blog or the forum, it doesn't have the credibility of a forensics expert with a history of testifying for prosecutors.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
I recall that on the blog we discussed the meaning of 'intermediate range'. We established that different labs and medical examiners use different standards for such terms. I don't recall getting beyond that. That's not to say I couldn't have missed something.

Sourcing matters. Whatever was said on the blog or the forum, it doesn't have the credibility of a forensics expert with a history of testifying for prosecutors.

I don't believe the ME specified any distance other than intermediate, which I later heard described as 1"-20".  There was a March 22 FDLE report that upon examining TM's clothing, Amy Siewart called the residue found as being consistent with a "contact shot" (see first discovery page 122).  I believe others have commented on the stippling marks on the skin and that to get that sort of skin burn through 2 layers of clothing requires very close contact to the weapon.

Offline DebFrmHell

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »
I don't believe the ME specified any distance other than intermediate, which I later heard described as 1"-20".  There was a March 22 FDLE report that upon examining TM's clothing, Amy Siewart called the residue found as being consistent with a "contact shot" (see first discovery page 122).  I believe others have commented on the stippling marks on the skin and that to get that sort of skin burn through 2 layers of clothing requires very close contact to the weapon.

IIRC, the clothing was the contact shot.  The skin listed as being intermediate.  The clothing was not against his body when the shot was fired so the distance would be less than, for example, 6 inches.  Probably closer to 4 inches but I am no expert.

At anything.  Jack of all Trades.  Master of None.   :)

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
I see there's been no discussion of Mr. Knox here,

There's a thread under the 'Media' topic.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:32:32 AM »
The written autopsy notes that the bullet passed through Martin's left ventricle

Right ventricle.

The left ventricle was undamaged and continued to beat. That's why Martin's body showed signs of cyanosis, from circulation of under-oxygenated blood.

Offline FromBelow

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
I suspect Jeralyn will remove this entire thread since LLMPapa's video series is based on a theory from a blog that I won't link to but whose owner and posters have been the source of a number of ridiculous theories.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »

I'd be more favorably disposed to listen to a forensics expert who did not have a history of testifying exclusively for just the defense or just the prosecution.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
I suspect Jeralyn will remove this entire thread since LLMPapa's video series is based on a theory from a blog that I won't link to but whose owner and posters have been the source of a number of ridiculous theories.

You are right. I initially thought the thread was about Knox so I merged it into the existing topic on him here. Now I see it's about some person named Papas who has no connection to the case who posts on a biased blog somewhere.  So I'm deleting the comments referring to him and his work. If you want to discuss him, do it on his blog or wherever his work appears.

Site Meter
click
tracking