Author Topic: "He Was Sitting Out On The Porch."  (Read 10814 times)

Offline whonoze

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: "He Was Sitting Out On The Porch."
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Why hasn't anybody asked Brandy or Tracy about these statements during the past year?  Is it because reporters and lawyers don't know about them or Brandy and Tracy were so upset and confused at the time they said them that the answer to why they said them is obvious, viz. they were just blurting out an image of Trayvon they had in their minds?

It might be a bit of the latter. Fox 35 intercepted Brandy and Tracy on the morning of the 27th as they walked up the dog-walk to take their first look at the spot where Trayvon was killed. But, for reporters anyway, it's probably more that they just don't ask the parents of dead kids why they said X or Y. Not that this is out of respect so much as just outside the "victim's parent grieves" or "victim's parent pleads for justice and reform" news frames, which follow a 'human interest' formula. You would see the same thing with the Sandy Hook parents: if any of them said something that could be considered odd, no one would ask them "Why did you say that?"

Lawyers, on the other hand, may well have asked Green and Martin to clarify their comments, and we just don't know about it. Perhaps because the lawyers concluded there was no there there once they got their answers and didn't feel the matter was worth discussion.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
Why hasn't anybody asked Brandy or Tracy about these statements during the past year?  Is it because reporters and lawyers don't know about them or Brandy and Tracy were so upset and confused at the time they said them that the answer to why they said them is obvious, viz. they were just blurting out an image of Trayvon they had in their minds?

I think your answer would be found in looking at when Tracy first contacted a lawyer and what he said to police when they were asking for his help in obtaining access to TM's cell phone.  After that moment, I think everything else was controlled by Crump and Julison.  BG and Chad did do one interview, but I don;t recall the date and I don't think we've seen or heard from them since.  Once the "living with his fiance" narrative was debunked, and Chad relayed his need for Skittles, there wasn't much use for them.

Offline Evil Chinchilla

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

Tracy and Brandy made those comments the day after the shooting.

Sorry, that's not correct.

The dates are in the first post.

Brandy's comment was the day after the shooting, 2/27. Both of Tracy's were on 3/22, over three weeks later. I know of no others.

The problem is, when the 2/27 Fox35 interview with BG-- in which Tracy also made comments-- was cited in print, the comments made by BG got misattributed:
On Monday afternoon, a FOX 35 News crew met with Tracy Martin who said the victim in the shooting is her 17-year-old son, Trayvon, who was visiting from Miami.

"He walked out of the house to go to the store. He was going to the store," she said. "He doesn't know anybody here. He just came down here, so he was bored, so he walked down to the store. He was on his way back home. I'm living down here. He was sitting on the porch and this man killed him."

Some sources compounded the error by "correcting" Tracy's gender, rather than by correctly reattributing the quotes to BG. This created the impression that both had maintained on 2/27 that he was "on the porch and this man killed him."

Even worse, Fox35 continued to print the error on its website, even through the "update" dated 4/10, quoted above:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/17374352/trayvon-martin-shot-and-killed-in-neighborhood-altercation

Jeralyn called Fox35 on this back on 4/22:
[Note: While the Fox news Orlando article dated Feb. 27 that accompanies the video misidentifies Brandy Green, Tracy Martin's fiance, saying she is "Tracy Martin, Trayon's mother", when Tracy Martin is Trayvon's father and Trayvon's mother is Sybrina Fuller, it's not an error that impacts the story, the video doesn't confuse them, and the error in the article may be understandable since it was written before the Martins became household names. Still, Fox Orlando should fix that.]

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2012/4/22/54738/3187

As for why BG and Tracy ever said the comments about TM "on the porch" and what they meant by it, only they can answer.  But they did both say it at one point or another-- with Tracy continuing with a version of it on 3/22-- and their comments were reported in the media.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:41:03 PM by Evil Chinchilla »

Offline AghastInFL

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
It might be a bit of the latter. Fox 35 intercepted Brandy and Tracy on the morning of the 27th as they walked up the dog-walk to take their first look at the spot where Trayvon was killed. But, for reporters anyway, it's probably more that they just don't ask the parents of dead kids why they said X or Y. Not that this is out of respect so much as just outside the "victim's parent grieves" or "victim's parent pleads for justice and reform" news frames, which follow a 'human interest' formula. You would see the same thing with the Sandy Hook parents: if any of them said something that could be considered odd, no one would ask them "Why did you say that?"

Lawyers, on the other hand, may well have asked Green and Martin to clarify their comments, and we just don't know about it. Perhaps because the lawyers concluded there was no there there once they got their answers and didn't feel the matter was worth discussion.

Actually I believe it was more that Tracy and Brandy decided to intercept the reporter.  Otherwise they could have sat silently in her home until they finished filming.

