State v. George Zimmerman (Pre-Trial) > Martin Family & Team Crump

"He Was Sitting Out On The Porch."

(1/9) > >>

nomatter_nevermind:
This comes up now and then in threads where it isn't on topic, so I think it needs it's own.

2/27/12, 1:12-25

--- Quote ---Brandy Green: He don't know anybody here. He just came down here. He was bored. So he walked to the store. He was on his way back home. I'm living down here. He was sitting out on the porch. And this man killed him? Are you serious?
--- End quote ---

3/22/12, 1:29-44

--- Quote ---Tracy Martin: It wasn't even a football length's field, football field length, away from the back door. About seventy yards. Seventy yards at best. He was trying to get home. Right down the street. We was sitting out on the back.
--- End quote ---

3/22/12, 0:35-44

--- Quote ---Tracy Martin: I don't know the exact path he took, but he did come in that back gate. And I know he was going to the back of the house. He was sitting out there.
--- End quote ---

It is often suggested that these statements indicate that after Trayvon Martin visited the 7-11 on 2/26/12, he returned to the townhome and sat on the patio for a time, before the shooting. This doesn't make sense to me.

None of the statements say explicitly that Martin reached the townhome. Two imply that he did not.

Brandy Green

--- Quote ---He was on his way back home.
--- End quote ---

Tracy Martin

--- Quote ---He was trying to get home.
--- End quote ---

The lawyers speaking for the family, have consistently maintained that Trayvon was on his way home at the time of the shooting. This is also the position of the prosecution's Affidavit of Probable Cause.

Sitting on a patio in the rain, even a covered patio, doesn't seem likely to me. The wind would blow the rain in and the seating would get wet.

How would Brandy and Tracy know that Trayvon was sitting on the patio? They say they were out, and Chad says he didn't see Trayvon after he left for the 7-11. Maybe they aren't all telling the truth, but I know of no actual evidence for that.

Brandy was speaking on the very day she learned of Trayvon's death. Tracy lost his own son. To me it seems clear that their minds wandered in their grief, making context-free allusions to some earlier occasion. In one of the quotes, Tracy said that 'We was sitting out on the back', not Trayvon alone.

MJW:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on February 28, 2013, 09:12:24 PM ---Brandy was speaking on the very day she learned of Trayvon's death. Tracy lost his own son. To me it seems clear that their minds wandered in their grief, making context-free allusions to some earlier occasion. In one of the quotes, Tracy said that 'We was sitting out on the back', not Trayvon alone.

--- End quote ---

It does seem quite strange that both their minds would wander back to the same image of Martin sitting on the  porch.

nomatter_nevermind:

--- Quote from: MJW on February 28, 2013, 09:46:52 PM ---It does seem quite strange that both their minds would wander back to the same image of Martin sitting on the  porch.

--- End quote ---

We don't know that it was the same image. They may have been thinking of different occasions when he was sitting on the patio.

He may have been spending most of his time on the patio, talking on the phone to his friends in Miami.

Without knowing more about such things, I don't think we are in a position to say it is strange.

MJW:

--- Quote from: nomatter_nevermind on February 28, 2013, 09:56:27 PM ---We don't know that it was the same image. They may have been thinking of different occasions when he was sitting on the patio.

--- End quote ---

I didn't mean their two images were synchronized to the second. I just meant it's weird they both had mental cutaways to Martin sitting of the porch. That one of them would do so strikes me as slightly odd. That they'd both do so is oddness squared. Even if he sat on the porch all day, I'd still find it strange they'd both bring it up in that context.

unitron:
I think their reaction was more along the lines of "Old man Miller's dead?  But I was talking to him in the grocery store just yesterday!", than an intended chronologically consistent statement of fact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version