Author Topic: Florida Gun Laws  (Read 6237 times)

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
Florida Gun Laws
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
Anybody happen to know for certain, and know where I can find it online, if there's a Florida law that addresses one way or the other whether a concealed carry licensee or anyone else can carry with a round chambered?

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
Re: Florida Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Anybody happen to know for certain, and know where I can find it online, if there's a Florida law that addresses one way or the other whether a concealed carry licensee or anyone else can carry with a round chambered?

The concealed-carry statute doesn't mention rounds in the chamber. Do you really think that after all this time none of Trayvon's Army would have discovered it wasn't allowed if it weren't?

Zimmerman's pistol was a double-action only semiautomatic. They're often carried with a round in the chamber.

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »
You can search the entire Weapons and Firearms chapter if you wish.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:36:21 PM by MJW »

Offline unitron

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »
The concealed-carry statute doesn't mention rounds in the chamber. Do you really think that after all this time none of Trayvon's Army would have discovered it wasn't allowed if it weren't?

Zimmerman's pistol was a double-action only semiautomatic. They're often carried with a round in the chamber.

I think one of that army has confused the part about not carrying loaded shotguns and rifles with something they read a long time ago in another state, but want to be sure.

Annoyingly enough, 709.06 makes no mention one way or the other about having ammunition in the gun.

Offline Cylinder

• Rate Post +0/-0
  • IANAL
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
There is no state that prohibits concealed carry permitees to carry chambered. Florida CCW curriculum covers carry conditions (3,2,1,0) in their firearm safety unit. From a layperson standpoint, one of the problems carrying Condition 3 (chamber empty, mag loaded) is that chambering a round can be portrayed as the starting point for the decision to use force - that is, I get into an argument, decide to chamber a round "just in case" and suddenly I am cast as the aggressor.  Of course, from a purely tactical standpoint, unholstering an unloaded firearm presents retention and timing issues.

One of the reasons for my permit is the fact that I close my freinds bar out in the sticks from time-to-time and carry the till. Since licensed establishments are off-limits (other than resteraunt licenses) I cannot carry there. After talking to the sheriff and getting some guidance from the state, I was instructed I could have a firearm in the employee-only area (the back office) while the bar was open. Once the doors are locked then I can gear up and go from there. As a precaution, I always bring my firearm in at Condition 4 (empty chamber/no magazine).

Offline MJW

• Rate Post +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »
I think one of that army has confused the part about not carrying loaded shotguns and rifles with something they read a long time ago in another state, but want to be sure.

As I'm sure you already know, it's best to be skeptical of people on either side of the issue who claim the law says such-and-such unless they refer to a specific statute or court case. I'm amazed how many people mistake their vague recollections for established facts.

Site Meter
click
tracking