Not enough facts were known at that time to formulate any question of the narrative or statement from the father and Brandy.

Offline nomatter_nevermind

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
BG and Chad did do one interview, but I don't recall the date and I don't think we've seen or heard from them since. 

Geraldo, 4/2/12

The same day as Dee Dee's SAO interview. Coincidence?

I also don't know that Brandy or Chad has given a press interview of any kind since.

I think few reporters want to ask probing questions of Trayvon's relations , or even his friends, because of the grief angle and also the racial angle. If there are exceptions, I'm sure it hasn't been hard for Tracy to avoid them.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
The problem is, when the 2/27 Fox35 interview with BG-- in which Tracy also made comments-- was cited in print, the comments made by BG got misattributed

Good catch.

I remember that well. In the early days I warned people to ignore the print every time I cited the video. It didn't occur to me that it could still be source of confusion.

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
Actually I believe it was more that Tracy and Brandy decided to intercept the reporter.  ...

As I recall they were looking at the area and the reporter walked up to them and only then found out who they were.

Unless the reporter staged that.

In which case the word "reporter" is not the one which should be used.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
As I recall they were looking at the area and the reporter walked up to them and only then found out who they were.

Here's the link again.

At 0:12, the reporter, identified as Keith Landry, is on the dogwalk, a few units south of the shooting site. Tracy and Brandy are visible behind him in the distance, walking toward him on the sidewalk.

The reporter walks toward the shooting site, points it out, and points out the back of W-6's unit. Then there is a cut to the famous behind-the-front-door interview of W-6, intercut with clips of police working the crime scene the previous night.

At 0:56 the video cuts back to the backyard. Now the camera points north, and Tracy and Brandy are walking from that direction, taking a few steps before stopping near the shooting site. The reporter isn't in frame, but I think it's the same voice.

Reporter: Was that a friend of yours?

Tracy: That was my son.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
I can think of a couple of reasons they may have thought TM was on the porch before GZ killed him.  One is that TM may have left something there.

At most that would show that he was there, or close enough to toss something on the patio. It wouldn't show that he was sitting on the patio.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
Its a fair point, though it would probably depend what was there.  I'm of the impression they've got no idea (like Dee Dee) whether he could have been sitting, standing, lying down or never even there.  I'm certain if TM did drop something off on the porch that night, we are never going to see it or hear about it before a trial.  I'm more interested in Chad's story. 

Offline IgnatiusJDonnelly

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
He definately was not on the porch. GZ said he came out from one of the yards.
RZ said "from behind the bushes". IF TM had made it it back to BG's then returned to the T
GZ would have noticed him walking toward him.

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
IF TM had made it it back to BG's then returned to the T GZ would have noticed him walking toward him.

Patio to T is about a one minute walk. Martin had time to sit on the porch, or go in the house and putter around, and then return to somewhere near the T, while Zimmerman loitered on RVC.

Offline leftwig

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
He definately was not on the porch. GZ said he came out from one of the yards.
RZ said "from behind the bushes". IF TM had made it it back to BG's then returned to the T
GZ would have noticed him walking toward him.

Depends where GZ spent most of the time after losing sight of TM.  I believe he stated that he spent much of that time talking to Sean while on RVC which means he wouldn't have seen TM coming back.  It seems there was roughly 3 and 1/2  minutes of elapsed time between the time GZ says he ran and he appears yelling out to him.  If TM ran at a reasonable pace (somewhere between a jog and a sprint) it would have taken about 20-25 seconds to get to the back porch.  He could have walked back to the 'T' in 60-90 seconds, depending how cautiously he was moving, so lets say 2 minutes total leaving another minute and a half.  Presuming these two travel events are correct, what did he do with the other minute and a half? 

As I said earlier, I don't think TM ever actually sat on the porch for that minute and a half, but that there may have been some evidence that he had been there or maybe even poked his head inside to let Chad know he was back, but was stepping back outside.   I think BG had some reason to believe TM had gotten to the porch (something left there or Chad told them TM had reached home) and her comment was spontaneous.  I just have a hard time accepting that Chad was so worried about when his Skittles were returning that he called TM an hour or so after he left home to see where he was, but upon being told he was on his way back from the store, didn't have enough concern to call him or anyone when TM hadn't returned 3 and 1/2 hours later.

Offline TalkLeft

• Administrator
  • Rate Post +0/-0
    • TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
You are all way off topic of Brandy Green, Tracy Martin and the porch comments. Please stop, and discuss the lighting in the backyards and other witnesses in their threads. I locked the thread to clean it and have reopened it, but please stay on topic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:09:48 PM by TalkLeft »

Site Meter
click
tracking