Author Topic: Depositions of Serino and Others  (Read 3184 times)

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Depositions of Serino and Others
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Chris Serino was recently deposed by the defense team. I'd noticed several new deposition notices in the detailed case view, but didn't know who the might be for until Nettles18 posted a link to the OS article on CTH. The article also says Cheryl Brown was deposed. If that's true, it's interesting since she was already deposed, along with her daughter, on Jan 18. It's unusual that a witness is deposed more than once, and unless the state agrees, it generally requires the court's permission. There's no motion seeking a second deposition for Brown, so the state likely agreed to it.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Depositions of Serino and Others
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
Do you know if Austin has been deposed?

Maybe they need his mother again because of something he said.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
Do you know if Austin has been deposed?

As far as I know, he hasn't. Unfortunately, neither GZLegalCase nor the court's website seem to be very punctual or thorough in posting information, but there hasn't been a deposition notice for him, and the Orlando Sentinel hasn't said he was deposed. The defense probably wants as much background as possible before asking him questions, though it seems to me there's a certain extra risk in deposing his mother and sister first, instead of deposing them all on the same day.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

On Jan 18, Brown was deposed first, then her daughter. Maybe they need Brown again because of something her daughter said.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
Subpoenas to depose:

Christopher Serino on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Cheryl Brown on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Amanda Stephens on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Subpoenas to depose:

Christopher Serino on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Cheryl Brown on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Amanda Stephens on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Is Amanda Stephens, Cheryl Brown's daughter ?  I thought the surname of Cheryl's children is McClendon.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »
TalkLeft from Dec. 4, 2012:

State Releases New George Zimmerman Discovery

There are also new reports on the attempts to get information from Trayvon Martin's cell phone.

On March 27, they got a court order for T-Mobile to provide call detail records and cell site location for Trayvon's phone. On March 28, they received call detail records, subscriber and billing information and historical location data for the phone for the period 1/1/12 to 3/1/12. The results were analyzed by Crime Intelligence Analyst Amanda Stephens. From earlier discovery, here is the page showing this is Trayvon's phone.

Offline RickyJim

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
What is "historical location data"?  Is that tower information rather than GPS?  Does anybody know definitely that the phone company doesn't store GPS information?

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
What is "historical location data"?  Is that tower information rather than GPS? 

I would think it could mean either or both. They might have used a blanket term because they were getting both.

OTOH, my understanding is that raw ping logs wouldn't have actual locations. They would just show how long each tower waited for a response to each ping. Translating that into location data would take some math, estimating the distance from the tower for each ping, and triangulating two or more towers to estimate each location.

I think GPS data would give the locations directly.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
Historical cell phone locator data is past, stored data, as opposed to real-time or prospective data. Courts have expended a great deal of effort distinguishing between the legal requirements to obtain each one.

Also, this thread is about Serino's deposition, so please discuss the cell records themselves in a thread on that topic.

Site Meter
click
tracking